Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 56

Thread: Jason Taylor sees potential in Jordan

  1. -11
    MRojas4's Avatar
    The Cheese Connoisseur

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2010
    Posts:
    3,134
    vCash:
    6
    Loc:
    Miami, Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins HomerDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    But then again, how much difference in value was there between being taken third by us and 4th by Chip Kelly, the coach who knew him best who was sitting there certain of the pick - until blindsided by Ireland's kamikaze leapfrog in front of him. Obviously from overtures made recently, Chip still hasn't gotten over having Jordan snatched out of his hands.
    Dolphins draft a player.....'OMG that guy is a bust, terrible pick, didn't even contribute year 1."

    Patriots draft a player...."OMG, Billicheat is a genius, let him develop for year 1 and the guy will be a beast! GENIUS!!!!!!!! (FAP FAP FAP FAP)."

    Sounds familiar?
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
    Quote Quote  

  2. -12
    The Beer Pong Table of Champions!

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    1,444
    vCash:
    1084
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Don't ask how but I had the opportunity to talk to jason for about an hour and I actually asked him about dion Jordan. He said how he is basically a freak athlete but doesn't know what he's doing yet. He immediately goes into talking Olivier Vernon and said now that guy is a player. Anyway thought it was interesting how he jumped on Vernon when I asked him about Jordan(he's a huge Vernon fan). He also said he liked the move of misi inside and said all of our linebackers were out of position last year. Really cool talking to jt about our current roster.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -13
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    31,627
    vCash:
    24685
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    But then again, how much difference in value was there between being taken third by us and 4th by Chip Kelly, the coach who knew him best who was sitting there certain of the pick - until blindsided by Ireland's kamikaze leapfrog in front of him. Obviously from overtures made recently, Chip still hasn't gotten over having Jordan snatched out of his hands.
    Noone knows who Kelly was going to take that's just speculation. Now would he like to add a good prospect of course but he had a chance to trade up one spot. Don't tell me that Kelly didn't know Oakland was trading the pick and the possibility of Dion Jordan being taken third. I mean if Kelly thought Jordan was so awesome Im sure he would feel that another team might.
    Oakland traded the pick to the team that gave up the most. I don't negate that Kelly would like Jordan on his team but its not like he made some unbelievable offer to aquire him from us and wouldn't even trade a third to move up one spot and get him that year. We don't know what would have happened if Jordan had been there at 4, we don't know what would have happened if Johnson and Jordan were there at 4. We do know that Oakland floated that pick in trade for best offer and Kelly says he wasn't willing to give up a third round pick to move up and ensure that they get him, that's about all we know.

    Later, reporters questioned Kelly if he had intended to take his former player at 4. Chip's response indicated that it was a possibility:


    "Trust me, [Dion Jordan], we considered him heavily," [...] "We didn't get a chance to pull the trigger on that one."

    When asked about why the Eagles didn't move up 1 spot to take Jordan, Chip talked about the potential sacrifice that type of move would require:


    "When you start to get getting emotionally involved, and I was very conscious of that, then what do you have to do to move up? [...] If you move up to get him, then that means you don't get Bennie Logan because you don't have a third-round pick or you don't get Matt Barkley because you don't have a fourth-round pick. It's the accumulation of putting the whole team together. It's saying, 'What are you willing to sacrifice to get one player?'"

    By these indications, the Eagles valued Jordan highly to some extent but he clearly wasn't a "must-have" player. If he really was, they would have traded up a spot. They absolutely had the resources to do so. But ultimately they didn't want to.

    Maybe it was because they didn't actually value Jordan as highly as some thought. Peter King recently wrote in his MMQB:


    [...] I'm told the Eagles weren't going to choose Jordan fourth overall.

    It's an interesting tidbit but I'm not sure how true it is. Unless Chip was just posturing about his former player, why would Chip lie about his interest in Jordan? Or maybe King's source was posturing in the Eagles favor, making it seem like the team didn't miss out on a guy they truly wanted?

    Either way, we don't really know for sure and it doesn't really matter. Dion Jordan is a Dolphin and the Eagles got their guy in Lane Johnson. The OT was a sensible pick too so it wasn't like "missing out" on Jordan threw a wrench in the Eagles plans. If anything, assuming King's report is true, it shows the Eagles valued Lane Johnson more. That's an even better endorsement of the pick.


    Also not sure because socalledly Kelly knowing Jordan best means much since he had a chance to take Kiko Alonso and passed . You would have thought he would know him best also
    When Death Smiles Upon You the Infantryman smiles back
    Quote Quote  

  4. -14
    MRojas4's Avatar
    The Cheese Connoisseur

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2010
    Posts:
    3,134
    vCash:
    6
    Loc:
    Miami, Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins HomerDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    Noone knows who Kelly was going to take that's just speculation. Now would he like to add a good prospect of course but he had a chance to trade up one spot. Don't tell me that Kelly didn't know Oakland was trading the pick and the possibility of Dion Jordan being taken third. I mean if Kelly thought Jordan was so awesome Im sure he would feel that another team might.
    Oakland traded the pick to the team that gave up the most. I don't negate that Kelly would like Jordan on his team but its not like he made some unbelievable offer to aquire him from us and wouldn't even trade a third to move up one spot and get him that year. We don't know what would have happened if Jordan had been there at 4, we don't know what would have happened if Johnson and Jordan were there at 4. We do know that Oakland floated that pick in trade for best offer and Kelly says he wasn't willing to give up a third round pick to move up and ensure that they get him, that's about all we know.

    Later, reporters questioned Kelly if he had intended to take his former player at 4. Chip's response indicated that it was a possibility:


    "Trust me, [Dion Jordan], we considered him heavily," [...] "We didn't get a chance to pull the trigger on that one."

    When asked about why the Eagles didn't move up 1 spot to take Jordan, Chip talked about the potential sacrifice that type of move would require:


    "When you start to get getting emotionally involved, and I was very conscious of that, then what do you have to do to move up? [...] If you move up to get him, then that means you don't get Bennie Logan because you don't have a third-round pick or you don't get Matt Barkley because you don't have a fourth-round pick. It's the accumulation of putting the whole team together. It's saying, 'What are you willing to sacrifice to get one player?'"

    By these indications, the Eagles valued Jordan highly to some extent but he clearly wasn't a "must-have" player. If he really was, they would have traded up a spot. They absolutely had the resources to do so. But ultimately they didn't want to.

    Maybe it was because they didn't actually value Jordan as highly as some thought. Peter King recently wrote in his MMQB:


    [...] I'm told the Eagles weren't going to choose Jordan fourth overall.

    It's an interesting tidbit but I'm not sure how true it is. Unless Chip was just posturing about his former player, why would Chip lie about his interest in Jordan? Or maybe King's source was posturing in the Eagles favor, making it seem like the team didn't miss out on a guy they truly wanted?

    Either way, we don't really know for sure and it doesn't really matter. Dion Jordan is a Dolphin and the Eagles got their guy in Lane Johnson. The OT was a sensible pick too so it wasn't like "missing out" on Jordan threw a wrench in the Eagles plans. If anything, assuming King's report is true, it shows the Eagles valued Lane Johnson more. That's an even better endorsement of the pick.


    Also not sure because socalledly Kelly knowing Jordan best means much since he had a chance to take Kiko Alonso and passed . You would have thought he would know him best also
    Yet, 2 years after the fact (rumored) Chip is still sending out love letters like a desperate Ex-gf trying to get Jordan back?

    Quote Quote  

  5. -15
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2011
    Posts:
    288
    vCash:
    1410
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    The 2013 draft class got a lot of flak as being "awful" or a "waste". Now it appears the team might be getting a lot of help this season from that class. A lot of good things being said this offseason about Jordan, Taylor and Thomas.

