Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rex Ryan

1. -41
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    He's not a GM, whether he had influence or not is meaningless. They had a good roster the first 2 years and had to re-toll it, they had one bad season and now look like they could be a force in the coming years.

talking doesn't win or lose a game, it's nice for the media and fans to talk about but it doesn't do anything.

everyone thought the Jets would be awful last year and despite losing his starting QB and having a million other injuries on O he led them to 8 wins.

Only 1 losing season.

playoff wins since 2009:

John Harbaugh 7
    Mike McCarthy 5
    Sean Payton 5
    Jim Harbaugh 5
    Pete Carrol 5
    Rex Ryan 4
    Bill Belichick 4
    Tom Coughlin 4
    Mike Tomlin 2
    John Fox 2
    Mike Smith 1

Not bad company

The bullying thing was overcome, they lost b/c they weren't good enough and weren't well coached enough.

I don't care what jet fans think though the majority wanted him back.

we know Rex can, you think Philbin can. I think if we switch the coaches last year we win 4-5 games and Miami is easily in the playoffs.
    They have gone D in the first round every year for the last 4 years. Rex has had a lot to do with that. He's not a GM, but he is partly to blame for not focusing more on the offense. It is a big reason why they have missed the playoffs for 3 straight years. How many coaches that are considered one of the best go 3 years without a winning record and making the playoffs?

It doesn't do anything but put a target on the team. There is a reason why most coaches don't give or want their players to give the other teams bulletin board material.

I don't care what the experts predicted. Half of them have no idea what they are talking about. The Jets had the talent to be in the 6 to 8 win range. Going 8-8 with that team doesn't make him a great coach.

It's great that they were able to win some playoff games when they got in, but all those wins came in only 2 appearances and resulted in nothing. I might give a coach (who doesn't make the playoffs often) a pass if he won the Super Bowl in one of those appearances, but not when you come out of it with nothing to show for it. When you only make the playoffs 2 out of 5 years (with one of those years basically a gimme playoff birth), I can't consider you one of the best coaches in the NFL. Let's take a look at where Rex ranks in playoff apps compared to other coaches.

Playoff apps since 2009:

Bill Belichick 5
    Mike McCarthy 5
    John Harbaugh 4
    Marvin Lewis 4
    Mike Smith 3
    John Fox 3
    Sean Payton 3
    Jim Harbaugh 3 (Only been in the league since 2011 and has more playoff apps)
    Pete Carrol 3 (Only been in the league since 2010 and has more playoff apps)
    Andy Reid 3
    Mike Tomlin 2
    Gary Kubiak 2
    Jim Caldwell 2
    Rex Ryan 2
    Tom Coughlin 1

Only Coughlin has fewer playoff apps, but he won a Super Bowl with that appearance.

All you know is what Rex has done with a completely different roster. You don't know what he can do with this roster. Philbin has exhibited some weakness in his two seasons as HC, but I'm confident he can lead this team to a playoff birth. He will have another shot at Rex in week 17. We'll see what happens.

The Jets have been better 3 of 5 years, that's better. The Giants had the best single postseason but if they played in the AFC East they wouldn't even have made the postseason.
    Only if you are judging by winning more games in individual seasons and not considering anything else. Do you really care that the Jets were 1 game better in 2013 when they won 8 games and missed the playoffs? That gives them a year as being better, but who cares when both teams didn't even have a winning record? You always talk about playoff wins and the Giants have the same amount in that time period, but have no losses and a Super Bowl win.

You do know the Giants went 5-0 against AFC East teams in 2011 right?

Ask anyone else which team in New York has been better over the last 5 years, and the clear answer will be the New York Giants.
    Last edited by The New Guy; 05-20-2014 at 09:40 PM.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The Jets have been better 3 of 5 years, that's better. The Giants had the best single postseason but if they played in the AFC East they wouldn't even have made the postseason.

Thank you for being a fan.
    Sure that's better. Of course. In the jun(k)c world everything is better because all we have to do is change the parameters. Let me change the parameters as well. Coughlin and the Giants were more successful in the last 5 years than Ryan and the Jets.

You don't have to thank me for being a Dolphins fan.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    Sure that's better. Of course. In the jun(k)c world everything is better because all we have to do is change the parameters. Let me change the parameters as well. Coughlin and the Giants were more successful in the last 5 years than Ryan and the Jets.

