Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Philbin’s son accused of leaving scene of crash

1. -21
    The Cheese Connoisseur

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins HomerDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Eh.....

Plenty of examples in which a great father, raises a terrible child. And a terrible father, raises a great child.

Or is it that a great father can only influence a terrible child so much, and a terriible father can only influence a great child so much?

Not speaking from experience or anything.....
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    I was referring to both of his sons the now dead rapist and the alleged drunk driver that fleed like a coward from an accident where he injured someone.
    It is his son's responsibility but this is now the second son that commits a crime and doesn't take responsibility for it.
    His son may be a grown man but there is a definite lack of character there in that bloodline.
    I guess the other 4 kids can just mail it in due to the lack of character in their bloodline.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    This is a personal family matter and the son is an adult. Why is Mike Florio, who runs a football news site, even commenting on this?

Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm not defending Mathew's actions, he drove drunk and made a horrible decision, now he has to pay the piper and do the manly thing and own up. That side of this story is what it is.

As to Florio's shots at Joe being a better father and/or coach by trying to influence kids of a similar age to his own. No one takes into consideration several factors here:

1) This kid lost a brother and Joe lost one son to a tragic accident already and I'm sure that has had lingering effects, it is just too big a life event to simply ever forget, I know this personally.
    2) The demands of an NFL coach are approaching those of a ludicrous hours. In order to be a good father you need to be present in the day to day lives of your children. I doubt, with the win at all costs, NFL mentality that we the fans place on our beloved teams that any NFL coach has much down time. If anything the NFL and the owner's business side are forcing situations to become worse by allowing work to out weigh family for parity and profit.
    3) The media seems to be quick to point and judge but seldom takes any accountability for what that barrage of judgment does to anyone on the receiving end. Instead of saying something like the work/life balance of the NFL is skewed to far to the work side, it is simply easier to dig Joe at being a ****ty father who needs to spend more time with his kids while spending more time with his NFL players as well.

The hypocrisy of the last comment is humorous considering this old quote from Florio which is among my favorites:

When I saw the video for the first time, I cringed. Many of you did the same. But then I did what we bloggers (or whatever we are) all too often do — I fired off a rebuke of Rodgers without considering anything else about the other things he has done, both publicly and privately, over the years.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...jan-cavanaugh/
    Last edited by NY8123; 06-24-2014 at 01:26 PM.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

5. -25
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    I am sure Joe is crushed by this. His son has to be responsible for his actions.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    As a military man I hope Philbin gets exactly what he deserves if the story turns out to be true. He should be kicked out but sometimes rules don't apply to officers.
    For a guy that you always hear about that embraces character in his players he seemed to instill none in his sons.
    Hope he is a better football coach than father
    Everybody that drinks and drives has a bad father? Maybe people just do stupid **** regardless of what type of father they had. And if you want to stop people from doing stupid **** while drinking then bring back prohibition, that is the only way to stop it. Because drinking makes some otherwise smart people stupid, that is actually one of the nice side effects.

Its kind of like complaining about all the gun violence while supporting gun rights. If you believe every Tom, Dick and Harry should be allowed to carry guns then there will be increased gun violence, its just an unfortunate side effect. But it also a fact so stop complaining about the side effects and deal with the actual problem. Or don't, I don't really care. In fact, I love guns and booze.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I was referring to both of his sons the now dead rapist and the alleged drunk driver that fleed like a coward from an accident where he injured someone.
    It is his son's responsibility but this is now the second son that commits a crime and doesn't take responsibility for it.
    His son may be a grown man but there is a definite lack of character there in that bloodline.
    ^^ THIS!!! We hear of the way Joe tends to want to "massage" away problems rather than handle them. He wants to manipulate situations more than take them on. We saw evidence of this on Hard Knocks, and now we see evidence that his sons struggle with facing responsibility as well. I see him as being a solid football mind as a OC, but being a HC you need to be a leader of men. Personally I just don't see that in him, and to date the results on the field bear that out. The team does good until we have a moment of truth, and in those big moments the hasn't shown up, ready to handle the situation. Much like his sons the team ends up running from the game with their tail between their legs.

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by abNORMal View Post
    The problem is Philbin seems to have a "zero tolerance" for mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, your character is determined/shaped/revealed by how you handle those mistakes. As a result of Philbin not allowing for mistakes, his sons seem to want to cover up their mistakes instead of dealing with the consequences. You've got to teach that it's okay to fail as long as you "fail forward" and not do dumb ****!!!

Instead of obsessing about picking up gum wrappers...
    VERY true. I agree 100%
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Andy Reid and his two junkie sons including one dead by overdose say "hi." So does St. Tony Dungy who raised a closeted gay son who killed himself because his dad wouldn't accept him ifi he knew. And then there's John Elway's son and his violent offenses. Plenty of fatherhood "character flaw" blame to be passed around if anyone is pointing fingers.

"geno and idzik have done the impossible: make jets fans wish
    the tanny/sanchez days were here again" > Darksider, Jetnation

Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Lifelong Fin Fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Minneapolis MN
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    This is a personal family matter and the son is an adult. Why is Mike Florio, who runs a football news site, even commenting on this?
    Probably the exact same reason why there was no mention of Ross footing the bill for the stadium upgrades on PFT. You tell me.
    When I die I want to hire the Miami Dolphin's to be my pallbearers so they can let me down one last time.

Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MRojas4 View Post
    Eh.....

Plenty of examples in which a great father, raises a terrible child. And a terrible father, raises a great child.

Or is it that a great father can only influence a terrible child so much, and a terriible father can only influence a great child so much?

Not speaking from experience or anything.....
    I understand what you are saying, and you are correct there are examples of that. But on the flip side more often than not fathers pass on their beliefs to their children. If a father is a college grad then the odds are much better that his children will be than those parents who themself didn't go to college. If a father is a racist it is more likely that his son will be a racist than other normal parents. The son of a career criminal is much more likely to be a criminal than other sons. You are 100% that there are exceptions to this rule but for the most part they stand.

Now we have two examples of Joe's sons making horrible choices, but it's not the choices they made that is so bad, it's the way they handled them. We all make bad choices but like another poster said, what matters is the way we respond to them. A true leader excepts mistakes but fairly and justly teaches these mistakes as learning tools to make the mistake a positive rather than unacceptable. The word unacceptable is a word that Joe uses a lot and is a negative rather than saying something along the lines of "this is a problem that we have to get fixed". The word "unacceptable" is washing your hands of the issue and refusing to deal with it. The word isolates rather than brings a solution, and is a reflection of the doer.
    Quote Quote