Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Colledge- Starter or Depth?

1. -11
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's certainly not an awe-inspiring interior, whatever combination we put out. At this stage, I think everyone would settle for a tolerable "finger in the dyke " (ouch!) scenario until the bye week and/or Pouncey comes back.

New guys, new schemes, new OC, new o-line coach, rookies needed to start, stand-in "Qb of the line" center..... it's a lot to ask any roster of fatties to pull into a cohesive unit.

We really should have signed an extra guard in FA. I don't think that's a case of hindsight being 20:20, I think it's a view held by a lot of people since FA opened.

Until TC opens, we won't know what combination clicks to any degree. The fact we signed a guard/center signals to me that they're not looking at Garner as the leading candidate for the center spot. Until proven otherwise in TC it looks like a shootout between Smith at C and Colledge at RG or vice versa.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    I don't believe that Lazor wants us to be the pass happy team of last year, and wants to create a balance. Until someone/anyone on the OL proves they can run block, Shelly has a pretty good shot here.
    I totally disagree. If Shelley is on the field Wallace might as well not even dress out. We will have no deep threat if Shelley is in pass pro. Our OL takes a significant step BACKWARDS if Shelley is a starter. I think that is what they have finally figured out, and the Collegde signing is for him to play RG until Turner gets up to speed and can replace him. Garner, Brenner or Larsen will be the center.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by KTOWNFINFAN View Post
    I totally disagree. If Shelley is on the field Wallace might as well not even dress out. We will have no deep threat if Shelley is in pass pro. Our OL takes a significant step BACKWARDS if Shelley is a starter. I think that is what they have finally figured out, and the Collegde signing is for him to play RG until Turner gets up to speed and can replace him. Garner, Brenner or Larsen will be the center.
    KT, but how do you really feel about Shelly? LOL I do respect your opinion, and have not seen him play to agree or disagree. There are many very mixed review on him from PFF to other very knowledgeable posters and analysts. Some believe his problems can be corrected. Others believe him to be a wasted signing.

I'm gonna wait and see.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't believe that Lazor wants us to be the pass happy team of last year, and wants to create a balance. Until someone/anyone on the OL proves they can run block, Shelly has a pretty good shot here.
    No, I agree with you that Miami needs to be able to run the ball, and Lazor will expect Miami to be able to run it as well as pass, but to me having a line that is ineffective protecting the QB for a 2nd straight year out of any position will not be tolerated.

I believe if the line is somewhat effective run-blocking, but do very good job pass-blocking, the coaching staff could live with it, but if it's the opposite, the coaching staff will not allow it to continue.

Even though Lazor has said he will run the ball quite a bit this season, I believe Miami will still throw it a bit more then run it, what they will not do this year, which they did last year, is not get cute and try to pass it when it's 3rd and short.

Make Peyton uncomfortable during the game, make Peyton leave game in Denver very upset.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The reason is simple. The OL, above all other aspects of the team, has to play together. The longer it takes to have 5 new guys doing that, the worse they are.
    And I'll say it again...if you have a bunch of guys coming in that you don't know a lot about and you are able to figure it all out before preseason...it means that your backups suck!
    "May the acorns rest in peace..."
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I should amend my post above. Talking to another guy who is not necessarily an OL guy, but very good at evaluating players as a fan, especially QB's being a former one in college...oh and he also is not very pleased with Hickey and many of his moves to date...

He said he thinks this was a good move and says he thinks Colledge is "solid". So that's very encouraging. Especially from a guy who is always very objective since I have known him and, as I said, is not a Hickey fan so far. But he does like this move. Nobody is always right, but this encourages me a ton knowing how often this guy has been right about players in the past. This doesn't necessarily help to answer the starter or depth question. I guess we have to wait and see. But it's some positive insight I thought I'd add.
    Thanks for the sig, Nublar.

Quote Quote  

7. -17
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by tay0365 View Post
    No, I agree with you that Miami needs to be able to run the ball, and Lazor will expect Miami to be able to run it as well as pass, but to me having a line that is ineffective protecting the QB for a 2nd straight year out of any position will not be tolerated.

I believe if the line is somewhat effective run-blocking, but do very good job pass-blocking, the coaching staff could live with it, but if it's the opposite, the coaching staff will not allow it to continue.

Even though Lazor has said he will run the ball quite a bit this season, I believe Miami will still throw it a bit more then run it, what they will not do this year, which they did last year, is not get cute and try to pass it when it's 3rd and short.
    It is very debatable. IMO, we are not going to be very good in pass protect no matter who starts. I believe that having one guy who is VG on the run and not as good on the pass will actually help the passing game more in taking pressure off RT by being able to run more effectively than going the other way.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Phin View Post
    And I'll say it again...if you have a bunch of guys coming in that you don't know a lot about and you are able to figure it all out before preseason...it means that your backups suck!
    To me it might just mean that your starters have stepped up and are pretty good. Not that I expect that to happen, but it COULD mean that, in a galaxy far far away, where good things actually happened to the dolphins ??

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin North View Post
    I should amend my post above. Talking to another guy who is not necessarily an OL guy, but very good at evaluating players as a fan, especially QB's being a former one in college...oh and he also is not very pleased with Hickey and many of his moves to date...

He said he thinks this was a good move and says he thinks Colledge is "solid". So that's very encouraging. Especially from a guy who is always very objective since I have known him and, as I said, is not a Hickey fan so far. But he does like this move. Nobody is always right, but this encourages me a ton knowing how often this guy has been right about players in the past. This doesn't necessarily help to answer the starter or depth question. I guess we have to wait and see. But it's some positive insight I thought I'd add.
    I agree with your friend. A lot of what Hickey has done has not impressed me. This is one of his better/maybe best, signings to date.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Some Cards fans believe Colledge was their best lineman last season. I didn't realise he was that solid for them. Some encouragement...
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Shelley is a project.

Colledge is a stopgap who will likely start while Pouncey is out. The hope is that Shelley and Turner developed quickly and claim the starting guard spots.

Until that happens, Colledge, Garner, Thomas, Fox and Brenner will all be given shots at OG and throw Larsen into the mix at C. Not all can make the roster, so the time to prove it starts later this month.
    "I want guys who want to make an impact on and off the field. Good human beings. Guys who want to get better. Guys who want to improve. They want to be great, want to win. Those types of guys we can work with every day." --Joe Philbin
    - Defending the Read Option - What do you think?
    Quote Quote