You don't have to thank me for being a Dolphins fan.
    Winning more games than another team in a given season is not the only parameter to look at to determine which team has been better. Let's take a look at what else should be considered.

Playoff apps:
    Jets 2
    Giants 1

Advantage Jets.

Regular season wins:
    Giants 43
    Jets 42

Advantage Giants.

Head to head:
    Giants 1-0
    Jets 0-1

Advantage Giants.

Winning seasons:
    Giants 3
    Jets 2

Advantage Giants.

Division titles:
    Giants 1
    Jets 0

Advantage Giants.

Playoff wins:
    Giants 4
    Jets 4

Draw.

AFC / NFC titles:

Giants 1
    Jets 0

Advantage Giants.

Super Bowl titles:
    Giants 1
    Jets 0

Advantage Giants.

Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The New Guy View Post
    They have gone D in the first round every year for the last 4 years. Rex has had a lot to do with that. He's not a GM, but he is partly to blame for not focusing more on the offense. It is a big reason why they have missed the playoffs for 3 straight years. How many coaches that are considered one of the best go 3 years without a winning record and making the playoffs?

It doesn't do anything but put a target on the team. There is a reason why most coaches don't give or want their players to give the other teams bulletin board material.

I don't care what the experts predicted. Half of them have no idea what they are talking about. The Jets had the talent to be in the 6 to 8 win range. Going 8-8 with that team doesn't make him a great coach.

It's great that they were able to win some playoff games when they got in, but all those wins came in only 2 appearances and resulted in nothing. I might give a coach (who doesn't make the playoffs often) a pass if he won the Super Bowl in one of those appearances, but not when you come out of it with nothing to show for it. When you only make the playoffs 2 out of 5 years (with one of those years basically a gimme playoff birth), I can't consider you one of the best coaches in the NFL. Let's take a look at where Rex ranks in playoff apps compared to other coaches.

Playoff apps since 2009:

Bill Belichick 5
    Mike McCarthy 5
    John Harbaugh 4
    Marvin Lewis 4
    Mike Smith 3
    John Fox 3
    Sean Payton 3
    Jim Harbaugh 3 (Only been in the league since 2011 and has more playoff apps)
    Pete Carrol 3 (Only been in the league since 2010 and has more playoff apps)
    Andy Reid 3
    Mike Tomlin 2
    Gary Kubiak 2
    Jim Caldwell 2
    Rex Ryan 2
    Tom Coughlin 1

Only Coughlin has fewer playoff apps, but he won a Super Bowl with that appearance.

All you know is what Rex has done with a completely different roster. You don't know what he can do with this roster. Philbin has exhibited some weakness in his two seasons as HC, but I'm confident he can lead this team to a playoff birth. He will have another shot at Rex in week 17. We'll see what happens.

Only if you are judging by winning more games in individual seasons and not considering anything else. Do you really care that the Jets were 1 game better in 2013 when they won 8 games and missed the playoffs? That gives them a year as being better, but who cares when both teams didn't even have a winning record? You always talk about playoff wins and the Giants have the same amount in that time period, but have no losses and a Super Bowl win.

You do know the Giants went 5-0 against AFC East teams in 2011 right?

Ask anyone else which team in New York has been better over the last 5 years, and the clear answer will be the New York Giants.
    It is actually 5 straight years and in one of them we had 2 1st rounders and went D. I think it is more coincidence than anything else. the players they felt were the best that were available they took.

How did they make 2 title games if that target was so huge? Cincy, SD, Indy and NE weren't motivated enough to beat them?

I am usually pretty close w/ my expectations, I expected 6-7 wins last year. we got 8, that's still exceeding expectations and those expectations were w/ Mark at QB and a healthy offense which we had neither. if we had mark and a healthy O we cruise into the playoffs. the healthy talent and a QB that wasn't ready we probably should have won 4-5 games.

so what? Tomlin's PO wins came in 2 seasons, Coughlins in 1, BB's in 3, Fox in 1, etc...

Carroll won a division at 7-9 and has had much more talent than Rex ever had. Give Rex those rosters and those teams are winning big. The jets had roster issues the last few years and he still kept them competitive.

w/ the worst roster in the division last year he led them to a 2nd place finish.

5-0 is awesome(4 in reg season) but they ended up 9-7, 9 wins doesn't cut it in this division. even giving them 2 more wins(max they could win in a div) they win 11 which is 2 les than what it would have taken to win division that year.

those are people that haven't paid attention, one fluky SB run doesn't outweigh 3 of 5 better years. I'd rather have the one fluky title but they haven't made a postseason since and since 2001 they have won playoff games in only 2 seasons.