    Thomas and Taylor might be starters and Jordan figures to be part of a killer three man rotation at defensive end. Plus throw in Sturgis and the class might not be all that bad.
    After seeing Sturgis last year I'm not so sure he's an nfl kicker. He looked scared and nervous since the ravens game.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -16
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    31,627
    vCash:
    24685
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MRojas4 View Post
    Yet, 2 years after the fact (rumored) Chip is still sending out love letters like a desperate Ex-gf trying to get Jordan back?

    Noone ever said he didn't like him as player. But the most they offered was a second round pick and Brandon friggin Graham. This is hardly proof he wanted to take him number four overall.
    he didn't even offer his late first round pick for a guy you claim he is that infatuatiate with.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -17
    Vaark's Avatar
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    19,810
    vCash:
    11916
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    Noone knows who Kelly was going to take that's just speculation. Now would he like to add a good prospect of course but he had a chance to trade up one spot. Don't tell me that Kelly didn't know Oakland was trading the pick and the possibility of Dion Jordan being taken third. I mean if Kelly thought Jordan was so awesome Im sure he would feel that another team might.
    Oakland traded the pick to the team that gave up the most. I don't negate that Kelly would like Jordan on his team but its not like he made some unbelievable offer to aquire him from us and wouldn't even trade a third to move up one spot and get him that year. We don't know what would have happened if Jordan had been there at 4, we don't know what would have happened if Johnson and Jordan were there at 4. We do know that Oakland floated that pick in trade for best offer and Kelly says he wasn't willing to give up a third round pick to move up and ensure that they get him, that's about all we know.

    Later, reporters questioned Kelly if he had intended to take his former player at 4. Chip's response indicated that it was a possibility:


    "Trust me, [Dion Jordan], we considered him heavily," [...] "We didn't get a chance to pull the trigger on that one."

    When asked about why the Eagles didn't move up 1 spot to take Jordan, Chip talked about the potential sacrifice that type of move would require:


    "When you start to get getting emotionally involved, and I was very conscious of that, then what do you have to do to move up? [...] If you move up to get him, then that means you don't get Bennie Logan because you don't have a third-round pick or you don't get Matt Barkley because you don't have a fourth-round pick. It's the accumulation of putting the whole team together. It's saying, 'What are you willing to sacrifice to get one player?'"

    By these indications, the Eagles valued Jordan highly to some extent but he clearly wasn't a "must-have" player. If he really was, they would have traded up a spot. They absolutely had the resources to do so. But ultimately they didn't want to.

    Maybe it was because they didn't actually value Jordan as highly as some thought. Peter King recently wrote in his MMQB:


    [...] I'm told the Eagles weren't going to choose Jordan fourth overall.

    It's an interesting tidbit but I'm not sure how true it is. Unless Chip was just posturing about his former player, why would Chip lie about his interest in Jordan? Or maybe King's source was posturing in the Eagles favor, making it seem like the team didn't miss out on a guy they truly wanted?

    Either way, we don't really know for sure and it doesn't really matter. Dion Jordan is a Dolphin and the Eagles got their guy in Lane Johnson. The OT was a sensible pick too so it wasn't like "missing out" on Jordan threw a wrench in the Eagles plans. If anything, assuming King's report is true, it shows the Eagles valued Lane Johnson more. That's an even better endorsement of the pick.


    Also not sure because socalledly Kelly knowing Jordan best means much since he had a chance to take Kiko Alonso and passed . You would have thought he would know him best also
    It's funny that you of all posters jump to certain conclusions as probable fact yet when conveniently the antithesis of your entrenched agenda, play the "we don't really know what would have happened" card even when all empirical evidence points to Kelly sitting there like everyone else, surprised out of his gourd that anyone would trade up in front of him for Jordan who was a top 10 pick on most boards to begin with. Johnson was a nice consolation pick but that's what he was. Again, the coach who knew Jordan best and still pines for the one that got away most likely valued him as a 4th .. so now you have at least 2 teams putting him in the top 5. Beyond that there was scuttlebut that the jets were ready to take him at 8 (I believe that was their first pick). Bottom line, whether you agree or not, he was appraised by many as a top 10 pick, so live with it.




