Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A topic that should get Mole angry

1. -1
    Is Drunk at the Wheel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Clifton Park, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks

A topic that should get Mole angry

This is way left wing. There is a commercial running on TV that brought up an interesting point. They stated that the US has spent either 450 billion or 45 billion on the "Drug War" in the past 5 years. I know there is a huge differince in the 2, but either way that is a ridicouls amount of money. It was sponsered by a group that tries to make generic presciption drugs available.

No mole I don't beleave everything I see on TV, but having done papers on this subject before I know the number is pretty close to accurate. It doesn't however reflect the money that is spent keeping people arrested for drug use or sales in jale witch I would have assume would be a number in the 100s of millions.

I have to ask the question why? What has those billions of dollars done? I have worked with kids by volenteering for many differint things over the past 5 years I from what I unserstand they aren't having any trouble getting drugs. Also working in retail I have worked with many high school kids and college students, and they don't have any trouble finding drugs.

There has to be something else that money could go towards that the american people could actully see results after spending billions of dollars on. Like maybee health care, social security, now this is just crazy but what about education? Alot of us live in Florida witch is ranked 48th in country in education. I am curious if some of that money was spent on teachers, school supplies, and school programs if I could turn the news once and not here about a kid shot in the Ft. Myers area over drugs or gang related activity.

I could go on for hours about this subject, so I will stop now, and save some for replies.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    On an island
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My friends get drugs so easily. I'm not a user but I know that it is very easy to get marijuana, cocaine, etc. The money spent on the "war on drugs" does nothing. Arresting users doesn't do much as well. The money would be better spent on rehab centers where they could help users quit, or many other things, such as making presciption drugs cheaper in the USA, education, etc.
    Last edited by iceblizzard69; 04-06-2004 at 11:53 PM.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Ephemeral

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Being so close to Mexico, I experience first hand how easily drugs can be acquired. I apologize to anyone this may offend, but I can't see where this money is being spent. Not much has changed in one of the top states for drug use, violent crimes, and homocide, all of which are related to eachother. I agree with you one 100% Dajesus. If this money isn't going to be used for visible improvement, it would be best used on something more productive, such as education......
    Coin toss at the Emerald Bowl......
    _
    "Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that..." ~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
    _
    "Seek to understand before you seek to be understood..."
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Is Drunk at the Wheel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Clifton Park, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Reagan was the one who really waged the current war on Drugs. Spending billions on the "war" while are econemy went to sh!t. I will give credit where it is due. I think the Dare program is a great program, but besides that I can't think of any other money eating action to rid our streets of drugs that has really had any affect. I think it is regressing if anything. I did use many drugs as a kid, but haven't touched them a crazy weekend Phish concert in the summer of '99. As a kid by 16 I could score just about anything I wanted, from weed to herroin. When I was 10-14 I hated anyone that I suspected did drugs. I was in the majority in that age group. 12 years later I hear of 11-14 year olds getting high all the time. If its on trash TV like Springer or hands on vulonteer work. I can only go by what I have sceen, but that seems like regression rather than progress, and we the tax payer our suffering for these misspent funds. I can't imagine being a parent, and having to send my kid to a school where said kid is neglected due to oversized class rooms while my tax money is used to fight this phantom war.

I think you have to look at Holland when you speak of this topic. They have very loose laws when it comes to drugs, and they have the one of the lowest violent crime rates in the entire world.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Now completely imaginary

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Elsewhere
    Thanks / No Thanks
    But Holland is also one of the smallest countries in the world, whereas we are one of the largest. Things that work great in many countries simply cannot/do not work in this country simply due to sheer volume.

I agree that things aren't really that great as far as prevention and availability (meaning it's easy to find stuff). But I have to wonder how much more abundant the drug supply and use (along with crime rate, etc) would be without all this money that is currently being spent on the drug war. I really don't know because I have no idea what kind of results they're getting as far as seizures, arrests, etc. as a whole. But I do think about it.

Maybe it's time to do as Jessie Ventura said. Legalize the "small stuff" (marijuana), regulate it, and tax it. That way you eliminate the black market. And as long as people follow the rules (no use outside home, etc), things might be ok.

I'm not saying that's the answer. I really haven't given the topic and enormous amount of thought. And the US government historically doesn't seem to be to keen on cutting bait or admitting defeat/failure on something as publicized and backed as the drug war. But maybe it's a step in the right direction.

Also, in case this means anything, I've never once touched drugs in my life.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by Dajesus

I think you have to look at Holland when you speak of this topic. They have very loose laws when it comes to drugs, and they have the one of the lowest violent crime rates in the entire world.
    Good idea, bad example. Personally, I'm in favor of decriminalizing dug USE, and legalizing marajuana. As far as pot goes, if we're going to allow cigaretts, it's just hypocracy not to allow pot. As for other drugs, treat it as a sickness, not a crime and it would DRASTICALLY reduce prison populations, and eliminate the "criminal factories" that prisons have become. Non-violent drug users go in, viloent drug users come out. Treatment facilities would be cheaper and more effective than prisons. As for Holland, yes there's little crime. But it's also has the highest per capita incidence of AIDS/STD's outside of Afica. That is NOT the model we want to emulate.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chester,Va.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Superman logoFord LogoCam Wake 91
    I don't think drug addiction is a sickness, but rather an ignorance. To call it a sickness would imply that I should feel sorry for people who have that addiction.The only people who I could feel sorry for are those who are forced to take a drug for some reason, and then become addicted.(Not the teenager who choses to experiment, because all of his friends are doing it.)
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by Scrap
    I don't think drug addiction is a sickness, but rather an ignorance. To call it a sickness would imply that I should feel sorry for people who have that addiction.The only people who I could feel sorry for are those who are forced to take a drug for some reason, and then become addicted.(Not the teenager who choses to experiment, because all of his friends are doing it.)
    Actually I'd call it a weakness. They have found evidence that some people are bioloically more susceptable to drugs than others. I just never had an interest in drugs, so I never tried them. I don't think that's because I'm somehow superior to those who do, I'm just not wired that way. Bottom line however is that for whatever the reason, treatment/therapy has a MUCH higher success rate at ending recidivism than prison does. All a drug user learns in prison is how to commit worse crimes. Treatment is also MUCH cheaper than prison, which is of course why the companies that service the prison system are also some of the strongest lobbies AGAINST decriminalization.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Maria & LauRen Aha!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CT
    Thanks / No Thanks
    it is drug-related crime that is the main problem. Not the legalizing all drugs to eliminate the drug business w/b effective or consiencionable health-wise. I can see marijuana being legalized, but certainly nothing else. But it will never happen based on the current right wing political climate and president.

http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/T/tosh_legalb.jpg

Back the question at hand: the drug war has certainly been run irresponsibly w/o any accountability. If the drug war was run like a business, i.e. get results or fold, they w/have folded long ago. Fact is until you eliminate demand, you will not eliminate the supply side
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chester,Va.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Superman logoFord LogoCam Wake 91
    Originally posted by PhinPhan1227

Actually I'd call it a weakness. They have found evidence that some people are bioloically more susceptable to drugs than others. I just never had an interest in drugs, so I never tried them. I don't think that's because I'm somehow superior to those who do, I'm just not wired that way. Bottom line however is that for whatever the reason, treatment/therapy has a MUCH higher success rate at ending recidivism than prison does. All a drug user learns in prison is how to commit worse crimes. Treatment is also MUCH cheaper than prison, which is of course why the companies that service the prison system are also some of the strongest lobbies AGAINST decriminalization.
    Thing is, you had the smarts not to even try drugs. Had you tried them, then it would test your weakness to them.I'm not implying that you are a superior person to those who have tried drugs, but you have been smarter on this aspect of your life. We are all told at some point that drugs are bad, and harmful. IMO, those who don't try any drugs are the one's who are making the smarter move.Some try drugs, yet know better than to let them take over their lives. In no way, can I call drug addiction a sickness. I feel sorry for those who are sick, while I find it hard to feel pity for those who have been warned of the dangers of drug usage ahead of time.
    Last edited by Scrap; 04-07-2004 at 01:32 PM.
    Quote Quote