Winning more games than another team in a given season is not the only parameter to look at to determine which team has been better. Let's take a look at what else should be considered.

Playoff apps:
    Jets 2
    Giants 1

Advantage Jets.

Regular season wins:
    Giants 43
    Jets 42

Advantage Giants.

Head to head:
    Giants 1-0
    Jets 0-1

Advantage Giants.

Winning seasons:
    Giants 3
    Jets 2

Advantage Giants.

Division titles:
    Giants 1
    Jets 0

Advantage Giants.

Playoff wins:
    Giants 4
    Jets 4

Draw.

AFC / NFC titles:

Giants 1
    Jets 0

Advantage Giants.

Super Bowl titles:
    Giants 1
    Jets 0

Advantage Giants.

more reg season wins in weaker division.

div title at 9-7 in that weak division, Jets won 11 and finished 3 games back in 2010.

you forget:

better record:

Jets 3
    Giants 2

playoff wins in different seasons:

Jets 2
    Giants 1

WC wins:
    Jets 2
    Giants 1

div rd wins:
    Jets 2
    Giants 1

title game apps:
    Jets 2
    Giants 1

Jets
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It is actually 5 straight years and in one of them we had 2 1st rounders and went D. I think it is more coincidence than anything else. the players they felt were the best that were available they took.

How did they make 2 title games if that target was so huge? Cincy, SD, Indy and NE weren't motivated enough to beat them?

I am usually pretty close w/ my expectations, I expected 6-7 wins last year. we got 8, that's still exceeding expectations and those expectations were w/ Mark at QB and a healthy offense which we had neither. if we had mark and a healthy O we cruise into the playoffs. the healthy talent and a QB that wasn't ready we probably should have won 4-5 games.

so what? Tomlin's PO wins came in 2 seasons, Coughlins in 1, BB's in 3, Fox in 1, etc...

Carroll won a division at 7-9 and has had much more talent than Rex ever had. Give Rex those rosters and those teams are winning big. The jets had roster issues the last few years and he still kept them competitive.

w/ the worst roster in the division last year he led them to a 2nd place finish.

5-0 is awesome(4 in reg season) but they ended up 9-7, 9 wins doesn't cut it in this division. even giving them 2 more wins(max they could win in a div) they win 11 which is 2 les than what it would have taken to win division that year.

those are people that haven't paid attention, one fluky SB run doesn't outweigh 3 of 5 better years. I'd rather have the one fluky title but they haven't made a postseason since and since 2001 they have won playoff games in only 2 seasons.

div title at 9-7 in that weak division, Jets won 11 and finished 3 games back in 2010.

you forget:

better record:

Jets 3
    Giants 2

Jets 2
    Giants 1

WC wins:
    Jets 2
    Giants 1

div rd wins:
    Jets 2
    Giants 1

title game apps:
    Jets 2
    Giants 1

Jets

you forgot about challenges.

So basically for you to make a case for the Jets you have to break it down to the most miniscule comparisons. How about points scored against common opponents.

But your last post is picture-book proof that you are nothing but a troll. Just can't give up and god-forbid you are actually wrong.

Actually your posts are almost baiting.
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo

Whether you want to believe it is a coincidence or not, I have no doubt that Rex has some say in who they draft. He is a great D coordinator, but he has always put a lot more focus on the D over the O. When you haven't made the playoffs, or had a winning record in 3 years, the coach deserves part of the blame.

We've discussed my thoughts on how they made titles games plenty of times. I think the teams were plenty motivated, but outside of NE, the rest just weren't good enough.

You also thought that they could be playoff contenders if things broke right. The majority of Jets fans predictions I saw had them at 8-8 or better. Rex going 8-8 was no great feat. It doesn't prove that he is one of the best coaches in the league.

So what? All of those coaches you named (Outside of Coughlin) not only make the playoffs on a constant basis, but have made it to the Super Bowl in the last 4 years. Rex has only made the playoffs 2 out of 5 years and has nothing to show for his limited playoffs apps. He doesn't qualify as one of the best coaches in the league.

The Giants ended up 9-7 with losses to really good teams like 13-3 SF, 13-3 NO, and 15-1 GB. They also lost a few to some bad / average teams so they were tough to figure out. All I know for sure is that they matched up very well against NE and the rest of the AFCE that year. They were 5-0 going 2-0 against NE that year, and NE got to 13 wins by sweeping the Jets. If the Giants swept NE, that takes away 2 wins from them and adds 2 wins to the Giants. I think they would have had a much better shot at a division title then you think.