    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."
    Margaret Mead



    Quote Quote  

  8. -18
    russianbear's Avatar
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2011
    Posts:
    867
    vCash:
    3610
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    Noone knows who Kelly was going to take that's just speculation. Now would he like to add a good prospect of course but he had a chance to trade up one spot. Don't tell me that Kelly didn't know Oakland was trading the pick and the possibility of Dion Jordan being taken third. I mean if Kelly thought Jordan was so awesome Im sure he would feel that another team might.
    Oakland traded the pick to the team that gave up the most. I don't negate that Kelly would like Jordan on his team but its not like he made some unbelievable offer to aquire him from us and wouldn't even trade a third to move up one spot and get him that year. We don't know what would have happened if Jordan had been there at 4, we don't know what would have happened if Johnson and Jordan were there at 4. We do know that Oakland floated that pick in trade for best offer and Kelly says he wasn't willing to give up a third round pick to move up and ensure that they get him, that's about all we know.

    Later, reporters questioned Kelly if he had intended to take his former player at 4. Chip's response indicated that it was a possibility:


    "Trust me, [Dion Jordan], we considered him heavily," [...] "We didn't get a chance to pull the trigger on that one."

    When asked about why the Eagles didn't move up 1 spot to take Jordan, Chip talked about the potential sacrifice that type of move would require:


    "When you start to get getting emotionally involved, and I was very conscious of that, then what do you have to do to move up? [...] If you move up to get him, then that means you don't get Bennie Logan because you don't have a third-round pick or you don't get Matt Barkley because you don't have a fourth-round pick. It's the accumulation of putting the whole team together. It's saying, 'What are you willing to sacrifice to get one player?'"

    By these indications, the Eagles valued Jordan highly to some extent but he clearly wasn't a "must-have" player. If he really was, they would have traded up a spot. They absolutely had the resources to do so. But ultimately they didn't want to.

    Maybe it was because they didn't actually value Jordan as highly as some thought. Peter King recently wrote in his MMQB:


    [...] I'm told the Eagles weren't going to choose Jordan fourth overall.

    It's an interesting tidbit but I'm not sure how true it is. Unless Chip was just posturing about his former player, why would Chip lie about his interest in Jordan? Or maybe King's source was posturing in the Eagles favor, making it seem like the team didn't miss out on a guy they truly wanted?

    Either way, we don't really know for sure and it doesn't really matter. Dion Jordan is a Dolphin and the Eagles got their guy in Lane Johnson. The OT was a sensible pick too so it wasn't like "missing out" on Jordan threw a wrench in the Eagles plans. If anything, assuming King's report is true, it shows the Eagles valued Lane Johnson more. That's an even better endorsement of the pick.


    Also not sure because socalledly Kelly knowing Jordan best means much since he had a chance to take Kiko Alonso and passed . You would have thought he would know him best also

    Regardless of whether or not Chip was going to take Dion 4th overall doesn't change the fact that he was, across virtually all big boards, a top 5-10 candidate. Are you saying that a player who would've easily been "worth it" at 5-8, was not at 3? That's a tough argument to make....in addition, you earlier referenced to his "potential" not being worthy a #3 pick....it's pretty difficult to accurately project someone's ceiling when they're so raw coming into a new position after a should injury playing limited snaps....everyone has a right to their opinion, but I think it's a little too premature to be so negative. IMO.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -19
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    31,627
    vCash:
    24685
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    It's funny that you of all posters jump to certain conclusions as probable fact yet when conveniently the antithesis of your entrenched agenda, play the "we don't really know what would have happened" card even when all empirical evidence points to Kelly sitting there like everyone else, surprised out of his gourd that anyone would trade up in front of him for Jordan who was a top 10 pick on most boards to begin with. Johnson was a nice consolation pick but that's what he was. Again, the coach who knew Jordan best and still pines for the one that got away most likely valued him as a 4th .. so now you have at least 2 teams putting him in the top 5. Beyond that there was scuttlebut that the jets were ready to take him at 8 (I believe that was their first pick). Bottom line, whether you agree or not, he was appraised by many as a top 10 pick, so live with it.
    I have no agenda that's still your stupid buzz word . You are damn sure stretching the very definition of the term empirical evidence, more like empirical opinion. It was well known that the Raiders were looking to move that pick and get back their second round pick.

    In fact this was just before the draft As the first round of the NFL Draft approaches Thursday, speculation is mounting about what the Raiders will do at No. 3 — trade the pick, or keep it?

    Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Raiders and Browns may be in discussions to work out a trade involving Oakland’s selection.

    on April 15
    The 2013 NFL Draft isn’t considered particularly strong in the first round and is tabbed as a second round draft for the best value.

    According to Peter King of SI.com, the Oakland Raiders are looking to trade down from the number three spot. General manager Reggie McKenzie has been very prudent in free agency as he tries to balance the salary cap.

    Gaining extra draft picks helps the Raiders stock their roster with cheap talent and start the process of developing their team through the draft. King writes:

    ‘If Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie gets his way, though, he won't be picking in the top five. The Raiders want to trade down to recoup the second-round pick that was sent to the Cincinnati Bengals in the Carson Palmer trade.’

    From CBS sportsline
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/n...could-go-1-2-3

    I continue to hear the Oakland Raiders want to move from the third slot in the draft ... I’m told the Raiders are unlikely to draft Shariff Floyd, even if they can’t move down from the third slot. As one source close to the situation told me earlier today, "the mock draft community is overrating Shariff Floyd." Word is the Tennessee Titans at 10 look like a good fit.

    Oakland shopped the pick and the best they could get was what we offered so Kelly knew damn well that pick was being shopped. Lets not act like anybody was surprised that the Raiders moved down. Your opinion is no more valid than anyone else on who the Eagles wanted to take.
    I never said that Jordan was not rated as a top 10 pick in that draft I said he wasn't worth moving up for because after pick 2, picks 3 through 15 there wasn't a lot separating them as players. I wouldn't have drafted Jordan at 12 with the players that were left on the board esp with him being a bad fit for our defense.
    I have no choice to live with the bad picks my team has made. Kelly could have had him by giving up a pick so obviously he didn't think as much of him as u do. In fact he didn't even offer a 1st round pick for him this year. For the Eagles its smart business to trade a late 1st round pick for a player that has played for the coach .
    Lets not act like Kelly backed up the brinks truck to aquire him from us.

    The Browns select sixth overall, so it isn’t much of a drop for the Raiders if nothing intrigues them when they are on the clock.

    The Raiders have also been linked to possible trades with Detroit, Arizona, and Miami.


    None of this is evidence but neither is anything that you stated.
    It does show that there was a lot of reports that Oakland was shopping the pick.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -20
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    31,627
    vCash:
    24685
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by russianbear View Post
    Regardless of whether or not Chip was going to take Dion 4th overall doesn't change the fact that he was, across virtually all big boards, a top 5-10 candidate. Are you saying that a player who would've easily been "worth it" at 5-8, was not at 3? That's a tough argument to make....in addition, you earlier referenced to his "potential" not being worthy a #3 pick....it's pretty difficult to accurately project someone's ceiling when they're so raw coming into a new position after a should injury playing limited snaps....everyone has a right to their opinion, but I think it's a little too premature to be so negative. IMO.
    How is it premature to not like a pick. I mean do u automatically like every pick we take or do you have an actual opinion on players drafted.

    I mean we do get to see draft picks play in college before we draft them.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-24-2014, 11:52 AM
  2. Stephen Ross Smiles, Sees Jason Taylor's Face, Frowns
    By DzakkH13 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 11-12-2013, 10:18 AM
  3. Jason Taylor sees big things for Cam Wake
    By MDFINFAN in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 03:17 PM
  4. Jason Taylor And Michael Jordan
    By GcOe in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-27-2006, 08:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •