Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brought back from the dead: what are political and personal opinions you hold?

1. -1
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!

Brought back from the dead: what are political and personal opinions you hold?

Quick note, I started this thread back in 2004, and with many of the people still posting here, I was curious as to if anybodies opinion on anything has changed. If it has please explain how it changed, and the why it changed. thanks guys! - WB3

I want to start a thread at a later date involving most (or all) of the normal political posters here. This future thread with basically be a fill in the blank type post where you post your opinions on world matters and what is important to you.

I think one of the biggest problems (and it is apparent in these last weeks leading up to the election, I too am guilty) is that posters here are more intent on promoting thier opinions, while bashing others, mostly based along party lines.

I wager that for everything the I agree with (in my own party) there is something else I don't, and in the end I think a post like this could really strengthen our respect for each other, and instead of turning things into a bash/smear/gotcha type thread we could actually have a conversation that gets both points accross without any "blood" being spilled.

I know some of you may prefer this type of debate/conversation, but I hope this works for the rest of us.

Subjects (Mine, and others)
    1. Abortion
    2. Censorship
    3. Death Penalty
    4. Drug control
    5. Environment
    6. Expansionism
    7. Gay Marriage
    8. Gun control
    9. Healthcare
    10. Isolationism
    11. Judicial appointments
    12. Patriot Act
    13. Religion/Church and State
    14. Tax Cuts
    15. Taxation
    16. Terrorism
    17. Trade
    18. War
    If anyone has more please post them, and with some help maybe we could get a sticky with the next step so that we can look up someone's stats (opinions) and have a more useful debate.

Thanks.

P.S. I don't want this thread to be used to smear others, please respect everyones opinions, and post your own, we have a whole forum for bashing each other, please don't do it in this thread.

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Scranton, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    THis sounds like aproductive thread so I hope you don't mind my input:

First, I'll let everybody know up front that I am an tend to be an anarchist. I belong to the Green Party because that's the party I feel that most closely holds my values. I actually used to be quite conservative, but after an extended illness (lung cancer) and being incapacitated for over a year had the time to read quite a bit. One day, I happened to go into B&N and pickup a book called "Understanding Power" by Noam Chomsky and was immediatly awestruck by his ideas. It was also very different from the other political books I read because of the depth of its scholarly research (Yes, I admit it I have some of O'reilly's books on my shelf). The concepts in Chomsky's book were very new to me and challenged many of my core beliefs, but after deliberating it honestly by myself I realized that Chomsky was pretty much right on and I couldn't easily dismiss him.

Abortion: I'm for it
    Gay Marriage: I'm for it
    Drug control: Treat drug offenders as people with a disease, not as criminals
    Healthcare: It needs to be nationalized
    Terrorism: For the most part, I feel that this is simply a justification for continuing the war economy.
    Isolationism: It has pluses and minuses. This is a broad concept and is hard to answer.
    Expansionism We don't lke other countries doing this, so we shouldn't stand for our country doing this.
    Environment We need to start controlling Greenhouse gases today
    War Rarely justified. I believe that the war on Iraq was just to ensure the the U.S. had easy access to oil. The overused cliche of military/industrial complex has grown far too powerful in this country.
    Patriot Act I believe it strips us of many of our Constitutional liberties.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    You sit on a throne of lies!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Southside Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Darn it Bill, why are you ruining the fun? If we do this, we surely can't act like demagogs. (demagogs is a perfectly acceptable variant of demagogues)

I'm in, but I'm embarking on perhaps the busiest 4 day span in my law school career: trial school boot camp. You probably won't see much of me until next week, and I may well end up having to do this then...

I've got so many lawyers lined up to see me, you'd think I had tobacco leaking out of my breast implants.
    - Jimmy James
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Abortion= For it with some controls...like parental notification.

Gay Marriage= Such a non issue....My opinion? Who cares.

Drug control= For legalizing Mary Jane......cracking down on hard drugs.

Healthcare= For a system similar to that of California...The Gov can buy drugs in bulk and thus lower prescription drug costs.

Terrorism= Kill them all....keep smashing them wherever they pop up....best defense is a good offense.

