Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Barry Jackson Sports Buzz: 13 analysts weigh in on Dolphins 1st round pick

  1. -11
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2012
    Posts:
    568
    vCash:
    3020
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rent this space View Post
    If an elite CB falls, I would consider him, sure. but Finnegan was signed in free agency and they have 2 higher picks from last year that should contribute. CB and WR are similar situations to me, upgrades would be nice but you're doing it at the expense of other areas and with the guys already in place, you might not get a day one starter. I just think there are several other positions that need immediate attention.
    Also, you might be reaching for a tackle at #19, but you should have the top guard available and we need at least one of those
    Finnegan also had a down year and is 30. Taylor and Davis have 0 experience.

    I understand what you're saying about the similarities between CB and WR but I have to disagree. At WR you have for-sure starters, at CB there are questions after Grimes. There's no telling if:
    a. Grimes even stays healthy
    b. Finnegan returns back to form or even if he's the #2 CB, remember he played in the slot.
    c. Davis and Taylor progress enough to start.
    If they do draft a CB in the 1st, Fuller or Verrett, they're automatically starting day one while Taylor/Finnegan/Davis battle out for #3.

    This is a deep draft class. Teams can possibly find better talent in the 2nd-3rd rounds opposed to the latter half of the 1st.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -12
    rent this space's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,435
    vCash:
    9661
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinsfan93 View Post
    Finnegan also had a down year and is 30. Taylor and Davis have 0 experience.

    I understand what you're saying about the similarities between CB and WR but I have to disagree. At WR you have for-sure starters, at CB there are questions after Grimes. There's no telling if:
    a. Grimes even stays healthy
    b. Finnegan returns back to form or even if he's the #2 CB, remember he played in the slot.
    c. Davis and Taylor progress enough to start.
    If they do draft a CB in the 1st, Fuller or Verrett, they're automatically starting day one while Taylor/Finnegan/Davis battle out for #3.

    This is a deep draft class. Teams can possibly find better talent in the 2nd-3rd rounds opposed to the latter half of the 1st.
    Grimes played all 16 games last year, not sure why you would question his health and really, there is no guarantee anyone on the team stays healthy. Finnegan hasn't played well lately but is a former All-Pro and is definitely in the top 3. Taylor and Davis were drafted just one year ago in rounds 2 and 3. Also, Don Jones is in the mix and flashed some ability. There is a lot invested in the position as it stands.
    Again, I would absolutely consider an elite CB or WR that dropped but we saw last year what ignoring big holes can do and we are looking for multiple starters at other positions
    Quote Quote  

  3. -13
    fininpsl's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2012
    Posts:
    1,236
    vCash:
    5403
    Loc:
    PSL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rent this space View Post
    Grimes played all 16 games last year, not sure why you would question his health and really, there is no guarantee anyone on the team stays healthy. Finnegan hasn't played well lately but is a former All-Pro and is definitely in the top 3. Taylor and Davis were drafted just one year ago in rounds 2 and 3. Also, Don Jones is in the mix and flashed some ability. There is a lot invested in the position as it stands.
    Again, I would absolutely consider an elite CB or WR that dropped but we saw last year what ignoring big holes can do and we are looking for multiple starters at other positions
    I would argue that the problem last year wasn't ignoring the big hole. It was not recognizing it. NOBODY wanted us to take a lineman (the popular phrase was "cornfed"). We didn't ignore a hole. We didn't recognize or acknowledge it. If Taylor and Davis cannot play we'd be doing the same thing this year. I'm not saying they aren't any good. That's for Hickey to evaluate. But IMHO we aren't currently stocked with known commodities at CB for the upcoming year or beyond right now so I have no problem with Hickey taking a corner if he has conviction the guy is a starter in this league.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -14
    rent this space's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,435
    vCash:
    9661
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fininpsl View Post
    I would argue that the problem last year wasn't ignoring the big hole. It was not recognizing it. NOBODY wanted us to take a lineman (the popular phrase was "cornfed"). We didn't ignore a hole. We didn't recognize or acknowledge it. If Taylor and Davis cannot play we'd be doing the same thing this year. I'm not saying they aren't any good. That's for Hickey to evaluate. But IMHO we aren't currently stocked with known commodities at CB for the upcoming year or beyond right now so I have no problem with Hickey taking a corner if he has conviction the guy is a starter in this league.
    fair enough. but let me ask you this:
    if you have a choice between Dennard, Su'a-Filo and Martin at #19, do you choose the CB?
    Quote Quote  

  5. -15
    Gonzo's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    21,175
    vCash:
    25244
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by rent this space View Post
    If an elite CB falls, I would consider him, sure. but Finnegan was signed in free agency and they have 2 higher picks from last year that should contribute. CB and WR are similar situations to me, upgrades would be nice but you're doing it at the expense of other areas and with the guys already in place, you might not get a day one starter. I just think there are several other positions that need immediate attention.
    Also, you might be reaching for a tackle at #19, but you should have the top guard available and we need at least one of those
    We are putting a lot of faith in Finnegan returning to old form, and I don't mean his play from a year ago, I mean his play from at least 3 years ago. Then we have two completely unproven rookies, only one of which I feel has any real promise (Taylor), but still nothing certain. That being said, I agree, I'd only consider one of the top CBs. That's one of the very few "benefits" of being an 8-8 team. There are a lot of ways we could go and improve the team.

