Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Scientists Manufacture Material So Dark the Human Eye Can Not See It

1. -1
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo

Scientists Manufacture Material So Dark the Human Eye Can Not See It

A British company has produced a "strange, alien" material so black that it absorbs all but 0.035 per cent of visual light, setting a new world record. To stare at the "super black" coating made of carbon nanotubes each 10,000 times thinner than a human hair is an odd experience. It is so dark that the human eye cannot understand what it is seeing. Shapes and contours are lost, leaving nothing but an apparent abyss.

Actual applications are more serious, enabling astronomical cameras, telescopes and infrared scanning systems to function more effectively. Then there are the military uses that the material's maker, Surrey NanoSystems, is not allowed to discuss.

The nanotube material, named Vantablack, has been grown on sheets of aluminium foil by the Newhaven-based company. While the sheets may be crumpled into miniature hills and valleys, this landscape disappears on areas covered by it.
    "You expect to see the hills and all you can see it's like black, like a hole, like there's nothing there. It just looks so strange," said Ben Jensen, the firm's chief technical officer.

It also has "virtually undetectable levels of outgassing and particle fallout", which can contaminate the most sensitive imaging systems. The material conducts heat seven and a half times more effectively than copper and has 10 times the tensile strength of steel.
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-30427632.html
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't know how to square the idea that it conducts heat efficiently with the idea that it absorbs all light.

I mean, if you take anything copper and heat it up, it will "glow" with that heat in the form of infrared light (which is given off by radiant heat). But this stuff absorbs all light. If you put it on your skin, it's ability to conduct heat should make it "glow", but apparently it doesn't. So what happens to the energy from the heat? What happens to the light?

Stuff like this is why I stayed away from thermodynamics courses in college and stuck to literature.

#freespesh
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Is "produced" the same as "reaching into Walrus' soul and pulled some of it out"?
    Nearly 70% of the Earth is covered by water...the rest is covered by Gerod Holliman.

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    Is "produced" the same as "reaching into Walrus' soul and pulled some of it out"?
    Yeah, apparently this stuff is about as invisible as his logic as well. Maybe his soul ate that too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    In all seriousness, they are probably making invisible planes and cars. Lord knows what else they will hide in plain sight. If they are admitting they have it, they have probably actually had it in military use for years. It is likely just obsolete as a secret weapon so they will launch it commercially.

In other news, the Roadrunner could actually paint a faux train tunnel with this stuff and get Wile E. Coyote to smash into a rock wall.

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    In all seriousness, they are probably making invisible planes and cars. Lord knows what else they will hide in plain sight. If they are admitting they have it, they have probably actually had it in military use for years. It is likely just obsolete as a secret weapon so they will launch it commercially.

In other news, the Roadrunner could actually paint a faux train tunnel with this stuff and get Wile E. Coyote to smash into a rock wall.

Maybe that hulking hole that showed up in Siberia is just an ICBM coated with this stuff.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    After reading a bit more closely it appears this material only absorbs the visible light. Not the infrared heat. So if you were wearing this you would still be extremely visible under night vision goggles, for example. I'd be intrigued to know what the material does with the visible light, though. It must transform it into a different kind of energy (infrared heat, for example). It's highly conductive properties might enable that to happen more efficiently.

I wonder if the fact that it's constructed out of nanotubes means that whatever the visible light is transformed into is only apparent on the back side of the material. In other words, it might appear to be somewhat invisible by infrared goggles from the front because the heat is being radiating on the inside of the material. On the other hand it might just radiate the heat generally.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; 07-18-2014 at 02:07 PM.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It is just another release of alien technology from area 51.
    Quote Quote