Isolationism= We cannot be disengaged from the rest of the world.

Expansionism= Economic expansionism is the savior of the third world...look at central america.

Environment= I'm a big conservationist.....not a eco-nut.

War= Clear objective with a down the line benefit....

Patriot Act= Good for the fight against Terrorists....May I suggest that everybody that is against it....read it......I do agree that it is not such a good thing for innocent Arab-Americans...in some respects.
    "We Dolphin fans here, if you don't like the Dolphins then **** ya, you don't know nutin' bout that, that is the way we are born here in the 305, if you don't like the Dolphins, then **** ya, simple as that." - Trick Daddy
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Abortion: Should be kept legal.
    Gay Marriage: Should be allowed.
    Drug control: Legalize some of it.
    Healthcare: Huge sums of money are wasted, lets change that.
    Terrorism: Vastly overrated as a threat for domestic political reasons.
    Isolationism: Against it.
    Expansionism: This isn't the 19th century.
    Environment: Keep it as clean as possible.
    War Rarely justified: War should only happen as solution of last resort.
    Patriot Act: A problem but not that big of a deal.
    Overtime: Most workers should be eligible for time and half pay after 40-hours.
    Minimum Wage: Should be raised.
    Corporate Crime/Welfare: Corporations should be carefully managed so they serve society and not the other way around.
    Tax Cuts: Should be rolled back on the upper class to help pay off enormous deficit.
    Trade: Trade should be managed to avoid dealing with third rate banana republics that produce goods using wage slave labor.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    You sit on a throne of lies!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Southside Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Abortion -- I think there are two issues here: the abortion issue itself and the federalism/right to privacy issue.

I think that in the absence of scientific proof of the start of human life, abortion should be allowed. I believe that there should be regulations that narrow down the circumstances in which the procedure is available from something like abortion on demand for all within the first month to either a prohibition with an exception for either the life or the physical health of the mother during the last month.

I'm not totally certain of where I stand on substantive due process, but I know enough to know that I don't like the way it was used as a handle to turn this into an issue ripe for federal regulation. I would suggest it only appropriate to turn the issue over to the states for regulation. That does mean that states would be able to ban abortion outright, but the political price for that sort of position would be immense.

Gay Marriage

This seems to be a pretty classic equal protection issue to me. I don't see how we can give two people who are of different sexes economic and contractual benefits in exchange for a mutual/exclusive promise and deny any two adults from doing the same thing and getting the same benefits.

Drug control

I believe that any drug should be available for use, but I believe that there is room for regulation. I don't think it's wrong to require that a doctor evaluate a person before allowing them to take a medicine, but I think that the decision should lie in the hands of the person seeking to take it. Note that this means a doctor would not exactly write prescriptions that would authorize the release of medicine -- he would write an advisory opinion as to what the person should take. This could include advising the patient to not take a certain drug but indicating that the patient has been fully briefed on the matter and may buy that drug.

I think there should be no outright illegal drugs, either. I think persons taking extreme drugs like heroin should be institutionalized and closely monitored because their lives are seriuosly in jeopardy.

Healthcare

I have serious problems with our current system, and I have serious problems with socialized medicine. I believe that importing prescription drugs from countries with price controls is not something that can realistically be done, and I think that anyone who believes otherwise is delusional. We support those low prices with our high prices, and as soon as the volume turns, it will lead to consequences we don't want to see. I don't think doctors, lawyers, or drug companies are evil. I just think they are self-interested and that we need to bring everybody to the table to create a system that leaves room for profit on all sides while controlling the excesses. This is an extremely tough problem, and we need to face it.

Terrorism

With all due respect to those who want us to examine the roots of terror, I suggest that we must make terrorism unacceptable. We need to force a settlement between Israel and the Palestinians. We need to continue being willing to fight terror, and we need to both attempt to make this a global issue while being unafraid to take on the fight by ourselves or without significant traditional allies like France when that is necessary. I consider what is going on with France to be evidence that we waited too long to take the steps that needed to be taken. We lost that round, and we need to find a way to do better the next time.

