Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "I'm not a draftnik. I am a draft philosopher, though."

1. -1
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks

"I'm not a draftnik. I am a draft philosopher, though."

I have to agree with Hyde for the most part and would definitely try the trade up in the second route over a trade down (depending on the board obv) and in this particular draft I would be trying to trade a 2015 pick to get back into the early second or early third (again, depending on the board).

I narrow down and judge picks by a developed philosophy. My Rule No. 1 is this: With a Top 15 pick, you ALWAYS take a player who scores touchdowns, sacks the quarterback or makes game-changing plays on defense.
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...0,390480.story
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Not Even Lazor Can Save Us

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I too am a philsophizerer. My Rule No. 2 is this: With a 2nd round pick, you ALWAYS take a player who will be on the team in 5 years.
    Joe Philbin says, "Jim Turner was a great coach. He made sure shoes were tied at all times and that no gum wrappers touched the field."
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Phin fan since 1970!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rule number 3: Dont trade down before its your turn if a player like Randy Moss is in the draft....Sheesh!
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St Helens, Or
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I thought the first rule was "don't talk about fight club"?
    Failure isn't fatal. Failure to change might be. - John Wooden
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Draft a guy in rOund 1 and 2 who you are going to play as rookies. That would be mine
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You know what's just as good as preseason starting? The end of the draft......
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MP-Omnis View Post
    I too am a philsophizerer. My Rule No. 2 is this: With a 2nd round pick, you ALWAYS take a player who will be on the team in 5 years.
    In Miami's case you'd be doing better than Ireland if the 2nd pick made it past year 2 lol.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    LTJG

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Austin, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hyde's "Rule No. 1" more clearly stated is: "With a Top 15 pick, never take an offensive lineman." That is the only position that does not score touchdowns, sack the quarterback, or make game-changing plays on defense (not counting kickers).
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like Dave Hyde. Nice guy, pleasant to read, seems to be a fan of the Dolphins. But, over the years it seems clear to me he really doesn't know football. While he could well be right ... I don't really hold his opinion in high regard. So no matter what he suggests I simply keep my own counsel.

The best draft stuff he ever published was when he had the Universal Draft guys (Simon, CK, and I can't recall the other guy name) give him draft knowledge.

So, at least he understands who he is and recognizes that this isn't really his strength.

What Dave doesn't understand is that the draft is by far the most rewarding of the 3 avenues of team building (draft, FA, and trades). Unfortunately, it is also the most risky and speculative.

Ideally you fill holes in FA inexpensively, avoid paying high prices in trades, and have a manageable cap.

IF you do all of these things then you are in the perfect position to draft BPA.

Invariably, there are gaps. If you absolutely adhere to BPA you end up with lopsided teams that usually are less than the sum of their parts. So, almost every GM preaches BPA and then selects a mix of need and BPA.

For example, Ozzie In Baltimore is known as a strict adhere to BPA, will not draft a QB in round 1 or 2 regardless of value. He needs WR, RB, OL and TE on offense ... everything except QB ... so he will say he drafted BPA ... and let at least 1 higher rated QB slide.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Digital; 05-07-2014 at 02:23 PM.
    "I want guys who want to make an impact on and off the field. Good human beings. Guys who want to get better. Guys who want to improve. They want to be great, want to win. Those types of guys we can work with every day." --Joe Philbin
    - Defending the Read Option - What do you think?
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 11
Gift received at 09-22-2014, 08:04 PM from Flip Tanneflop
Message: You will need this when Moore comes in and starts connecting with Wallace on deep throws.
    The NFL GMs don't seem to agree. There have been OTs drafted in the first 15 picks (usually multiple) going back the 15 or so years that I checked.
    Angry Deniers. A bunch of agenda-driven whiny clowns whose sole mission is to deny anything good that Tannehill has done and deny anything bad that the "gods of quarterbacks" have done.
    Quote Quote