Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 147 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: America is not for black people

1. -1
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

America is not for black people

The United States of America is not for black people. We know this, and then we put it out of our minds, and then something happens to remind us. Saturday, in the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson, Mo., something like that happened: An unarmed 18-year-old black man was executed by police in broad daylight.

By now, what's happening in Ferguson is about so many second-order issues—systemic racism, the militarization of police work, and how citizens can redress grievances, among other things—that it's worth remembering what actually happened here.

Michael Brown was walking down the middle of the street in Ferguson's Canfield Green apartment complex around noon on Saturday with his friend Dorin Johnson when the two were approached by a police officer in a police truck. The officer exchanged words with the boys. The officer attempted to get out of his car. At this point, two narratives split.

According to the still-unnamed officer, one of the two boys shoved him back into the vehicle and then wrestled for his sidearm, discharging one shot into the cabin. The two ran, and the police officer once again stepped from his vehicle and shot at the fleeing teenagers multiple times, killing Brown.

According to Johnson and other eye witnesses, however, the cop ordered the friends to "get the **** on the sidewalk," but the teenagers said they had almost reached their destination. That's when the officer slammed his door open so hard that it bounced off of Brown and closed again. The cop then reached out and grabbed Brown by the neck, then by the shirt.

"I'm gonna shoot you," the cop said.

The cop shot him once, but Brown pulled away, and the pair were still able to run away together. The officer fired again. Johnson ducked behind a car, but the cop's second shot caused Brown to stop about 35 feet away from the cruiser, still within touching distance of Johnson. Multiple witnesses say this is when Brown raised his hands in the air to show he was unarmed. Johnson remembered that Brown also said, "I don't have a gun, stop shooting!" The officer then shot him dead.
    http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/ame...ple-1620169913

I don't necessarily agree with all of the writer's conclusions, but I also grew up as a half hispanic kid in a mixed race suburb. That isn't my life or my experience.

But it is the experience for many black people. The writer summarizes how many of them feel, especially by the police, because that's how they're treated. I remember how shocked I was to hear LeVar "Reading Rainbow" Burton say that when he's pulled over by the police, he sticks his hands out of the window to show the police he's unarmed. And he's taught his son to do the same.

And can you really blame him, or them?

Just look at what's going on in Ferguson tonight. I grabbed a bunch of tweets and etc really quick just to give the flavor of it...

@Breaking911
    BREAKING: Police just told a Fox station in #Ferguson, the last one broadcasting, to turn off its camera.

Scott Tobias ‏@scott_tobias 50m Official statement on #Ferguson from "Don't Tread On Me" flag-owners: "Meh."

@TallyAnnaE
    People in #Gaza are tweeting information on how to handle tear gas to the citizens of #Ferguson. Mind blown. #MikeBrown

Twenty minute video from a protest where rubber bullets and tear gas have been fired on the crowd: http://new.livestream.com/accounts/9...events/3271930

Jeremy Smith ‏@mrbeaks 22m
    Absence of NRA/conservative/libertarian outrage is incontrovertible proof they only represent white America. #ferguson

BrianKeene ‏@BrianKeene 1h
    Police firing flashbang grenades and rubber bullets into the #Ferguson protester crowd: http://t.co/kpEU5ZmM4m

Jack Moore ‏@JackPMoore 1h
    Why does a small town in Missouri have tanks? Under what circumstance would a town of 21,000 people need multiple tanks?

Justin Ivey ‏@JustinIveyKN 42m
    Local reporter on MSNBC says the police have been dictating to the media over the last 3 nights, telling them what they can & cannot cover.

BrianKeene ‏@BrianKeene 1h
    In a study of 90 patients injured by rubber bullets, 1 died, 17 suffered permanent deformities and 41 required hospital treatment #Ferguson

Kenzo Shibata ‏@KenzoShibata Aug 12
    Hey guys, there's a town that's a no-fly-zone with a media blackout right in the middle of our country. Let that sink in.

Alex Payne ‏@al3x 35m
    Police in #Ferguson announcing "your right to demonstrate is not being obstructed" through a megaphone on a tank. America.

Angelo Carusone ‏@GoAngelo 29m
    Recognize hypocrisy of right-wingers screaming about govt tyranny over healthcare and taxes while simultaneously cheering militarized police

Sgt Shamrock ‏@GoIrishGlory 58m
    @Adam_Jacobi The amount of body armor the cops are wearing is more than I wore in AFGHANISTAN. Just unreal.