Isolationism

I think isolationism is folly, but I believe we shouldn't stand in the way of any nation that wants to practice that ideology so long as it does not interfere with our objectives in the terrorism realm.

Expansionism

I'm not entirely sure what is being asked here. I welcome Puerto Rico if they ever decide they would like to become a state. I don't want to invade Canada. If we're talking about economics, I believe it is a good thing overall that our economy is expanding into the economies of willing nations. My pre-law work experience was in the tech sector and in call center customer service, too. It hurts that in a literal sense, a job I had was actually shipped off to India. People are going to resent that, but those people aren't looking at the big picture.

Environment

I think that the irony of this issue is that the legislation that helped so much in times past is actually the same force that often impedes progress. I have a 1500+ text that is just a small part of our environmental regulations left over from my Environmental Law class. We need to start over if we really want to improve things here.

War

I believe that once we have exhausted other means of compliance with our will, war is an appropriate consideration. As 1227 says, we do need to have a clear objective, and there needs to be a benefit.

Patriot Act

I think that the Patriot Act is frankly a red herring. Congress cannot pass any law that violates our Constitutional rights, and the Patriot Act is no different.

I suggest these additional areas:

Gun control

I favor legitimate regulation on a state by state basis. If a state wants you to have a 20 hour class before buying a gun, that's fine with me. If they want to do a background check to determine you aren't a felon and aren't crazy, I'll give them a week to do it just as long as there is a safety clause for compelling cases that might require more immediate action. If the state suggests you need to show some cause to buy more than a gun a month, that's fine. If they want a psych evaluation before they allow for concealed carry, that seems reasonable to me.

I do believe that no regulations should substantially interfere with the motivated citizen obtaining a gun, and I do believe that concealed carry with appropriate places (like airports, schools, etc) excluded should also be allowed in all states, subject to apporpriate regulation.

Church and State

I am a religious person. I also realize that my ability to truly practice my religion in the way I see fit goes away if the government establishes a religion. I think it is appropriate to remove religion from public schools because children are impressionable and because people are or should be bound to the schools their children go to. You can't expect the Taoist couple with the 4th grader to sit through Rev. Right's prayer before the school play, and it just isn't fair to expect them to miss it because it is "optional".

I do believe we have a responsibility to allow religion into the public square, though. We should never take the sorts of steps that countries like France have taken to push religion strictly into the privacy of the home or place of religious worship. It's a tough balance to maintain, but I think we are actually doing pretty well with it.

Judicial appointments

I think we have a crisis brewing. The vacancy rate in our Circuit and District Courts is unacceptably high, and we are in a position where a death on the Supreme Court coupled with just the right issue could result in a Constituional crisis.

This problem began with Democrats. They got awfully upset at the number of appointments made by Nixon, Reagan, and Bush compared to the number by Carter (and since then even Clinton). To protest, they drew a line in the sand with Robert Bork. Bork's views are sincere, and there is no doubt he was qualified to sit on the Supreme Court. Like Scalia, he held a seat on the DC Circuit (the two were often on the same panel). The problem? Bork does not believe in substantive due process, the tenet upon which Roe v. Wade is built. I believe it was Sen. Biden who asked him in his confirmation hearing about the issue, and it was when Bork answered that he did not believe in substantive due process that the crisis began. Bork was not confirmed, and the war was on.

Things were bad enough due to this and the Thomas debacle, but Republicans got really angry after Clinton did what he did that led to impeachment. They stopped acting on his appointments. Their sin is less than that of the Democrats, but their contribution is still quite significant. The Democrats at least acted on nominations quickly. It is the combination of the ideology wars that confirmation hearings have become and the delays in even starting the hearings that have put us in crisis mode.

How do we get out?

- Ban litmus tests. A Justice has to rule on far too wide a range of issues for any one issue (even abortion) to control the confirmation

- Hold hearings in a timely basis and do not use the filibuster as a tactic

- Return to the practice of consulting the Senate about the nominees (advice) and in return the Senate should confirm anybody who is well qualified based on ABA rating

- Resume the practice of giving the ABA advance notice of the likely nominees so their rating will be ready sooner. I don't slam Bush for making this change because I can understand how this advance information probably was misused in such a politically heated climate. We're fixing that problem, though.

