Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sports Buzz 6/27- Dolphins roster battles

1. -1
    Brady Wears Pasties

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daytona Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo

Sports Buzz 6/27- Dolphins roster battles

Some people inside the Dolphins wouldn’t mind conserving a roster spot by having Jarvis Landry replace Marcus Thigpen as the punt returner. Thigpen was 18th in kickoff returns, 19th in punt returns last season.

But offensive coordinator Bill Lazor likes Thigpen and the Dolphins will need to find a spot for him if he proves to be their best returner. Though Landry says he can return kicks and Lamar Miller can, too, none of the other players who fielded kickoffs last week besides Thigpen (Damian Williams, Matt Hazel and Rantavious Wooten) might even make the team.

### The Dolphins have been making preliminary inquiries about some available centers, though it remains to be seen whether Miami will bring in anyone for a visit or sign any of them.

Here’s how the remaining unsigned starting centers finished in the Pro Football Focus rankings last season, among 35 centers: Cincinnati’s Kyle Cook was 24th, Pittsburgh’s Fernando Velasquez 25th, Jacksonville’s Brad Meester 30th, and the Colts’ Samson Satele 31st.

Mike Pouncey, who is expected to miss two to six regular-season games, was 13th.
    Among the subplots we’ll be watching in training camp (first practice is July 25) are battles for backup positions on defense, several of which have become very competitive.

At cornerback, Jalil Brown has made a strong case so far to make this team and perhaps even play ahead of Will Davis. But do you keep six corners, which seems excessive considering safety Jimmy Wilson plays in the nickel: Brent Grimes, Cortland Finnegan, Jamar Taylor (who are clearly your top three), Davis, Brown and rookie Walt Aikens?

Impressive LSU rookie Anthony Johnson has a legitimate chance to beat out A.J. Francis and Isaako Aaitui for the No. 4 tackle spot. And undrafted rookies Garrison Smith (Georgia) and Kamal Johnson (Temple) also have earned consideration.

At safety, three things are set: Reshad Jones and Louis Delmas as starters and Wilson as the nickel back. The fourth safety job is very close among Jordan Kovacs (the new management likes him), Don Jones (upside on special teams) and Michael Thomas (the end-of-game star against New England).

### Early reviews of defensive tackle Earl Mitchell have been encouraging.

“They got a real good player,” Pro Bowl receiver Andre Johnson, his former Texans teammate, told me. “He’s not a real big dude [by behemoth defensive tackle standards] but he plays like a big dude.”
    Jason Taylor, who has been serving as a volunteer assistant at times during the Dolphins' offseason program, addressed a couple of issues on 790 The Ticket's morning show,

1) On his Dolphins role from here: "I did a little bit in OTAs and mini camp and I will probably do some in training camp. I hope they have me back. It's good to be around the guys again and do football and share some of the knowledge you were able to gain. We'll see if I can do a little bit more in training camp and take it from there."

2) On whether it makes sense for Dion Jordan to play special teams: "The thing about Dion is he is so athletic he gives you an advantage on [special teams]. The problem is taking a little bit of gas out of the tank [on defense]. I played on the punt and punt return team my first three years."

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sport...#storylink=cpy
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DolphinDolphinDolphin

Friday Dolphin's chatter from Barry J

### Among the subplots we’ll be watching in training camp (first practice is July 25) are battles for backup positions on defense, several of which have become very competitive.
    At cornerback, Jalil Brown has made a strong case so far to make this team and perhaps even play ahead of Will Davis. But do you keep six corners, which seems excessive considering safety Jimmy Wilson plays in the nickel: Brent Grimes, Cortland Finnegan, Jamar Taylor (who are clearly your top three), Davis, Brown and rookie Walt Aikens?
    Impressive LSU rookie Anthony Johnson has a legitimate chance to beat out A.J. Francis and Isaako Aaitui for the No. 4 tackle spot. And undrafted rookies Garrison Smith (Georgia) and Kamal Johnson (Temple) also have earned consideration.
    At safety, three things are set: Reshad Jones and Louis Delmas as starters and Wilson as the nickel back. The fourth safety job is very close among Jordan Kovacs (the new management likes him), Don Jones (upside on special teams) and Michael Thomas (the end-of-game star against New England).
    ### Early reviews of defensive tackle Earl Mitchell have been encouraging.
    “They got a real good player,” Pro Bowl receiver Andre Johnson, his former Texans teammate, told me. “He’s not a real big dude [by behemoth defensive tackle standards] but he plays like a big dude.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sport...#storylink=cpy
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DolphinDolphinDolphin
    tie goes to the mod

Merge mine over here or just delete it.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Brady Wears Pasties

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daytona Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Can't believe we can't find nobody to unseat Thigpen on returns. It's early yet and it sounds like Lazor might want incorporate him in the offense.

Sounds like Johnson is working his way to a roster spot. I'm not a betting man but if I was to put my money on UDFA making the roster it would be him.

JT has said in the past he wants to work in television but he seems to be building a resume for working within the Dolphins organization.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daytona Fin View Post
    Can't believe we can't find nobody to unseat Thigpen on returns. It's early yet and it sounds like Lazor might want incorporate him in the offense.

Sounds like Johnson is working his way to a roster spot. I'm not a betting man but if I was to put my money on UDFA making the roster it would be him.

JT has said in the past he wants to work in television but he seems to be building a resume for working within the Dolphins organization.
    Didn't we recently sign some guy from Liberty that was supposed to have some serous speed and return skills? What ever happened to him?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks

Yes that is disturbing and I'm pretty sure we've been looking for a replacement since we traded Bess. I do think Thigpen could be a good receiver though, he hasn't had many opportunities but wheh his number was called he made them count. I remember him making the extra effort for a first down and his TD was all effort.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Brady Wears Pasties

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daytona Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Didn't we recently sign some guy from Liberty that was supposed to have some serous speed and return skills? What ever happened to him?

Kevin Fogg, I believe who you are referring to. He is a DB and probably has a long way to go to making the roster unless he starts leaving everybody in the fog on returns.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Kevin Fogg, I believe who you are referring to. He is a DB and probably has a long way to go to making the roster unless he starts leaving everybody in the fog on returns.
    Thanks, I couldn't remember the guy's name. I just want to see what kind of juice he has on returns. Maybe this preseason will show us something.

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Punching Bag

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Shark city
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He also slowed down vs no and got tackled at the 2.

Quote Originally Posted by CedarPhin View Post
    We've got to make HOF an honorary Crew member.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBeckHOF View Post
    I want no part of induction into your sinful little get-together you have here, squatting on internet bandwith that could be used in better, more productive ways.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think that the battle between Jordan Kovacs, Don Jones and Michael Thomas for the last roster Safety spot is probably accurate. From what I understand they are all decent on Special Teams. It will be a good tough contest. Kovacs and Thomas are two of the smartest and best character guys on the team. I'd like to keep both of them. Interesting side note about new front office liking Kovacs. The term "new front office" sounds like Dennis Hickey. We all know that Kovacs was genuinely loved by our owner Stephen Ross as Michigan Wolverine tackling warrior and inspiring walk on team captain and Ross even made the call to invite him as an undrafted free agent to join the Dolphins on camera. Last year, Kovacs was basically solely used on Special Teams, but did well and he should be bigger and better this year. Ross won't get involved but everyone in the Davie building knows he picks up every employee's salary. Don't understimate Jordan Kovacs, he is a potential team leader in the locker room if his play is good enough on the field.
    Quote Quote