Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Is Florida a Liberal or Conservative state?

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No. CA
    Thanks / No Thanks

Is Florida a Liberal or Conservative state?

Hi, all. I'm working on a social studies project and was hoping to get some opinions. Is Florida a more liberal or more conservative state?

I know the topic is a gray area and my research thus far shows it to be as such in Florida. Just like here in CA, there is division between the northern and southern parts of the state. Plus, I know those 2 lables are hard to pin on any person or group.

I thought it might make an interesting thread too. Any insight, opinions or comments are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

- Dolphins fan in CA
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    On the golf course
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Depends on what area of Florida you are referring to. The state is really a toss up. The South Florida area, as well as Tallahassee is about 60 - 70% democrat/liberal. Tampa, Jacksonville and the rural areas of the state are conservative/Republican.

If you look at the State Legislature and Executive Branch you'll find a majority that is Republican/Conservative. Gov. Bush is Republican, as is about 65% of the legislative branch. Based on that alone you get a conservative state. Funny too, because both Senators are Democrats, as are a majority of the Federal Representatives.

I think what explains all this is that you have a lot of former New Yorkers that have moved to South Florida that brought liberalism with them. Those that have been in Florida for most of their lives and live in rural areas generally vote conservative.

When it all comes down to it the people examine the candidate for each office and vote their conscience. It just depends on who it is.
    Rick Williams is DEAD to me.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    aka FinSane

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by baracuda
    Depends on what area of Florida you are referring to. The state is really a toss up. The South Florida area, as well as Tallahassee is about 60 - 70% democrat/liberal. Tampa, Jacksonville and the rural areas of the state are conservative/Republican.

If you look at the State Legislature and Executive Branch you'll find a majority that is Republican/Conservative. Gov. Bush is Republican, as is about 65% of the legislative branch. Based on that alone you get a conservative state. Funny too, because both Senators are Democrats, as are a majority of the Federal Representatives.

I think what explains all this is that you have a lot of former New Yorkers that have moved to South Florida that brought liberalism with them. Those that have been in Florida for most of their lives and live in rural areas generally vote conservative.

When it all comes down to it the people examine the candidate for each office and vote their conscience. It just depends on who it is.
    The Panhandle is also mostly conservative as well as many parts of Central Florida, although Id say Central Florida is quite mixed. If you break it down by counties, I can tell you for South Florida, Palm Beach is mostly liberal with some conservative influence in rural areas such as Loxahatchee(I used to live there I would know). Broward, Miami-Dade, Monroe(and the Keys) are very Democrat/Liberal, with high populations of minorities and people of the Jewish faith who tend to vote Democrat(same goes with Palm Beach). SW coast Im not too familiar with but I believe its Democrat(correct me if Im wrong). Daytona area I think is mixed, with Volusa county holding a conservative base. Northern Florida, east of the Panhandle, Im also not too familiar with. Most of this info is based on educated guesses, so I wouldnt take my word for it but I think its pretty accurate. If anyone has any data on which states voted for who in 2000, it would be a bit more accurate, Im too tried to do it, but if anyone does it would be nice to see it. Im not going to complain about the election, I already did, so it would be just for the data. Im pretty instrested in knowing.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    There are a lot of Jewish retirees moving to S.Fla and the Tampa Bay area who are mainly liberal Democrats.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DolFan31
    The Panhandle is also mostly conservative as well as many parts of Central Florida, although Id say Central Florida is quite mixed. If you break it down by counties, I can tell you for South Florida, Palm Beach is mostly liberal with some conservative influence in rural areas such as Loxahatchee(I used to live there I would know). Broward, Miami-Dade, Monroe(and the Keys) are very Democrat/Liberal, with high populations of minorities and people of the Jewish faith who tend to vote Democrat(same goes with Palm Beach). SW coast Im not too familiar with but I believe its Democrat(correct me if Im wrong). Daytona area I think is mixed, with Volusa county holding a conservative base. Northern Florida, east of the Panhandle, Im also not too familiar with. Most of this info is based on educated guesses, so I wouldnt take my word for it but I think its pretty accurate. If anyone has any data on which states voted for who in 2000, it would be a bit more accurate, Im too tried to do it, but if anyone does it would be nice to see it. Im not going to complain about the election, I already did, so it would be just for the data. Im pretty instrested in knowing.

Two minorities you ignored...Miami/Dade is mixed. Yes there's a large liberal segment, but the Cuban segment is mostly conservative. And while much of the older Jewish population is liberal, many of the younger generation support the Repubs due to their support of Israel.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinPhan1227
    Two minorities you ignored...Miami/Dade is mixed. Yes there's a large liberal segment, but the Cuban segment is mostly conservative. And while much of the older Jewish population is liberal, many of the younger generation support the Repubs due to their support of Israel.

The Cuban American vote in 2000 went 82% Bush 15% Gore.

Bush lost Dade count by HALF A POINT in 2000.....
    "We Dolphin fans here, if you don't like the Dolphins then **** ya, you don't know nutin' bout that, that is the way we are born here in the 305, if you don't like the Dolphins, then **** ya, simple as that." - Trick Daddy
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    aka FinSane

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinPhan1227
    :o How could I forget? hehe.
    Quote Quote