- Gain a little perspective on things. The Court gets everything right eventually. Losing "control" of it for a little while is not the end of the world. In fact, it's the natural order of things. We need periods like the 60s boom in criminal procedure followed by the gradual pull back from those standards before we really settle on the best way to handle an issue. This sort of "wave motion" approach should be embraced, and the Court should not be seen as belonging to one party or the other. Justices vote their sincere beliefs, not along party lines. Earl Warren and Antonin Scalia were both Republican appointments, but you could hardly find two different men in terms of their beliefs.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pahokee FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Abortion: Against it

Gay Marriage: Against it

Healthcare: Needs to improved but not nationalized

Terrorism: Should be totally done away with in forceful manner.

Environment: Regulations but not a tree hugger.

War: We should be there

Patriot Act: Like some it, not all of it.

I am what you guys would call an evangelical christian who believes that Jesus Christ is the Savior and the Bible is the completed Word of God. I believe that Christ is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Him.
    For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    On an island
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Abortion

Should be legal, the way it is now is fine

Gay Marriage

Should be legal

Drug control

Drugs should be legal. If someone wants to harm their own body, they should be allowed to. However, if they aren't going to be legal, drug offenders should not get prison time. Instead, they should go to rehab.

Healthcare

National healthcare can't work. If it could, I would love to see it, but it just can't. Something should be done about the high insurance costs though if possible.

Terrorism

I'm for fighting the terrorists. Terrorism is a threat.

Isolationism

America is not the only country in the world. We need to work with other nations. I'm not saying that they should decide our actions, but I think we need to have better relations with other countries.

Expansionism

We shouldn't expand our country. We should stick to having the same 50 states we have now unless Guam, Puerto Rico, or the US Virgin Islands want in. Besides that, however, we need to stick with the land we have and not get anymore.

Environment

The environment is important. I'm pretty much in the middle on this subject. We need to not ruin it, but at the same time I am not a tree hugger.

War

Sometimes good, sometimes bad.

Patriot Act

Always bad. This act is a violation of civil rights.

Other issues that I'll add:

Censorship

I'm 100% against this. If someone wants to say what they want, they should be allowed to. The FCC restricts free speech.

Gun control

There should be backround checks before you can buy one. Also, unlike Dick Cheney, I think guns that can get through medal detectors should be illegal.

Religion

Religion should have no role in our government. People should be allowed to express their religion, but I'm against teaching religion in schools and giving religion a role in our laws.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Abortion

Legal up to the point of viability. That figure will surely continue to roll back as our science improves. In cases where the mothers life is in danger, the mothers life is paramount. But PBA's have NEVER been used to save a womans life.

Gay Marriage

"Marriage" has no place in law, it is a religious term. Make all legal unions "Civil Unions". If two consenting adults want to enter a Civil Union, feel free. If they can get a church to call it marriage, knock yourself out.

Drug control

Legalize pot, decriminalize the USE of everything else. Treat it as a disease and you eliminate the crowding problem we have in our prisons as well as put a stop to the transformation of non-violent drug users into violent criminals. Those who sell hard drugs...I have no problem with the death penalty for major dealers.

Healthcare

Socialized medecine is a wonderful idea...that has never worked in a population our size. We need massive reforms in the administration, laws, and monitoring of our healthcare system however. Eliminate the waste, along with reasonable caps on lawsuits(tied to the insurance industry having set permiums), and we could afford universal healthcare for children and the elderly while keeping costs down for adults.

Terrorism

We are at war. It's an infinitely more dangerous war than anything short of full nuclear conflict. It deserves to be treated as such.

Isolationism

Slow suicide.

Expansionism

So long as it is peaceful. There's a reason people come here...they want a chance to live in our world. Better if they make our world where they live.

Environment

A top priority, but things need to be rational. If you tank the economy to save the environment, the repurcussions will result in worse damage to the environment than if you had never acted. If you force people to choose between food and clean air, clean air will lose .

