You guys still want to listen to the guy who recommended Feely?
You guys still want to listen to the guy who recommended Feely?
If the Dolphins get a Top-5 pick, I don't see them trading down very far unless they get a deal they can't refuse. We need to draft a top-tier OT or grab a can't miss QB or RB. No more John Avery's, Yatil Green's or Billy Milner's.
Personnaly, I think we should spend all of our picks on offensive line and that way we'd be sure to get at least two guys who know that their job is to keep gentlemen with different colored jerseys away from the gentlemen that have the same colored jerseys who possess the weird shaped brown thingy. :goof:
Horny........You wouldn't like me if I got horny........
Justa you beat me 2 it !!!! Ron Wolf is a good talent evaluator but he definately missed the boat on Feeley...
Also how in the world can anyone say Philly might be interested in Ricky ?
Have you seen Westbrook run? Since taking over for Duce, he's averged about 5 yds per carry...That offense is firing on all cylinders, bringing Ricky in makes no sense...
Once, after a blast of six or seven yards, Brown was the first to regain his feet. When he got back to the huddle he was blowing hard - but the inert figures of three Giants marked the trail where he had passed, like the breadcrumbs on the forest path of Hansel and Gretel. For mercurial speed, airy nimbleness and explosive violence in one package of undistilled evil, there is no other like Mr. Brown.
I think Surtain is the only one we should trade from the D. Madison is untradeable due to his contract, and Surtain is gonna be asking for a TON during or after next season. Anybody think we could get Philly's #1 for him before this year's trade deadline? Philly is a shut-down corner away from being better than New England. And if we had Philly's #1 it would be like getting our #2 back from them, only a little better. If McKenzie (from GB) is worth a #2 and a QB, Surtain is certainly worth a #1.
I would have to disagree with RW. This team has some spare parts way beyond their two CB's and their needs are not that numerous. Although they are at probably the most important positions on the team. Obviously a new coaching staff needs to be put in place. However, many things need to be determined this year that will be critical to the future of this team.
1)Can any of the young LB's be starters in this league.......I think it is a given that SEAU will be gone after this year, can BUA, POPE, or MOORE fill in. Also is Greenwood worth signing long term?
2) Can Y. Bell or can W Poole function as a third Safety/ Starter. They need to give Them some meaningful mins. If they can Freeman could become expendable and he is a spare part with some trade value. This assumes that we can resign Edwards, but without question this team is overloaded in the defensive backfield the way that it stands right now and there is some good value backtheir that can be traded for picks.
3) Draft priorities DT is probably the number one need on the team and I would expect the Fins to take one with one of their top two picks. DE is another high priority and I would not be surprised to to see a top 4 pick used on a DE. Depending on the losses in the DB I would think that a late round flyer would be used on a Saftey/ ST player.
1) OL Yes it is in shambles but the only real position of need is at OLT. The most important position on the team other than QB has been ignored by both JJ and Wanny. Almost all great teams have great highly drafted OLT's. It is time MIA spends ahigh first or second on a proven talented OLT. Number one offseaon priority. The rest of the OL falls into place IMO with as new OLT. I would look for Hadnot to compete at ORG and possibly consider moving J James to ORG and allowing W Smith and D Mcintosh to compete at OLG. Carey and St Clair will be fine at ORT.
2) MIA will have spare parts at WR as well assuming Boston and Newsom come back healthy from their injuries MIA is very deep at WR and I would not be surprised if they dont move either Boston or Booker for picks. Gilmore looks at if he is the perfect 4-5 WR on this team. Newsom looked the part of a 3-4 WR before he was hurt and then Chambers and either Booker or Boston ( Both of their contracts are cap freiendly so they can be traded) along with Thompson and or Wesley and the WR position has some trade bait.
3) I dont think that MIA will draft a RB high in the draft. I could see them bringing in a VET and trying to work them into the mix with Gordon, and Henry. Minor might stick @ from his ability on ST as much as anything. If E James becomes available I could see MIA making a play for him, but it should be done cautionsly and I would not overspend on a RB. They can be found. Low priority.
4) QB The team absolutely must find out what they have in Feeley and Sage this year. Feeley needs to start 8-10 games and Sage should play some meaningful mins as well. They both need to be given the opportunity to get into a comfort zone without the threat of Wanny's cautious nature hanging over them. Either way a proven vet/mentor should be brought in whether they draft a QB or not and the ties with Feidler obviously need to be cut for the 4th offseason in a row.
I would love to trade Booker perhaps even (and i hate to say this) surtain.
If we could get a 1st for Pat and and 2nd for Booker that would be outstanding. If so I would pick
I would also consider
If a killer QB was there at our pick. A DT can be found in FA or later in the draft as all we need is a bid body not one that gets in on the QB. Got JT for that
All great points, as usual.Originally Posted by DOC33
If you want to trim some salary from the defense, Junior Seau's $3+ million is a good place to start. I said it before the season began. They should have released Seau to make room to resign Ogunleye. Sammy Knight can be considered a spare part. Safety is not a difficult position to play, and the team has some young, cheap guys who could step in next season. As far as the linebackers go, Miami has themselves a future starting middle linebacker in Derrick Pope. I've been extremely impressed with him, and he stuck his head into the action more than any other linebacker that has had to replace Zach during the course of the game. I also feel Tony Bua can eventually be a starter at linebacker for Miami.
Cornerback is a different story. I've always stated that the core players should be kept, and I considered the core players Jason Taylor, Adewale Ogunleye, Patrick Surtain, and Sam Madison. I'm not changing my mind on that. I feel those four should have been kept together, because the most important positions for this defense are the DEs and CBs, with the DTs coming in very close behind those.
The offense is already in the rebuilding mode. You have to stick those young players out there and let them make mistakes. The only way they will learn to play in this league is to be allowed to make mistakes. This team has some young linemen in Seth McKinney, Rex Hadnot, Vernon Carey, Wade Smith, and Taylor Whitley. They have a guy I really like on the practice squad in Tony Pape. You have to give these guys an opportunity.
AJ Feeley should be playing quarterback with Sage Rosenfels as the #2. You have to find out what you have in these guys. Jay Fiedler should be demoted to third string, because he has no future with this team nor any other team, IMO.
You have two good tight ends in Randy McMichael and Donald Lee. Stick them out there and use some max protection sets to give AJ time to throw the ball.
I still think its amusing when I hear the word rebuild for this team. There is a heck of alot of talent on this team, and with the proper coaching we would be contenders. Get a new coaching staff, a #1 RB, 2 O-linemen, and let Feeley see what he can do. If he cant cut it then pick up a vet QB early in the year (FA). Trust me, with the right coaching and a few players, we will be hard to beat.
I hate the fact that everyone assumes Ricky won't play for the Dolphins again. I think with a new GM and DWand Jay gone, a couple of heart felt apologies to the players and fans from Ricky and a new OC, we would have a serious contending team. I don't want to draft a qb and wait for him to develope. A good LT and a good DT should be our priorities this off season, that is if we don't make the playoffs.
many of you have very valid thoughts on this teams players. trading surtain would help garner picks to add to the offense, also playing the younger guys to give them experience and to see if they can or can't be a player for us. but the thing is its not going to happen unless wanny is fired by mid season. here is why, he is still trying to save his job and if he trades away great players on defense for extra picks next year the team plays worse, or if he plays the young backups the team will probably play worse either way he looks worse because of it and stands a greater chance of being fired. now if he really does plan to go to u of pitt next year then he doesn't care about building for next year either and would rather stick with status quo and hope they can win a couple more games that way to make his last year not as bad.