Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Could the Catholic Church GET more idiotic?

  1. -1
    PhinPhan1227's Avatar
    Why is there a watermelon there?

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2002
    Posts:
    15,647
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Could the Catholic Church GET more idiotic?

    Is their some mindset in the Church that WANTS to alienate averyone it can?

    BRIELLE, New Jersey (AP) -- An 8-year-old girl who suffers from a rare digestive disorder and cannot eat wheat has had her first Holy Communion declared invalid because the wafer contained no wheat, violating Roman Catholic doctrine.

    Now, Haley Waldman's mother is pushing the Diocese of Trenton and the Vatican to make an exception, saying the girl's condition should not exclude her from the sacrament, which commemorates the Last Supper of Jesus Christ before his crucifixion. The mother believes a rice Communion wafer would suffice.

    "It's just not a viable option. How does it corrupt the tradition of the Last Supper? It's just rice versus wheat," said Elizabeth Pelly-Waldman.

    Church doctrine holds that Communion wafers, like the bread served at the Last Supper, must have at least some unleavened wheat. Church leaders are reluctant to change anything about the sacrament.

    "This is not an issue to be determined at the diocesan or parish level, but has already been decided for the Roman Catholic Church throughout the world by Vatican authority," Trenton Bishop John M. Smith said in a statement last week.

    Haley was diagnosed with celiac sprue disease when she was 5. The disorder occurs in people with a genetic intolerance of gluten, a food protein contained in wheat and other grains.

    When consumed by celiac sufferers, gluten damages the lining of the small intestine, blocking nutrient absorption and leading to vitamin deficiencies, bone-thinning and sometimes gastrointestinal cancer.

    The diocese has told Haley's mother that the girl can receive a low-gluten wafer, or just drink wine at Communion, but that anything without gluten does not qualify. Pelly-Waldman rejected the offer, saying her child could be harmed by even a small amount of the substance.

    Haley's Communion controversy isn't the first. In 2001, the family of a 5-year-old Massachusetts girl with the disease left the Catholic church after being denied permission to use a rice wafer.

    http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/08/19/com....ap/index.html
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2004
    Posts:
    114
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Pahokee FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    After all that has been going on with them this really does not surprise me at all. Looks like they would care more about her soul than ritual.
    For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    MDFINFAN's Avatar
    Reach for the Stars

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    21,326
    vCash:
    1148
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinPhan1227
    Is their some mindset in the Church that WANTS to alienate averyone it can?

    BRIELLE, New Jersey (AP) -- An 8-year-old girl who suffers from a rare digestive disorder and cannot eat wheat has had her first Holy Communion declared invalid because the wafer contained no wheat, violating Roman Catholic doctrine.

    Now, Haley Waldman's mother is pushing the Diocese of Trenton and the Vatican to make an exception, saying the girl's condition should not exclude her from the sacrament, which commemorates the Last Supper of Jesus Christ before his crucifixion. The mother believes a rice Communion wafer would suffice.

    "It's just not a viable option. How does it corrupt the tradition of the Last Supper? It's just rice versus wheat," said Elizabeth Pelly-Waldman.

    Church doctrine holds that Communion wafers, like the bread served at the Last Supper, must have at least some unleavened wheat. Church leaders are reluctant to change anything about the sacrament.

    "This is not an issue to be determined at the diocesan or parish level, but has already been decided for the Roman Catholic Church throughout the world by Vatican authority," Trenton Bishop John M. Smith said in a statement last week.

    Haley was diagnosed with celiac sprue disease when she was 5. The disorder occurs in people with a genetic intolerance of gluten, a food protein contained in wheat and other grains.

    When consumed by celiac sufferers, gluten damages the lining of the small intestine, blocking nutrient absorption and leading to vitamin deficiencies, bone-thinning and sometimes gastrointestinal cancer.

    The diocese has told Haley's mother that the girl can receive a low-gluten wafer, or just drink wine at Communion, but that anything without gluten does not qualify. Pelly-Waldman rejected the offer, saying her child could be harmed by even a small amount of the substance.

    Haley's Communion controversy isn't the first. In 2001, the family of a 5-year-old Massachusetts girl with the disease left the Catholic church after being denied permission to use a rice wafer.

    http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/08/19/com....ap/index.html
    This is the problem with man made doctrine, or should I say denominational doctrine. Communion is the act of the heart in which God sees your intention. For Man to punished the individual over this is just sad. That's why I tell people they have to read the bible for themselves and stop letting others interpret it for you. You never know someone's agenda, you have to establish a relationship with God for yourself. Man will tear you down anytime he gets the chance. And it's not man (the flesh and blood), but the spirit within them. This is just too sad. I hate to read things like this, it sends the wrong message to non believers.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    ohall's Avatar
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2002
    Posts:
    26,831
    vCash:
    6073
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    They have every right to do what they want to do. It's their rules, they can keep them the same or change them as they always have in the past. I feel very bad for the lil girl and her mother though.

    Oliver...
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    PhinPhan1227's Avatar
    Why is there a watermelon there?

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2002
    Posts:
    15,647
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ohall
    They have every right to do what they want to do. It's their rules, they can keep them the same or change them as they always have in the past. I feel very bad for the lil girl and her mother though.

    Oliver...

    WRONG...WRONG WRONG WRONG!! Accroding to THEM, it's GOD'S rules. And what kind of blithering idiot would think that God gives a rats a$$ what the Communion is made of? ESPECIALLY since according to Catholic Doctrine, it isn't BREAD when the parishoner eats it anyway. It's the flesh of Christ. It was transmogrified by prayer. That's a BASIC tenet of Catholicism.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    ohall's Avatar
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2002
    Posts:
    26,831
    vCash:
    6073
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinPhan1227
    WRONG...WRONG WRONG WRONG!! Accroding to THEM, it's GOD'S rules. And what kind of blithering idiot would think that God gives a rats a$$ what the Communion is made of? ESPECIALLY since according to Catholic Doctrine, it isn't BREAD when the parishoner eats it anyway. It's the flesh of Christ. It was transmogrified by prayer. That's a BASIC tenet of Catholicism.
    They feel the Pope is Gods representative on Earth. Take it up with him. I don't believe what they believe, but they do and I think that is the main point here. From their stand point if they start changing things like this pretty soon the main rules of the religion will be compromised. At that point what would separate them from any other religion? Like I said I don't believe in what they believe in, but I can see where they are coming from to an extent.

    Like I said I feel badly for the young girl and her mom. It's a harsh world sometimes. I'm sure in time it will get to the higher ups and in time this young girl will be able to get what she wants. No religion likes bad pub.

    Oliver...
    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2004
    Posts:
    114
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Pahokee FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I still don't see how they can choose tradition and ritual over the soul of a little girl. I do not believe the way they do about communion, but if you believe that something will save a persons soul from eternal damnation why would you not make the exception?
    Quote Originally Posted by ohall
    They feel the Pope is Gods representative on Earth. Take it up with him. I don't believe what they believe, but they do and I think that is the main point here. From their stand point if they start changing things like this pretty soon the main rules of the religion will be compromised. At that point what would separate them from any other religion? Like I said I don't believe in what they believe in, but I can see where they are coming from to an extent.

    Like I said I feel badly for the young girl and her mom. It's a harsh world sometimes. I'm sure in time it will get to the higher ups and in time this young girl will be able to get what she wants. No religion likes bad pub.

    Oliver...
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    WeVie's Avatar
    Champion Of The Beards!

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2003
    Posts:
    6,082
    vCash:
    3202
    Loc:
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Some other religions thing that the anti-christ will rise from the Catholic Church. To me the Catholic religion seems like it's made made up by the Romans anyway. Can anyone tell me anything of it before Rome was in power or even became a nation at all?
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    PhinPhan1227's Avatar
    Why is there a watermelon there?

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2002
    Posts:
    15,647
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WeVie
    Some other religions thing that the anti-christ will rise from the Catholic Church. To me the Catholic religion seems like it's made made up by the Romans anyway. Can anyone tell me anything of it before Rome was in power or even became a nation at all?


    It started in Rome, but was heavily influenced by Spain and especially France.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    WeVie's Avatar
    Champion Of The Beards!

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2003
    Posts:
    6,082
    vCash:
    3202
    Loc:
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    But where was it before that?? It started 100's and 100's of years after the Old Testement I think. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 01:28 PM
  2. That idiotic timeout will haunt me as much as...
    By ronrevog in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-27-2009, 08:38 PM
  3. Man sues over polling place at Catholic church
    By Eshlemon in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-08-2006, 06:33 PM
  4. Catholic Church withers in Europe
    By Dolphan7 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-04-2005, 11:45 AM
  5. Kerry said to be excommunicated from the Catholic Church
    By SkapePhin in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 189
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 12:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •