Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: A Beautiful Mind: Brain Injury Turns Man Into Math Genius

1. -1
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks

A Beautiful Mind: Brain Injury Turns Man Into Math Genius

This dudes story is pretty cool considering it was a savage beating that brought it on.

A Beautiful Mind: Brain Injury Turns Man Into Math Genius

In 2002, two men savagely attacked Jason Padgett outside a karaoke bar, leaving him with a severe concussion and post-traumatic stress disorder. But the incident also turned Padgett into a mathematical genius who sees the world through the lens of geometry.

Padgett, a furniture salesman from Tacoma, Washington, who had very little interest in academics, developed the ability to visualize complex mathematical objects and physics concepts intuitively. The injury, while devastating, seems to have unlocked part of his brain that makes everything in his world appear to have a mathematical structure.

"I see shapes and angles everywhere in real life" — from the geometry of a rainbow, to the fractals in water spiraling down a drain, Padgett told Live Science. "It's just really beautiful." [Album: The World's Most Beautiful Equations]
    http://www.livescience.com/45349-bra...th-genius.html

And the drawings:

Illustration_pi[28].jpg

http://www.livescience.com/45326-gal...al-genius.html
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Einhorn is Finkle

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Halo LegendaryGalactic Empire medalHydra logo
    I read through and looked at the picture....amazing how he sees the world
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ConvenientTruth View Post
    I read through and looked at the picture....amazing how he sees the world
    It is amazing. It is also why I believe that no matter your religion that they generally all have it correct, even the Atheists. You say but how the hell does that work NY? Well it goes a little something like this, life itself is undefinable so whether it was by design of randomness or something of a higher order it is beyond human comprehension which by human definition is of godly nature.

You see the problem with life and the events that define it is that we as humans make the definitions based on things we cannot and do not comprehend. We like to think we know it all as a species but we don't, on a cosmic scale we know nothing.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have know 2 people like Padgett while in high school and at a former employer. Both were socially handicapped and brilliant at the same time. One of them could not survive with out his mother(taking care of him) or now his wife. He could not take care of himself, yet he was not physically handicapped. The other was extremely rude(on many levels) to total strangers and even to his few friends.
    One of them now(momma's boy) is a research biologist making advances on Alzheimer disease and the other has memorized the English and Hebrew bible word for word, including page number among other books.
    Studying Padgett's brain certainly will help the understanding and free the untapped potential of the human mind.
    Our "realities" may actually be limitations in our mind. There is probably a lot more going on around us that our senses cannot even detect, let alone our brains process.
    Quote Quote