It isn't that fluky when they won one just 4 seasons before. When the Jets were better in 2009 and 2010, they didn't win anything. When the Giants were better in 2011, they won the Super Bowl! Big difference!

you forget:

better record:

Jets 3
    Giants 2

Jets 2
    Giants 1

WC wins:
    Jets 2
    Giants 1

div rd wins:
    Jets 2
    Giants 1

title game apps:
    Jets 2
    Giants 1

Jets
    Again, who cares about a better record when neither team has a winning record? It is 2-2 when at least 1 of the two teams finished with a winning record. Who cares about WC wins and division wins when you don't make the Super Bowl? Even if you want to add those ridiculous categories to the others, it makes it a 6 to 6 tie. The Giants won a Super Bowl while the Jets won nothing, so the tie breaker goes to them.
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post

you forgot about challenges.

So basically for you to make a case for the Jets you have to break it down to the most miniscule comparisons. How about points scored against common opponents.

But your last post is picture-book proof that you are nothing but a troll. Just can't give up and god-forbid you are actually wrong.

Actually your posts are almost baiting.
    common opponents:

2009:

NYJ 4-2
    NYG 3-3(NYG lost at home to SD in reg season, NYJ beat SD on ROAD in playoffs)

point differential in 6 games:

NYJ +58
    NYG + 5

big edge Jets

2010:
    NYJ 4-2
    NYG 4-2

NYJ +2
    NYG +12

**included NYG getting crushed by INdy in reg season and NYJ beating Indy on the road in the playoffs)

edge: Jets

2011:
    NYJ 5-4
    NYG 7-3

NYJ -2
    NYG +13

edge NYG

2012:

NYJ 0-1
    NYG 1-0

NYJ -34
    NYG +23
    only played 1 game, SF blew us out, NYG blew out SF. Not enough games to draw any conclusions.

NYJ 1-1
    NYG 1-1
    only 2 games, hard to draw any conclusions

NYJ even
    NYG -34

totals:

NYJ 14-10
    NYG 16-9

differential

NYJ +24
    NYG +19

pretty close all around w/ jets getting edge in 2 of 3 seasons where we had more than 2 common games. the 2 and under we split 1-1.

does this satisfy you? can you actually post something meaningful rather than hurling more childish insults?
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Whether you want to believe it is a coincidence or not, I have no doubt that Rex has some say in who they draft. He is a great D coordinator, but he has always put a lot more focus on the D over the O. When you haven't made the playoffs, or had a winning record in 3 years, the coach deserves part of the blame.

We've discussed my thoughts on how they made titles games plenty of times. I think the teams were plenty motivated, but outside of NE, the rest just weren't good enough.

You also thought that they could be playoff contenders if things broke right. The majority of Jets fans predictions I saw had them at 8-8 or better. Rex going 8-8 was no great feat. It doesn't prove that he is one of the best coaches in the league.

So what? All of those coaches you named (Outside of Coughlin) not only make the playoffs on a constant basis, but have made it to the Super Bowl in the last 4 years. Rex has only made the playoffs 2 out of 5 years and has nothing to show for his limited playoffs apps. He doesn't qualify as one of the best coaches in the league.

The Giants ended up 9-7 with losses to really good teams like 13-3 SF, 13-3 NO, and 15-1 GB. They also lost a few to some bad / average teams so they were tough to figure out. All I know for sure is that they matched up very well against NE and the rest of the AFCE that year. They were 5-0 going 2-0 against NE that year, and NE got to 13 wins by sweeping the Jets. If the Giants swept NE, that takes away 2 wins from them and adds 2 wins to the Giants. I think they would have had a much better shot at a division title then you think.

It isn't that fluky when they won one just 4 seasons before. When the Jets were better in 2009 and 2010, they didn't win anything. When the Giants were better in 2011, they won the Super Bowl! Big difference!

Again, who cares about a better record when neither team has a winning record? It is 2-2 when at least 1 of the two teams finished with a winning record. Who cares about WC wins and division wins when you don't make the Super Bowl? Even if you want to add those ridiculous categories to the others, it makes it a 6 to 6 tie. The Giants won a Super Bowl while the Jets won nothing, so the tie breaker goes to them.
    He is judged on coaching not talent acquisition. He is not the GM.

He's only had 1 losing season in 5 years.

so the hottest team in football in 2009 wasn't good enough?

I don't believe I ever mentioned them being playoff contenders. The last season I thought they could be a playoff team was 2011.

Rex going 8-8 was an incredible feat, COY worthy.

Tomlin has made it just 2 times since 2009.

McCarthy has an easy division
    BB has Brady

Fox has made it just 2 times

Coughlin once

they ended up 9-7, right? in a weak division.

now we are getting into if they sweep NE? if Miami swept NE last year they would have made the playoffs!

they were both pretty fluky, 2 mediocre/decent teams that got hot and played great D and had some incredible bounces go their way. the 2 runs were very similar. The Jets didn't win anything but showed some consistency. The Giants have 8 playoff wins since 2001 and all 8 came in just 2 postseasons.
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    He is judged on coaching not talent acquisition. He is not the GM.

He's only had 1 losing season in 5 years.

so the hottest team in football in 2009 wasn't good enough?

I don't believe I ever mentioned them being playoff contenders. The last season I thought they could be a playoff team was 2011.

Rex going 8-8 was an incredible feat, COY worthy.

Tomlin has made it just 2 times since 2009.

McCarthy has an easy division
    BB has Brady

Fox has made it just 2 times

Coughlin once

they ended up 9-7, right? in a weak division.

now we are getting into if they sweep NE? if Miami swept NE last year they would have made the playoffs!

they were both pretty fluky, 2 mediocre/decent teams that got hot and played great D and had some incredible bounces go their way. the 2 runs were very similar. The Jets didn't win anything but showed some consistency. The Giants have 8 playoff wins since 2001 and all 8 came in just 2 postseasons.

I do judge him on his coaching. But if a coach thinks he doesn't have the talent he needs to be successful, he needs to speak up. The talent excuse might fly for 1 year, but not 3 years. I think Rex has been just fine with the rosters he has had. We are talking about the guy who thought that the 2012 team might be the best team he had since being the HC.

1 losing season along with two 8-8 and a 9-7 season that includes a win against a team that had no desire to play. He basically has 1 true winning season in 5 years.

SD was overrated. I know they were 13-3 and had won 11 straight, but only 3 of those wins came against teams with a winning record. One of those teams being the Cincinnati Bengals who were not very good. The Eagles and Cowboys were the other two teams.

You did:

I think our record will come down to 2 things- the QB limiting TOs and getting the run game going again. If those 2 areas turn up positive we can be a playoff contender, if not we could be as bad as most are predicting
    Go back and look at the record most Jets fans predicted. The majority had them at 8-8 or better.

Just back up 1 year and Tomlin has made it 3 times, and has also been to two Super Bowls. Fox has been 3 times (not 2) and has also made it to the Super Bowl. You can make up all the excuses you want, but those coaches not only make the playoffs more often than Rex, they also have made it to the Super Bowl. Rex has failed on both accounts.

So what? They lost to some good non division opponents. The only bad team they lost to outside of their division was Seattle. The Giants own NE and match up well with the rest of the AFCE. They went 5-0 against the AFCE that year. That is the point. They did sweep NE! I don't see why it would be any different that year had they been in the AFCE.

You sound like you are describing the Jets. A mediocre / decent team that got hot and played great D. The only difference is the Giants played well throughout the playoffs and won two Super Bowls while the Jets choked in the AFC Championship games.

The Giants had two playoff apps in a 5 year period, and won 2 Super Bowls. The Jets have only made the playoffs twice in 5 years and have nothing to show for it.

I wonder why you went back that many years and stopped at 2001? Was it because if you backed up 1 more year you would have to add 2 more playoff wins and another Super Bowl app for the Giants? I'm not sure how you can discredit the Giants for all of their playoff wins coming in only 2 post seasons that happened over a 5 year span, when all 4 of the Jets playoff wins came in only 2 post seasons in 5 years. Yeah, the Jets playoff wins came in back to back seasons. So what? Why is that more impressive than winning 2 Super Bowls in 5 years? The Giants never went more than 2 seasons without making the playoffs. The Jets are already on 3 years. At least the Giants proved that they could once again be Super Bowl Champs after missing the playoffs for 2 years. The Jets have yet to prove that they can even get back to the playoffs.
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Average Fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Junc like most Jet fans is very Jealous of the giants.
    Quote Quote