Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where Miami Stands in Improved Pass Protect for Tannehill

1. -11
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Yes I know they were all pass plays. What I meant to express, but didn't do a good job of explaining, was that Incognito probably had more reps/practice at pass pro, so there should be some improvement expected there. But ... The amount of improvement needed still clearly prevents him from being labeled a solution at this point.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Yeah, Shelly is going to have to step up quite a bit to be a legit NFL starting OG. Crazy thing to say but, based on talent alone, Cog is the best available option to fill our need at OG. Never happen but, he would solidify the OL on the field.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If you went by the stats on how many hand jobs they got at tootsies strip club incognito and martin are pro bowlers/future hall of famers.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    That's a part of it, as is the D knowing RT was gonna throw with no respect for the run. When you pin your ears back to go after a QB, with no thought of a run, I'm guessing that has to add half a second to the pass rush, maybe more overall.
    Half a second is a huge amount -- re: the context of what we're talking about. Pressure. Rushes. Number of rushers. More coverage on WRs. Less skilled WRs 2-5. Pedestrian TE that puts zero pressure on passing D. Zero run game threat.

Add that together and it's a miracle that Tanny is not seriously injured.

LD
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Phin fan since 1970!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Think again. Lazors offense last year was number 1 in rushing. I think we will be running more then last year so Shelley is signed to run block.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Xbox Logo
Gift received at 07-03-2014, 03:24 PM from CallMeDaddyChevy Logo
Gift received at 06-24-2014, 08:43 PM from D0lphan72
Gift received at 01-14-2014, 08:29 PM from PeytonsForehead
Message: Checking to see if this really works.2013 Dolphins Logo
    i think Miami had the least amount of rushing attempts in the nfl, so saying they will run more, isn't saying much.
    Last edited by truedolfan57; 05-07-2014 at 01:24 AM.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    dont forget Moreno. with our tepid running attack last year, at least now we have a guy who can pick up blitzers
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Those of you thinking Shelley will be some kind of improvement need to think again. We are a passing team and he is a run blocker. Let's look a little closer at the Incognito comparison.

In 312 plays--mostly pass plays--Incognito allowed 6-3-2, which is only 11 negative plays.

By comparison, Shelley in 200 plays--with a significantly higher percentage being run plays--gave up 2-4-12, for a total of 18 negative plays. If we extend that out to 312 plays for comparison purposes that would be 28 negative plays.

So, where Incognito gave us 11 negative plays we could expect Shelley to give us 28 negative plays. That is by no means an improvement. That is a disaster of epic proportions. No, Shelley is not a starter, he is a project.

I'm all for developing him, but if he is anywhere close to as terrible as he was last year he should only see the field on obvious running downs like protecting a lead, short yardage or goal line situations.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Doesn't take into account coaching, progression or system.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by truedolfan57 View Post
    i think Miami had the least amount of rushing attempts in the nfl, so saying they will run more, isn't saying much.
    I doubt he was saying that.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Seer of Visions

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    Most are locked in on 58 sacks, worse since 2007. The average was 30-35 sacks in the NFL. I goes a little deeper in 7 sacks were on the team in not having a blocker on a blitz, and 10 sacks were on RT, RB's, and TE's. We all hope that Lazor will correct some of these problems, as well as players getting better. I'm guessing that we can bring this number down to around 10.

Then, there is the OL which individually gave up 41 sacks, far from good. Here's a closer look.

LT- McKinnie, in 428 tries, gave up 7 sacks, 9 hits, and 23 hurries. Martin, with 270 tries at LT, gave up 6-5-12. Combined, 13-14-35. Albert, on 500 tries, gave up 4 sacks, 6 hits, and 13 hurries. HUGE difference.

C- Pouncey, in 594 tries, gave up 3-3-9 and was the best C in pass blocking in the NFL. The same would be great.

LG- Cog,in 312 tries, gave up 6-3-2, Brenner 1-2-10, and Garner 2-1-8. Combined 9-6- 20. Shelly, in 200 tries was 2-4-12. He does not have to set the world on fire to be better than the overall pass protect at LG.

RG- Jerry, in 681 tries, gave up 5-4-16. The sacks were a little high for an OG but, overall he played well on the pass. I think Dallas, Brenner or, a vet can come fairly close to offsetting Jerry here, hope so.

RT- Clabo, while playing much better after 5 games, gave up 11-10-31 for the year, and Martin chimed in wit 1-2-3 in his one game. This is where we NEED to do something to be better this year.

We can add in Benton to this equation but, he needs the talent to work with. Lat year at Houston, they gave up 27 sacks but, 55 hits, and 180 hurries, compared to 23-39-97 in 2012, and last year, Miami was 58-42- 131.

There is still some time to fix the right side but, opportunities have dwindled since FA, and the draft looks very questionable at this point.
    58 sacks is TOP TEN ALL-TIME......its more than bad.

I see plenty of opportunities to fix this O-line in this draft...even if we do draft a playmaker in round one.

I like the idea of taking an impact receiver or defensive player and spending rounds 2-4 doubling down on prospects at tackle and guard.
    Jay Fiedler can take his'n and lose to your'n.....or take your'n and lose to his'n.

Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by FinfanInBuffalo View Post
    There is a giant item missing from nearly all of these discussions sacks, how many pass rushers were needed to generate the pressure. IMO, FAR TOO MANY pressures and sacks came with only 4 or 5 (sometimes 3) rushers. This was the bigger issue with the Dolphins OL last year.
    Yep, and thats on coaching. If you have 6 blockers vs 4 rushers, that's scheme or people not knowing assignments.

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Los Dolfins View Post
    Its not just about sacks. Its about the hurries and the hits. Those force the QB to be inaccurate, off timing throws, check downs, and flinching in 4th Q. Pressure was the killer of the Fins offense last year, pressure on the QB.
    Lets add run blocking to that equation too.
    Quote Quote