Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mathis vs Turner vs Colledge?

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17

Mathis vs Turner vs Colledge?

I'm going to revisit this one last time because it still really bothers me. We could have traded a 3rd rounder (turned out to be Turner) for the best guy on the OL in the entire NFL last year (not only OG's). We end up with Billy Turner (who many love) in his place. Then we add Colledge at OG as well. If you let them both play together, they may not be close to as good as Mathis by himself.

Yet, we pass. Maybe it was the money. I'm sure that Tannehill and our RB's agree that the $16M in the bank is much more important than a Great player on the OL.

Anyone with a somewhat reasonable explanation?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    32 years old, making $5 million this year and wants a raise, high draft pick compensation needed. Short term it would be a great move, long term it wouldn't have. Mathis will make more money in 2014 than Billy Turner over the next four years combined. Four years from now, Turner will probably be solidified as a starter on the line, at 36 Mathis might be retired.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Broward, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nublar makes a great point...but, man ohh man! It would have been great having Mathis playing with us this year!
    ANGELOfinsFAN
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    32 years old, making $5 million this year and wants a raise, high draft pick compensation needed. Short term it would be a great move, long term it wouldn't have. Mathis will make more money in 2014 than Billy Turner over the next four years combined. Four years from now, Turner will probably be solidified as a starter on the line, at 36 Mathis might be retired.
    In all due respect, you have to be kidding me. You would prefer to roll the dice on a kid who may or may not ever start in the NFL over an All Pro? I could care less on if it's only for a couple of years.

This is Tannehill's BIG year to succeed or, wait at least another 3 years. Why would anyone not want to give him the best chance to do that? Over money, and waiting for a Billy Turner to help him maybe in the next couple of years?

Makes no sense to me at all. JMO
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    I'm going to revisit this one last time because it still really bothers me. We could have traded a 3rd rounder (turned out to be Turner) for the best guy on the OL in the entire NFL last year (not only OG's). We end up with Billy Turner (who many love) in his place. Then we add Colledge at OG as well. If you let them both play together, they may not be close to as good as Mathis by himself.

Yet, we pass. Maybe it was the money. I'm sure that Tannehill and our RB's agree that the $16M in the bank is much more important than a Great player on the OL.

Anyone with a somewhat reasonable explanation?
    Prob age more than anything and money. I wouldn't trade a 3rd rounder either not that Im sane. There were guards we could have signed in free agency like Asomah that would not have broke the bank and are fairly young.
    Lets trade them Michael Egnew, Danial Thomas and throw in Dannell ellerbee to replace their broken linebacker lol. Of course they would balk but hey what the hell
    When Death Smiles Upon You the Infantryman smiles back
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Avoid the 'Noid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    In all due respect, you have to be kidding me. You would prefer to roll the dice on a kid who may or may not ever start in the NFL over an All Pro? I could care less on if it's only for a couple of years.

This is Tannehill's BIG year to succeed or, wait at least another 3 years. Why would anyone not want to give him the best chance to do that? Over money, and waiting for a Billy Turner to help him maybe in the next couple of years?

Makes no sense to me at all. JMO

If your building for tomorrow you pass on a 35 yr old. If your building for today, your route is the road to take.

People here are advocating the trade of Pouncey. So bringing in a 35 yr old lineman, would be up their alley.
    I believe in building inside out. But I also believe you build through the draft. Old line men and MIA recent history with them, is a no no.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Avoid the 'Noid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I also believe minus a complete melt down, Hickey and Philbin will be here for year 4.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by DolfanDuBbZ~ View Post
    If your building for tomorrow you pass on a 35 yr old. If your building for today, your route is the road to take.

People here are advocating the trade of Pouncey. So bringing in a 35 yr old lineman, would be up their alley.
    I believe in building inside out. But I also believe you build through the draft. Old line men and MIA recent history with them, is a no no.
    Mathis is 32. BIG difference.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    Prob age more than anything and money. I wouldn't trade a 3rd rounder either not that Im sane. There were guards we could have signed in free agency like Asomah that would not have broke the bank and are fairly young.
    Lets trade them Michael Egnew, Danial Thomas and throw in Dannell ellerbee to replace their broken linebacker lol. Of course they would balk but hey what the hell
    Yeah, those 3rd rounder do make a difference in winning. Who do we have left, OV and Turner? Then there was Jerry and Pat Turner in recent history.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St Helens, Or
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If your goal is long term success you don't do it by signing guys who have a very limited shelf life. The best teams tend to build by drafting well and developing players. So it depends on your philosophy. Are the fins one lineman away from the Super Bowl? If you think they are then maybe getting Mathis makes sense.
    Failure isn't fatal. Failure to change might be. - John Wooden
    Quote Quote