War

Always bad, always a mistake, always stupid. And sometimes it's the only choice left. But if you must wage war, wage it 110%.

Patriot Act

Needs some tweaking, but overall good legistlation.

Censorship

Government-only under the most dire needs of national security. Private-a company has the right to dictate what it's employees can do while on company time. On their own time, only if the employee somehow reflects on the company...such as a spokesperson.

Gun control

Enforce the laws we have now before writing new ones. Make the punishment for unregistered guns a REAL deterent.

Religion

Freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion. If you are going to prevent someone from doing something, you need to show harm. The 10 Commandments in a courthouse do no harm. By the same token, if your only basis for a law is religious, that law has no place in our society.

Taxation

It's my money. If you are going to take it, it had better be for a good reason. And it had better be for something the people can't do better for themselves.

Death Penalty

Needs adjustment, but in principle, all for it.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    I'll copy Neo and post a little about myself.
    I am the Son of a 101st Airborne Combat Eng, my family has a long history of military service. We have served in every major branch, and have produced both officers and enlisted. My Grandfather was a bellygunner on a flying fortress who spent 6 months in a German POW Camp, for which he earned the purple heart.

I was the first Marine in my family, I was raised with a strong christian belief that was earned, not taught. I served Five years in the Signals intel field, which took me from the east coast to the west coast, to Japan, and back to the west. I got out as a sargeant, and then I became a correctional officer. As a CO, I worked everywhere in the Maximum Security State prision, to include the Seg unit and Death row.

I currently work as security at a hospital, where I get to view the health care system up close.

Abortion - I think it should be legal during first tri-mester in Rape cases and when a mother is in danger. The Rape cases should only be legal if they went to a emergency room and completed a rape kit.
    Censorship - okay, while I like porn and believe in freedom of speech, there is a time and place for everything, if that mean 9:00pm -5am for certain things, then so be it, but it is up to us to protect innocence where we can.
    Death Penalty - I am for it, in fact in some cases millions of dollars are being wasted on the obviously guilty in appeals and such. These inmates are also being showed favoritism over other inmates.
    Drug control - make M.J. Legal, and stiffer controls on other drugs. You do realize that a pot smoker may actually serve more time than a rapest don't you? I have seen it happen.
    Environment - National parks should be preserved, but also with advances in tech, and logging methods, it is possible to do things in a better way. As for Oil in alaska, If we were going by methods of 25 years ago then no, I wouldn't be for it, but again with advances in tech, we can do it safely with little damage to the frozen wildlife up there.
    Expansionism - I really don't have a view on this, but for economics sake we are either growing or we are shrinking, and one means money and the other means recession.
    Gay Marriage - I don't care if Gays get married, but I do feel that they shouldn't get the other rights that a man and woman get.
    Gun control - If a person can afford it why shouldn't they get it? as with everything there is a proper way to use something, I think they weapons should be limited to target ranges, and not just to shoot up wildlife.
    Healthcare - If you really want to fix healthcare, work a ER for a month straight, then cross reference repeat customers, who have state provided insurance, and find out what kind of treatment they recieved. Then ask yourself, did they really need to go to the doctor x number of times for narcotics? When you tell someone that if they go to a doctors office they have a co-pay and when they go to the ER they don't... well ERs get crowed fast and the ones who need the help the most get lost in the numbers game, something is wrong here.
    Isolationism - in no way do I think we should close ourselves off to the world, but I do think we need to freeze incoming people. Tourists should still be allowed in, but no one else. Keep what we have, and stop more.
    Judicial appointments - we should vote on them.
    Patriot Act - as long as it doesn't affect american citizens I am for it.
    Religion/Church and State - does it really hurt anyone to stand and not say words?
    Tax Cuts - give me money, take the rich money, isn't fair is it? well maybe the rich can afford to give more?
    Terrorism - 911 proved that the way we viewed terrorism had to change forever, no longer could we wait for them to come to us. If a robber is in your house it is already too late, you should've stopped him in your yard.
    Trade - Uh? Keep it?
    War - sometimes the only right thing to do is the wrong thing to do.
    Quote Quote