Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stokes to Become Asst GM

1. -31
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phintim View Post
    i hope many of your opinions are right because I just do not see it that way. After loosing those last 2 games last year and how we lost them convinced me Philbin is not the long term answer here and this will probably be his last year. I do not see a much stronger team this year either unless RT takes another step. Top that off that Hickey was bascially our only option as a GM and I predict a bleak future. It was very hard to get interested in this years draft for just the reason many of you have brought up. If Philbin and Hickey cannot make strides this year then the next step is to blow up the whole thing. Which means if the players we drafted this year for our current system do not meet the standard or needs of the next coach/gm it becomes a wasted draft. Ireland is a convienent scapegoat and he may deserve some of it but Ireland never hired Sporano and wanted someone other than Philbin so in reality he never got a chance to hire the cook. I understood Irelands logic also he wanted a coach who would use the players he had already aquired I believe his name was McCoy who is with San Diego and not coachPhilbin who wanted wanted players for another system. When I see how well Dansby and some others played last year after leaving the phins then I am even more convinced we do not have the right coach yet.
    cant blame you really. Lot of criticism on philbin who hasnt shown he can develop players yet or even manage game situations properly. Havent given up on him yet, myself. but that's purely trying to be optimistic that he can learn from previous mistakes.
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ross included Philbin in the GM search to make sure they could work together. Don't forget, Ross hired Philbin when Ireland wanted McCoy. I won't get into that conversation again, but my point is....maybe Ross is learning...? My guess is that if Ross dumps Philbin, he would go after a big name, and if said big name said I don't want Hickey....I think Ross would let that happen. Assuming the big name is a Harbaugh or a certain big chin.

That said, I don't think Ross dumps Philbin unless we're sub .500 this year. Harbaugh's contract is up after 2015....I'd bet he would keep Philbin around for one more year to keep the seat warm. (He would never say thats what he's doing, but I'm guessing he would)

Quote Originally Posted by psfign View Post
    Yea and everyone was speculating the same thing when Ireland was on the hotseat. So, I see your point. I just don't see it panning out that way. And honestly, even if we miss the playoffs, I think Ross likes Philbin enough to give the GM & Coach a few years together...especially when it's well known that Ireland and Philbin wanted different players. You guys always seem to want too many changes, IMO. Keep making GM & Coach changes every year and w're going to keep getting the same results.
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mithga13 View Post
    Ross included Philbin in the GM search to make sure they could work together. Don't forget, Ross hired Philbin when Ireland wanted McCoy. I won't get into that conversation again, but my point is....maybe Ross is learning...? My guess is that if Ross dumps Philbin, he would go after a big name, and if said big name said I don't want Hickey....I think Ross would let that happen. Assuming the big name is a Harbaugh or a certain big chin.

That said, I don't think Ross dumps Philbin unless we're sub .500 this year. Harbaugh's contract is up after 2015....I'd bet he would keep Philbin around for one more year to keep the seat warm. (He would never say thats what he's doing, but I'm guessing he would)
    I could see that.
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My hangup is why did all the GMs canadiates turn us down last year. That just smells bad. Those GM's certainly do not see this oganization in a positive light and they should know more than us fans whats going on.
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I do not see a much stronger team this year either unless RT takes another step. .
    The thing is we didn't see any of the fruits from all the additions we made last year and the team was good. We got nothing from the draft, very little from the receivers added, especially Keller, and nothing from the big upgrade at LB, and the team was good. We had a ridiculously horrible o-line, like comically bad, like you probably couldn't design a worse o-line if you tried bad yet the team was still good. Tannehill was still going through growing pains yet the team was still good.

How can I possible say the team was good you are probably thinking? Because remember week 16, when we were looking ahead to the playoff teams and wondering how many of those teams scared us? The Broncos and maybe the Patriots at Foxboro. Remember having those discussions? We had already beaten four of the six the teams in the playoffs and KC wasn't exactly scaring anybody here. If we had just taken Lane Johnson or traded for Albert there isn't a doubt in my mind we had a playoff team.

Now this year we should see some of the fruits of all those acquisitions made that were supposed to be a big help last year. Tannehill -> Wallace should be better. We should get solid contributions from at least a few players from the 2013 draft class, there is no way that entire class was a total bust. The linebackers will hopefully be better. We now have the elite LT that would have made all the difference last year plus Dion Jordan, instead of either/or. On top of that we'll likely have solid contributions from at least two of our 2014 draft picks. And we have decent depth.

Hopefully Lazor will be a lot better. Philbin and Tannehill are a year more experienced. Hickey is not a total prick, maybe the players will respond to not having to work for an ass. And the overall leadership should be much better.

IMO the difference between the 2013 team and the 2014 team should be night and day and I think the team was already almost good in 2013.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Lifelong Fin Fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Minneapolis MN
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My hangup is why did all the GMs canadiates turn us down last year. That just smells bad. Those GM's certainly do not see this oganization in a positive light and they should know more than us fans whats going on.
    Because they all wanted the ability to fire/hire their own head coach. Ross was unwilling to give into that demand.
    When I die I want to hire the Miami Dolphin's to be my pallbearers so they can let me down one last time.

Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    The thing is we didn't see any of the fruits from all the additions we made last year and the team was good. We got nothing from the draft, very little from the receivers added, especially Keller, and nothing from the big upgrade at LB, and the team was good. We had a ridiculously horrible o-line, like comically bad, like you probably couldn't design a worse o-line if you tried bad yet the team was still good. Tannehill was still going through growing pains yet the team was still good.

How can I possible say the team was good you are probably thinking? Because remember week 16, when we were looking ahead to the playoff teams and wondering how many of those teams scared us? The Broncos and maybe the Patriots at Foxboro. Remember having those discussions? We had already beaten four of the six the teams in the playoffs and KC wasn't exactly scaring anybody here. If we had just taken Lane Johnson or traded for Albert there isn't a doubt in my mind we had a playoff team.

Now this year we should see some of the fruits of all those acquisitions made that were supposed to be a big help last year. Tannehill -> Wallace should be better. We should get solid contributions from at least a few players from the 2013 draft class, there is no way that entire class was a total bust. The linebackers will hopefully be better. We now have the elite LT that would have made all the difference last year plus Dion Jordan, instead of either/or. On top of that we'll likely have solid contributions from at least two of our 2014 draft picks. And we have decent depth.

Hopefully Lazor will be a lot better. Philbin and Tannehill are a year more experienced. Hickey is not a total prick, maybe the players will respond to not having to work for an ass. And the overall leadership should be much better.

IMO the difference between the 2013 team and the 2014 team should be night and day and I think the team was already almost good in 2013.
    and if i remember correctly most of our losses came down to within a touchdown.
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I actually like the direction our team is heading, and baring injuries to key personnel, we are one of those teams that could really surprise. Even though we will have a new OC, there is still a lot to build on from last year. We stumbled in the end when it really mattered, but we also won some big games. Heck, we even split with the Patsies. Not saying I was happy we were forced to draft for need, but considering the circumstances, I am not at all unhappy with the job Hickey did. Was he perfect? No, but I suspect he will be better next year after he has time to think about how he did, and make improvements. The Dolphins are a team on the rise. I can feel it all the way here in Orlando.

EDIT: My post was sort of off topic. Didn't mean to stray, but I am a scatter brain sometimes. I guess I was just trying to say that I trust Stokes appointment because I think we are heading in the right direction. I assume that since Hickey and Philbin have a good working relationship that naturally the same rapport would exist with Stokes, and in my experience that can only be a good thing for them and hopefully for us.
    Last edited by SWS84; 05-14-2014 at 05:46 PM.
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This is an important hire for one of the most important figures in the organization. Stokes' resume looks impressive. He was involved in some impressive personnel decisions. Hopefully he learned well even if he was an underling. It's time for Miami to develop to the rising stars in personnel. He is the type of guy you could look upon in a couple of years as being a rising star in league circles. Let's hope he is up to the challenge.
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    TRUE AMERICAN

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    USA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    new regimes clean house. been that way since the beginning of the game.

people want "their guys" if for nothing else just to say they have them.

of course the hickey haters want you all to think this is proof that this guy is bad, in fact anyone who worked in the past 18 years in tampa with hickey is bad and sucks and all were responsible for every years horrid drafts they had [which included a plethora of pro bowlers and a few hall of famers but that was just luck and hickey had nothing to do with those pics].

if this guy wasnt any good, why would hickey, a new gm, bring him here?

we had a good draft. we have a better gm. LIVE WITH IT!!!!!

and another thing to live with? HICKEY'S JOB IS NOT ON THE LINE!! HE IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE FOR A FEW YEARS, MAYBE LONGER IF THE DRAFTS ARE GOOD AND WE ARE WINNING. but no matter what happens this year, he is not being let go.
    For Those Who Ride The Other Side

HOWARD: rip my brother.

Quote Quote