Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will Davis is more consistent

1. -21
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by spiketex View Post
    The old Parcells strategy of drafting 2 players at the same position and seeing which one develops the best sometimes seems to favor the lower drafted guy. The higher drafted guy sometimes misses out - eg Philip Merling (2) vs Kendall Langford (3), Patrick Turner (3) vs Brian Hartline (4), BJ Cunningham (6) vs Rishard Matthews (7). Bigger expectations were on the higher drafted player, but the underdog won everytime. Note - in these 3 examples, all of the lower drafted players are still in the NFL but none of the higher drafted players are.
    That's a good example of crappy drafting lol. Philip Merling had no business being drafted for a 3-4 team...that pick never made any sense to me. Patrick Turner was garbage at USC, got away with being just a bigger, more physical receiver in college but even there he never got separation...dumb pick. Cunningham and Matthews were probably the most evenly matched coming out of college...Cunningham just couldn't catch the ball when he got here...nevertheless we should have taken a WR much earlier in the draft like a T.Y. Hilton (who was in our backyard) instead of Michael Egnew.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datruth55 View Post
    That's a good example of crappy drafting lol. Philip Merling had no business being drafted for a 3-4 team...that pick never made any sense to me. Patrick Turner was garbage at USC, got away with being just a bigger, more physical receiver in college but even there he never got separation...dumb pick. Cunningham and Matthews were probably the most evenly matched coming out of college...Cunningham just couldn't catch the ball when he got here...nevertheless we should have taken a WR much earlier in the draft like a T.Y. Hilton (who was in our backyard) instead of Michael Egnew.
    Maybe crappy drafting (we've seen our share), it is easy to dismiss the underdog carrying lower expectations but it happens. In hindsight you'd say that Hartline and Rishard Matthews were pretty good draft picks.
    There is a good contest between Jamar Taylor and Will Davis and one will get significantly more playing time. The departure of Reshad Jones for the first 4 games and Jimmy's move to Safety as an interim, means someone will get an opportunity and they both know it. I'm rooting for Davis and if given the chance, he will fight very hard to not give it up.
    Last edited by spiketex; 08-22-2014 at 11:09 AM.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think Davis can be our D. Patterson this year. Not consistent but a playmaker.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm a Davis fan. The kid reminds me sooooooooo much of Terrell Buckley.

Last year he was making good strides and injuries set him back. I'm very happy to see he is continuing to make great strides this preseason too.

But take his play thus far with a grain of salt. When our offense practices short routes he knows he isn't going to get beat over the top. He has had a lot of time to figure out Tannehill's tendencies.

But against a game plan and a savvy QB with whom he isn't that familiar, he will get burned. It will be up to Delmas, Wilson and Jones to bail him out on those pump fakes and double moves.

Davis is definitely getting better. He is picking his spots more and gambling less. But, at the end of the day, he plays a very high risk/high reward style.

I am on the bandwagon. But I expect a lot of jumping on and off and on again if Davis plays a lot this season.
    "I want guys who want to make an impact on and off the field. Good human beings. Guys who want to get better. Guys who want to improve. They want to be great, want to win. Those types of guys we can work with every day." --Joe Philbin
    - Defending the Read Option - What do you think?
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Dolfan for Life

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Coral Gables, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    T-Buck could tackle though.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like Will Davis a lot. Even though he knows that he's in danger of getting burned for taking risks, he still doesn't shy away from it; I love the confidence. As Digital said, he reminds me of T-Buck, who had the same mentality. He gave up a big play here and there by gambling, but the man had 50 INTs in his 13 year career!; by comparison, Deion had 53 in his 16 year career.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Maybe crappy drafting (we've seen our share), it is easy to dismiss the underdog carrying lower expectations but it happens. In hindsight you'd say that Hartline and Rishard Matthews were pretty good draft picks.
    There is a good contest between Jamar Taylor and Will Davis and one will get significantly more playing time. The departure of Reshad Jones for the first 4 games and Jimmy's move to Safety as an interim, means someone will get an opportunity and they both know it. I'm rooting for Davis and if given the chance, he will fight very hard to not give it up.
    I can tell you the Kendall Langford was high on my list. I had done an article on him for another site and he was one of my small school sleeper picks. I wasn't surprised when he started for us.

Hartline was a lucky break. I was surprised he declared for the NFL draft early when he really didn't do much at OSU. I'm pretty sure he had less than 500 yards receiving his Junior year IIRC and was never a TD threat. That pick was just dumb luck. Rishard Matthews is a good example of coaching up a player...but don't tell anyone around here that Philbin is coaching up players...they don't want to hear it. Matthews has been developed much like they develop receivers in Green Bay...and Matthews was very accomplished at Nevada.

I thought Jamar Taylor would be a very solid CB for us but it looks like the 2nd round curse for Jeff Ireland lives on. Still time for him I guess but there's some disappointment there for me.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We are gonna rack up the INTs this year
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Undrafted Pro-Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Montreal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Taylor was dealing with depression because he missed home and his family. Maybe this affected his play and progress
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I disagree 100%. I think Davis is smarter and more confident. I think that he has the bigger upside because of his great instincts and propensity to make interceptions. Will Davis has the potential to be a star and lots of you can't or don't want to see it. Day after day at Practice, he excels. He is probably among the very best players at the Training Camp. Go back and look at the comments from the tweeters watching every day. Will makes plays. He just needs an opportunity to show it on the field in games. He has earned it.
    The competition has helped to improve both Jamar and Will. Make no mistake, Jamar could also be decent. Just because he was drafted higher doesn't necessarily make him better. Natural competitors respond to being drafted as the underdog.
    The old Parcells strategy of drafting 2 players at the same position and seeing which one develops the best sometimes seems to favor the lower drafted guy. The higher drafted guy sometimes misses out - eg Philip Merling (2) vs Kendall Langford (3), Patrick Turner (3) vs Brian Hartline (4), BJ Cunningham (6) vs Rishard Matthews (7). Bigger expectations were on the higher drafted player, but the underdog won everytime. Note - in these 3 examples, all of the lower drafted players are still in the NFL but none of the higher drafted players are.
    Nice take! didnt suck.
    Quote Quote