Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slimm's 2015 Tight Ends

1. -11
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Fun fact about James, he was recruited as an OT but then when Penn State saw his athleticism kept him at TE.

The Michigan TE to watch is currently hurt, but Jake Butt is gonna be a solid TE prospect in his own right
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I was compiling as much relevant film on C.J. Uzomah as I could last night. Wasn't happy with the video quality so I didn't put it up on YouTube or anything, it's just another collection in the film library for now.

I think he's another one of these glorified wide receiver types whose blocking people will question. But the fact of the matter is he's 6'5" & 265 lbs, and he looks big and strong on the film. If Michael Egnew can become a good blocker by the end, then there's no reason a guy as big, strong and physical as C.J. Uzomah can't. He's not a blocker right now because he transitioned from QB to WR to TE. It's more teaching and usage than anything else right now. I wouldn't question Uzomah's physicality out on the field. He blows people up after the catch, breaks tackles, and he can take vicious hits and keep hold of the ball (he took one by Mosley that would have shaken up most players, hung onto the ball).

Love his overall body control, flexibility and burst. There were two touchdown catches in 2013 he caught from a perimeter WR position where he did a stop-and-go against defensive backs, actually creating the separation he needed to catch the ball. That's how he caught the game-winning touchdown against Mississippi State's Cedric Jiles with 10 seconds left in the game. He also caught a touchdown that way against Cyrus Jones of Alabama. A 265 lbs guy able to create separation on 180-195 lbs corners? You kidding me?

He's on Slimm's list, so he knows about him. I think he should probably be higher on the list but that's not important. I'm not seeing Uzomah brought up by ANYONE in the draft community (CBS Sports, Rotoworld, Bleacher Report, Yahoo, NFL Network, etc). In that way this reminds me of Troy Niklas a year ago where it seemed I kept talking and talking about him for months and all of those draft guys were more or less thinking, "who?". Except I wouldn't compare Uzomah the player on the field to Niklas, more to Vance McDonald but with much, much, much better hands (from what I've seen).
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Uzomah's a nice player. He's just one of those guys that's been caught between positions and doesn't really have the production to put ahead of the players in front of him. However, he's clutch and always comes up big when he's given an opportunity. He could easily climb up my board with a solid season. A lot of the best TE's in the NFL didn't have a lot of production in college. Some had none at all.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That position is difficult to evaluate based on production. So many college offenses out there just don't even bother with the tight end, regardless of how good of a player they have there. Some college offenses are so run-based that even if they give a healthy amount of attention in the passing game to the tight end he still only ends up with like 20 catches.

It's the combination of size, strength, body control, burst and pure ball skills that really has me going with Uzomah. And as you say there were some clutch plays in there.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Ours is the fury.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jake McGee broke his leg in the first half yesterday.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jimmy Graham spends 2/3 of his snaps in the slot or flexed out. Devin Funchess will do the same. It's the new breed of TE.

I would think Jesse James would wait till next year and play another year with Hackenburg but idk.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jesse James reminds me of a lesser Troy Niklas. James has much more athleticism/fluidness but is less of a blocker and has worse hands. I've watched probably 80% of every game Christian Hackenberg has played in because I think he is the next star "elite" quarterback, and it seems James is dropping 2 passes every game.
    Quote Quote