Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Johnson talented on and off field

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Anthony Johnson talented on and off field

In addition to his football talents, Johnson is quite the accomplished singer. He sang in the choir at O. Perry Walker High in New Orleans, also performing the national anthem before some of his football games.

I used to do that a lot, during halftime and everything, even before the games, even at basketball games when I played basketball, I used to sing the national anthem, Johnson said. I appreciated everybody for letting me do that. I actually won three state championships in the choir during high school and I sang at the New Orleans Jazz Festival three straight years. It was a big accomplishment for me. I kind of broke a couple of the sweats off before the game before I roughed up on somebody.

I sing in the locker room, try to get everybody going, stay positive.

According to a story in the The Advocate of Baton Rouge, Johnson made his public signing debut in church at the age of 4.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/ar...e-cbf925e20121

I guess if they make him sing in training camp, it won't bother him a bit.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    TRUE AMERICAN

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    USA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    sounds like a decent kid with good values.

obviously raised by good people and not gangsta thugs. this means he has grit and determination.

just what we need. i am rooting for him big time!!
    For Those Who Ride The Other Side

HOWARD: rip my brother.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Didn't fall out of draft because of character issues?
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Wort-wort-wort!!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Xbox LogoHalo LegendaryGalactic Empire medalPlaystation LogoNintendo Logo
    I wonder if any NFL team has ever had a member of it's team sing the National Anthem before?
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Broward, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I was wondering the same thing..... Why did he fall all the way out of the draft??
    ANGELOfinsFAN
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Failed drugs test at the Combine. No further details released that I'm aware of.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I am reminded that former QB, Joey Harrington was also an accomplished pianist and this helped to boost his "marketability". However, at the end of the day all that really matters is if Anthony Johnson can play football well enough to contribute to the team, or not? It's nice that Anthony is an accomplished singer, maybe he can dance, too. But this doesn't matter a damn if his play isn't good enough. To fail a drug test at the Combine is pretty dumb, especially when everyone knows beforehand that the doctors test very thoroughly. Did he fail for marijuana or other subtances eg PEDs?
    There are very few roster spots available on the D-line and it sounds like fellow rookie UFA Garrison Smith is also impressing big time and AJ Francis and Isaako Aatui are decent known DT commodities. Johnson could be very good but he's no certainty to make the team or Practice Squad. Hope he makes it.
    Last edited by spiketex; 06-30-2014 at 06:19 AM.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    As I posted, no details of the failed test were ever released. But Johnson is considered to be a Seantrel Henderson/Hagemann type who were top recruits, had exceptional physical abilities but whose play showed up very inconsistently on tape.

Johnson was a 5-star recruit, Kiffen called him "The Freak" for his athleticism, but you don't see it that often on tape. While he might share that spotty production with Hagemann and Henderson, et al, what I believe separates him from a guy like Hagemann (other than the massive difference in expectations and round drafted) is his on-field smarts. This kid can read football and react accordingly. His technique off the snap is absolutely lousy though, he lets o-linemen get their hands on him routinely and his pad level is way too high.

He had a lousy combine, failed the drug test and brought with him some character baggage out of LSU, so he dropped right out of the draft. But Kacy Rodgers is THE D-line coach to get this guy up to scratch and I believe we'll have a solid depth tackle at worst from Johnson if he keeps his head straight.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NRA View Post
    sounds like a decent kid with good values.

obviously raised by good people and not gangsta thugs. this means he has grit and determination.

just what we need. i am rooting for him big time!!
    Because we all know that's the only type of up-bring that brings "bad people" into the NFL.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    technique does need a lot of work especially in the run game...explosive get off and gap quickness...not much of a poa guy at this point it's get up field and shoot gaps and while i think he's gap sound he will also lose contain in an effort to get to the qb...pursues the ball well when he wants to play i'd expect a more consistent effort in the pros so i think you will see him on his horse whenever he gets looks...gets washed out and loses in the run game most his flaws are technique and leverage based...will have to be cleaned up in the pros...got by a lot as a just superior physical specimen at the college level...

ball awareness is pretty solid but he gets turned around in the run game in short yardage a function of standing up to much and losing leverage battles and loses the ball as a result...flows laterally pretty well but there's a lot of turn and run down from the backside more than fill

should dominate one on one more than he does...doesn't know how to handle a double team at this stage...

all that said on the upside and the thought that the technique and leverage plays can be cleaned up i will be surprised if he's not the 4th dt on the 53
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote