Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Injury Options for Final Cuts

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17

Injury Options for Final Cuts

The Arizona Cardinals decided against using their single "designated for return" option when placing rookie guard Jonathan Cooper on the season-ending injured reserve list Friday. This counts as a good time to brush up on the various injury-related options available to teams as they move toward the 53-man roster limit Saturday:

• PUP list: Players moved to the reserve/physically unable to perform list can resume practicing between Oct. 15 and Nov. 19. At that point, they have 21 calendar days to join the 53-man roster, at which point they become eligible to play in games. Players become ineligible for reserve/PUP once they have passed physical examinations for the coming season. Cooper was ineligible for this list once he passed his pre-camp physical. Note that players on the active/PUP list count against active roster limits and can join their teams at any time during camp, provided they pass a physical. Players on reserve/PUP do not count against active roster limits. Michael Crabtree and Percy Harvin recently moved from active/PUP to reserve/PUP, for example.
    • NFI list: The rules and qualifications for the non-football injury (NFI) list mirror those for PUP. The difference is that players on NFI suffered their injuries outside an NFL context, usually either while playing in college or away from the team.
    • IR list: Players on the traditional injured reserve list cannot play until the following season. In some cases, players on IR negotiate settlements allowing them to become free agents in exchange for a reduced portion of their scheduled salaries. These players cannot immediately re-sign with the same team.
    • IR-DFR list: A team can name one player per season to the injured reserve-designated for return list. Players on IR-DFR must miss at least eight weeks before returning. There would be no reason to use this designation for any player qualifying under the PUP or NFI rules. Cooper would have been a logical candidate for this list if the Cardinals were confident he could return late in the season.
    From ESPN

This is from last year but, remains the same. From what I understand, we can keep one guy who can come back in 8 week, and any others are on the roster or out for the year. IF Pouncey is on the roster, would we maybe consider Sturgis or, someone else?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    My head's on Fire!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Panhandle, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I could see us IRing Sturgis.
    Dick Butkus: "I wouldn't ever set out to hurt anyone deliberately unless it was, you know, important like a league game or something."
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hewitt, NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I hope Pouncey is not put on IR. Would love to see him back sooner. At this point, I think Sturgis needs to be put on IR. Even if he is healthy in 2 weeks, this groin injury keeps coming back. I would like to see what Potter can do for a few weeks.
    Quote Quote