Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Round Grades – AFC

1. -1
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks

1st Round Grades – AFC

AFC East

Buffalo Bills

Player – Sammy Watkins (6)

Pick – 4

Grade – C-

The Bills trade a 1st and a 4th in the 2015 draft to move up from #9 to #4. I have Watkins as the best WR in the class. His RAC will take pressure off Manuel and the running game, and he’s also a deep threat. But trading away a future 1st to acquire a WR in a draft stacked with WR doesn’t sit well.

Miami Dolphins

Player – Ja’Wuan James (outside top 40)

Pick – 19

Grade – C-

James is a fine player and should solidify the RT position. He has very good feet for a RT, but he’s not as physically dominant as your standout RT’s. He is a good fit for a ZBS, and he’s a better RT prospect than Zach Martin. To draft him, though, Miami passed on a number of standout DB’s and WR’s – all rated as significantly better prospects than James. When you draft for need in 2014, you’ll be drafting for need in 2015.
    http://mrebird.wordpress.com/2014/05...nd-grades-afc/
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    "When you draft for need in 2014, you'll be drafting for need in 2015" couldn't agree more. What's even more baffling is that this team has been doing the same ****ing thing for 15+ years (with an odd exception now and then) and the people running the show can't seem to figure this out. It's not rocket science, but I'm starting to realize football GM's aren't rocket scientists either (thankfully).
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Miami was going to pick for need in 2015 regardless of who they picked last night. I find that statement irrelevant. However, they won't need to pick a right tackle in 2015.

There's a few reasons why I don't find it necessary to bash the pick:

1. There's needs, and then there's absolute, desperate, must have in order to field a unit needs. This situation was the latter. It's not as if Miami needed an upgrade at right tackle. They didn't even have a capable body there.

2. They just allowed a team record 58 sacks. Largely due to the lack of a capable body at RT that I just mentioned.

3. It's not a situation where Miami was picking in the top 10 and passed up better players at impact positions to select an offensive lineman. It was the 19th pick and all the elite talent at impact positions were gone.

4. The fit. James is absolutely out of central casting for what Miami wants to do up front.

5. Ja'Wuan James can play.

The way I look at it, we can talk about value, trading down, whether this player would've been available 3 picks later, etc. But the fact is, none of you really care about that anyway. If James busts, you're not going to care that Miami traded down and acquired an extra 3rd rounder to get him. Just like you won't care that Miami took him at #19 if he's in the pro-bowl one or two times and has a fine 10 year career.
    Last edited by TedSlimmJr; 05-09-2014 at 11:29 AM.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    G.O.A.T

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Martin, Mosley, and Shazier were all gone... he went with his board and stuck with it
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I love how all these bloggers say he's a good player, at our biggest position if need, and than bash the pick.

The only player in the draft drafted after us so far, that I would of considered, was cooks. And when I really think about who is left in this draft to play RT, yeah, taking James makes a whole lot of sense.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    Miami was going to pick for need in 2015 regardless of who they picked last night. I find that statement irrelevant. However, they won't need to pick a right tackle in 2015.

There's a few reasons why I don't find it necessary to bash the pick:

1. There's needs, and then there's absolute, desperate, must have in order to field a unit needs. This situation was the latter. It's not as if Miami needed an upgrade at right tackle. They didn't even have a capable body there.

2. They just allowed a team record 58 sacks. Largely due to the lack of a capable body at RT that I just mentioned.

3. It's not a situation where Miami was picking in the top 10 and passed up better players at impact positions to select an offensive lineman. It was the 19th pick and all the elite talent at impact positions were gone.

4. The fit. James is absolutely out of central casting for what Miami wants to do up front.

5. Ja'Wuan James can play.

The way I look at it, we can talk about value, trading down, whether this player would've been available 3 picks later, etc. But the fact is, none of you really care about that anyway. If James busts, you're not going to care that Miami traded down and acquired an extra 3rd rounder to get him. Just like you won't care that Miami took him at #19 if he's in the pro-bowl one or two times and has a fine 10 year career.
    I don't know. I think I care that the extra pick we could have gotten could have been used to trade up higher in the 2nd round to get a Lee, Robinson, or Su'a-Filo. Maybe that extra 3rd could have been used on a Jeremy Hill or Moncrief. And I think I'm going to care 3 years from now as well when we're still drafting for need.
    Nearly 70% of the Earth is covered by water...the rest is covered by Gerod Holliman.

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St Helens, Or
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The issue I have is that there were no other O linemen taken in the first after James. That suggests to me there was opportunity to move back and still get him. When you need as many resources as you can muster it's foolish not to take them. I like James. I'd like him a whole lot better at 25 with another 3rd rd pick.
    Failure isn't fatal. Failure to change might be. - John Wooden
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by xXwarXx View Post
    I love how all these bloggers say he's a good player, at our biggest position if need, and than bash the pick.

The only player in the draft drafted after us so far, that I would of considered, was cooks. And when I really think about who is left in this draft to play RT, yeah, taking James makes a whole lot of sense.
    Still a boat load of WRs on the board and Jace Amaro is still out there and I thought for sure the Patriots would have taken him. I don't know how many players the Patriots are going to draft from Florida but none of them have been any good except for the murderer.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    I don't know. I think I care that the extra pick we could have gotten could have been used to trade up higher in the 2nd round to get a Lee, Robinson, or Su'a-Filo. Maybe that extra 3rd could have been used on a Jeremy Hill or Moncrief. And I think I'm going to care 3 years from now as well when we're still drafting for need.
    I agree with this
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post

I suppose my point is that if James turns out to be a good player, you're not going to care that Miami took him at #19 instead of #25. I just don't think I'll read that anywhere 3 years from now. If he busts, you may just have a talking point in regards to trading down and acquiring an extra 3rd... but that's not going to be what you care about. You're going to be steaming again because the pick busted. Not because of the trade down that didn't happen.

If that extra 2nd or 3rd rounder busted then it was all for not anyway. Miami should have a shot at around 3 of those guys you just mentioned anyway with their next pick.
    Quote Quote