Elon James White ‏@elonjames 58m
    I'm not even sure we can get back in to #Ferguson. I asked a cop about road access and had a Sniper rifle pointed at my chest...

Russ Fischer ‏@russfischer 53m
    The fact that no major news networks are live on the ground in Ferguson kinda denies that whole “liberal media” concept, eh?

David Dobbs ‏@David_Dobbs 1h
    Rules of engagement looser in #Ferguson than Iraq/Afghanistan. US mil can aim weapons only at imminent threats. MO cops pointing at will.

The President must address this. He must do everything he can to put an end to this bull**** violence. And then he must stop the sale of military surplus to towns like this.

Some general info on Ferguson.

#freespesh
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    17-0, 347 wins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Milky Way
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo
    It's ****in' disgusting. Kind of difficult to comprehend the bull**** that's happening there right now.

Where was this militarized force when the situation arose concerning the white self-righteous tax-evading cow farmer and his GI-JOe wannabee's. Absolutely deplorable.

[removed by mod]
    Last edited by Bumpus; 08-14-2014 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Personal attack.
    To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable. Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    A few more.

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 34m
    Ferguson is an illustration of fact that for black people, federalism and local control often means means neglect and repression.

kyle cummings ‏@boywonderkyle 4h
    One photo is from The Dark Knight Rises & one photo is from Missouri. Only one involves a terrorist with a warhead.

Alice Speri @alicesperi 37m
    Officer literally just asked me if I want to get shot (for taking a photo of all things...) No thanks for asking, I'll pass. #Ferguson

The above tweet from a reporter. Threatened. With execution.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I've said it many times. Video cameras. Mandatory. For all police. Everywhere. All the time.

We'd have answers to the Michael Brown situation if there was video. That could have prevented things boiling over in this situation.

Though this situation has obviously grown way beyond one dead black teenager. It's causes are much deeper.

By the way, another unarmed black teenager was apparently shot today by police in Los Angeles. How surprising.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; 08-14-2014 at 02:24 AM.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    A reporter for the Washington Post and a reporter for the Huffington Post were assaulted and arrested in Ferguson. Their story in tweets:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...cdonald_s.html
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It is hard to tell it apart from the Sixties.

I have generally made an observation that people are too well off and insulated to rise up and protest the way we see in the rest of the world, but this sort of action is inspiring. There is no way that the police in the city, or even in the state, can continue the disparaging practice. You cannot arrest, mace, subdue, or injure every protester. While there is some sympathy for the officers who were not part of the initial incident and are probably scared of the situation themselves, the complicity grows when there is such overt hostility toward journalists. Why on Earth is there a no-fly zone; are a bunch of protesters going to shoot down a helicopter like they are in the Ukraine?
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    17-0, 347 wins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Milky Way
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Journalist Jon Swaine being told. "Move or you are next".

https://vine.co/v/MYwwrHDw5pX
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't recall the police having tanks in the 60s. The police is more militarized now than they've ever been. Then again it only took a few teenagers dead at Kent State to change the entire flavor of the peace movement. That was after much more sustained turmoil than this, though. White students, obviously. Which is always what it takes for the public at large to become enraged.

The Civil Rights movement was it's own kind of war zone, obviously. Many died at the hands of police. Many.

Speaking of which, the KKK is apparently raising money for the officer who shot Michael Brown.

http://linkis.com/www.splcenter.org/bl/h8Gzg
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 112013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    I've said it once. I've said it many times. Video cameras. Mandatory. For all police. Everywhere. All the time.

We'd have answers to the Michael Brown situation if there was video. That could have prevented things boiling over in this situation.

Though this situation has obviously grown way beyond one dead black teenager. It's causes are much deeper.

By the way, another unarmed black teenager was apparently shot today by police in Los Angeles. How surprising.
    Stop listening to the Young Turks [removed by mod]
    Last edited by Bumpus; 08-14-2014 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Personal attack.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    17-0, 347 wins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Milky Way
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jon Swaine ‏@jonswaine 2h

Just saw teargas land right at feet of al-Jazeera America camera crew. They say they were also shot at pic.twitter.com/tbMSlENDlV

Quote Quote