    Basically, if my two options at #19 are taking a top CB, WR, or a reach at OT or worse, OG, I'm going with the CB or WR; and then it's just which ever one is higher on my board.





    Quote Quote  

  6. -16
    Gonzo's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    21,175
    vCash:
    25244
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by fininpsl View Post
    I would argue that the problem last year wasn't ignoring the big hole. It was not recognizing it. NOBODY wanted us to take a lineman (the popular phrase was "cornfed"). We didn't ignore a hole. We didn't recognize or acknowledge it. If Taylor and Davis cannot play we'd be doing the same thing this year. I'm not saying they aren't any good. That's for Hickey to evaluate. But IMHO we aren't currently stocked with known commodities at CB for the upcoming year or beyond right now so I have no problem with Hickey taking a corner if he has conviction the guy is a starter in this league.
    I disagree. Nobody wanted to take cornfed at the spot we were picking. I didn't see anybody say we should completely ignore it. With the trade up for the price we paid, Johnson would have made a lot of sense.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -17
    rent this space's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,435
    vCash:
    9661
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    We are putting a lot of faith in Finnegan returning to old form, and I don't mean his play from a year ago, I mean his play from at least 3 years ago. Then we have two completely unproven rookies, only one of which I feel has any real promise (Taylor), but still nothing certain. That being said, I agree, I'd only consider one of the top CBs. That's one of the very few "benefits" of being an 8-8 team. There are a lot of ways we could go and improve the team.

    Basically, if my two options at #19 are taking a top CB, WR, or a reach at OT or worse, OG, I'm going with the CB or WR; and then it's just which ever one is higher on my board.
    lol, agreed. there aren't many areas that can't use an infusion of elite talent on this team. I just feel there will good players available at positions that are in worse shape than CB
    Quote Quote  

  8. -18
    fininpsl's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2012
    Posts:
    1,236
    vCash:
    5403
    Loc:
    PSL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rent this space View Post
    fair enough. but let me ask you this:
    if you have a choice between Dennard, Su'a-Filo and Martin at #19, do you choose the CB?
    Nope. I take Martin or XSF. But I think both have a chance to be Pro Bowl players. I would take Dennard instead of reaching for the tackles after Martin though. I'm pretty much assuming that Martin doesn't drop to us.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -19
    fininpsl's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2012
    Posts:
    1,236
    vCash:
    5403
    Loc:
    PSL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    I disagree. Nobody wanted to take cornfed at the spot we were picking. I didn't see anybody say we should completely ignore it. With the trade up for the price we paid, Johnson would have made a lot of sense.
    In hindsight I agree Johnson would have made a lot of sense, but nobody (or almost nobody) before the draft last year wanted us to trade up to grab one of the top 3 tackles. Most people didn't want the position addressed until the 2nd or 3rd round at the earliest. Not to say there weren't some who ran counter to that, but it was very common last year to hear people say you can deal with the o-line late in the draft.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -20
    Gonzo's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    21,175
    vCash:
    25244
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by fininpsl View Post
    In hindsight I agree Johnson would have made a lot of sense, but nobody (or almost nobody) before the draft last year wanted us to trade up to grab one of the top 3 tackles. Most people didn't want the position addressed until the 2nd or 3rd round at the earliest. Not to say there weren't some who ran counter to that, but it was very common last year to hear people say you can deal with the o-line late in the draft.
    I still believe that to be the case. Of course, that requires a good GM and scouting department to spot the talent AND take the shot. Dallas Thomas type picks won't cut it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Barry Jackson Sports Buzz Dolphins notes
    By jim1 in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-18-2014, 11:26 PM
  2. Barry Jackson Sports Buzz Dolphins notes 10/2/12
    By jim1 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-03-2012, 09:53 AM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-27-2012, 10:34 PM
  4. Barry Jackson Sports buzz: Analysts critique Dolphins
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-10-2011, 12:46 PM
  5. Barry Jackson: Sports buzz: Analysts critique Dolphins; UM postscripts
    By FinAtic8480 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 08:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •