Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Another Day In The Pennitentary

1. -1
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Just Another Day In The Pennitentary

So, I'm now at a minimum security unit, in south Texas. It's been an adjustment. Going from a dungeon
    keeper to a nursery school nanny isn't easy. I've had more ups and downs and headbutts at this unit in 6 months than
    I had at my last unit if four years. Occasionally, you get reminded why you are where you are and why you do what
    you do.

It's two nights ago. A call comes out for assistance for an offender having chest pains. I am a designated responder,
    so, I respond, grab the wheelchair and come on out. We load the guy up. He's agitated, and obviously upset. As
    I was going to get him, some of the guys on the rec yard were hollering out to me; "Mr. K.......He's got two stints in his
    heart, his heart's ****ed up!" That's how they look out for each other. They also know I listen.

We get him to medical. Due to budget cuts, we don't have medical 24/7. So, we get the telemed fired up. He's "No English"
    so, I do an elaborate pantomime with him to the nurse in Beeville, and it's decided to send him out 911. We get him out to the
    back gate in the holding area to wait on the ambulance. I put him in his travel restraints and he siezes. I was a medic in the
    Army, and an EMT before that, but I've never seen the actual moment that cardiac failure happens. I placed him on the ground,
    got something under his head, and, assessed him. Deep, widely spaced, gasping resperations, thready pulse....I'm ticking off the symptoms..
    Regardless, he stops breathing, I start CPR....He comes back, same way...I can see he's getting blue, but he's breathing...
    That's a contra-indication to CPR..Then, he's down again, and I'm back to it.

*WHERE IS THE ****ING AMBULANCE*

The LT called for them, where the **** are they. I end up doing CPR on this guy off and on for about 20 minutes, and finally EMS shows up.
    They do their thing, and we load him up, me doing CPR all the way in. He dies. They called the code at 8:45 PM 6/15/14. I helped OIG examine
    the body, etc after that, and blah blah.

Cut to tonight. I'm told that I have "B" wing, which is our worst wing. The highest custody level. I work there all the time. No surprise I have
    it. I'm told they are being wild, loud and disruptive. Many are drunk on "Hooch" and they are locked down.

Funny. I walk in, and nobody is wild. Nobody is loud.

"What's up Cadillac" (Cadillac is my prison name..You don't decide it. It is bestowed upon you)

I go about my business, checking all the cells to make sure everyone is breathing, and I had a crook
    stick his fingers out through the expanded metal on his door....

"Shake my hand Cadillac"....

"Get the **** outta here."

"No..On the real..Shake my hand..."

There are lines that prison guard must not cross. I've crossed lots of lines. I'll say that, but
    I'm not going to shake a ****ing crook's hand.

"No. I'm not doin' that.....What's up?"

He goes on to tell me that "B" wing has a full view of the back gate cage, and, everyone with that "View"
    saw everything that went on that last night. Literally, with tears streaming down his face, the guys says

"I don't know how long I've got. Here, it seems like forever, but you never know. I hope if I'm in
    trouble like that.......I hope there's someone like you on duty that gives a **** about if I live or
    die."

That's a condensed version. He was a little drunk on hooch.

There was a whole lots of babble about "respect" and how I "Already had it", that is difficult to translate
    to "Free world" audiences. Bottom line is I'm a different person than when I entered prison. I'm
    a cold, mean son of a bitch. I like to fight, and that's not particularaly healthy for a 46 year old man.
    I ride herd on criminals, and I always get the worst of whatever bunch there is, because my style is
    sort of a combination of ignoring **** I don't care about, and, cracking down on **** I do care about.

I guess that after almost five years, I'm not the monster I've thought I was. Granted, I was just doing
    my job, but I did it the best that I could, and I feel like in some samll way I actually did some good.

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I am proud of you Harold, proud to have you as a friend, proud that you are part of my community, and proud to have you as part of the Finheaven community. You are a good man.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I am proud of you Harold, proud to have you as a friend, proud that you are part of my community, and proud to have you as part of the Finheaven community. You are a good man.

I probably met some people you know that night in CCH.

Pretty good folks in general. I was led to believe they weren't so nice.
    I got some fist bumps from the medics too.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonBoss View Post
    I probably met some people you know that night in CCH.

Pretty good folks in general. I was led to believe they weren't so nice.
    I got some fist bumps from the medics too.
    I know a lot of the docs and discharge planners there but not many of the ER staff. Hate to hear about three guy dying but glad your actions had an impact on the ones still there. I believe that Dr. Heard and Dr. Hill service the prison our at least one of their nurse practitioners does and I am fairly familiar with their group although I wish they would refer more often.

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    You guys make me nervous...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greenville, MS
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Damn, that's some pretty heavy stuff. I don't know you personally but I do "know" you from being a long time poster here and while you do seem rough around the edges you don't seem inhuman. I do know one thing, dealing with prison culture you answering the call and doing the right thing sure made your job a hell of a lot easier at least short term, and the people in that unit are lucky that you're there
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jnewmant View Post
    Damn, that's some pretty heavy stuff. I don't know you personally but I do "know" you from being a long time poster here and while you do seem rough around the edges you don't seem inhuman. I do know one thing, dealing with prison culture you answering the call and doing the right thing sure made your job a hell of a lot easier at least short term, and the people in that unit are lucky that you're there
    I wasn't fishing for compliments. This is simply a realtion of events that I sort of feel I want to talk about.
    There are people getting in trouble over this incident, as we have to account for our actions.
    I'm alright with everything I did, but there's a cleft down my left boot upper where the gurney ran over my foot
    while they were trying to jam it into the lock. I was looking down on it today and was thinking to myself;

"I need to change boots.".

And, something that *Really* ticks me off is people that talk about prison and what prison is that have
    never been there.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I know a lot of the docs and discharge planners there but not many of the ER staff. Hate to hear about three guy dying but glad your actions had an impact on the ones still there. I believe that Dr. Heard and Dr. Hill service the prison our at least one of their nurse practitioners does and I am fairly familiar with their group although I wish they would refer more often.

The Doc on duty was East Indian. "Ron" was the supervisor RN.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The Doc on duty was East Indian. "Ron" was the supervisor RN.
    I would probably know the doc and may know Ron if I saw him.

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would probably know the doc and may know Ron if I saw him.

Ron's got a beard, and was way more concerned about me than most other medical folks
    that I've encountered. Not saying in a bad way...Just, that it was remarkable.

I have no chance of remembering the Doc's name.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    You guys make me nervous...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greenville, MS
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wasn't fishing for compliments. This is simply a realtion of events that I sort of feel I want to talk about.
    There are people getting in trouble over this incident, as we have to account for our actions.
    I'm alright with everything I did, but there's a cleft down my left boot upper where the gurney ran over my foot
    while they were trying to jam it into the lock. I was looking down on it today and was thinking to myself;

"I need to change boots.".

And, something that *Really* ticks me off is people that talk about prison and what prison is that have
    never been there.
    Didn't feel as if you were fishing for a compliment, could definitely see how that would tick you off. I have been through something similar as far as witnessing cardiac failure, but it was my grandfather, not a criminal. It messed me up for quite a while mentally, put me in a bad place. Never really dealt with death that up close and personal before and I was pretty young when it happened. Pretty sure you have since you were and emt and a medic in the army but if at any point this situation starts gnawing at you, talking to somebody about it doesn't mean you're weak. I made that mistake. What kind of trouble are people getting into? don't even really have a guess and i'm pretty sure you can't go into much detail but I'm curious.
    Quote Quote