Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Report Links Offshoring of U.S. Jobs to Bush Policies

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Scranton, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks

New Report Links Offshoring of U.S. Jobs to Bush Policies

Here's one way the Bush/Cheney junta is lowering the standard of living for many Americans.

New Report Links Offshoring of U.S. Jobs to Bush Policies and Bush Campaign Contributors

At Least 53,000 Jobs Shipped Offshore by 29 Companies That Provided 23 Rangers and Pioneers and Gave $19.1 Million to Bush and the Republican National Committee

WASHINGTON -- October 29 -- A new Public Citizen report on the offshoring of U.S. jobs by major companies from the finance, computer and telecommunications sectors has found that the companies exported tens of thousands of jobs and benefited from a cozy relationship with President Bush. The president supported numerous pro-offshoring policies as the companies provided major financial support to his campaigns.

The report estimates that the 29 leading offshoring companies in the three skilled, white-collar sectors exported at least 53,000 jobs since 2000. Job losses are almost certainly much higher because the companies resist disclosing such information, and no federal or state reporting requirements exist for jobs sent offshore.

Public Citizen also found that executives, board members and employees of the 29 companies have been major contributors to Bush's presidential campaigns. Twenty-three Rangers and Pioneers from the three industry sectors bundled together a minimum of $3.5 million to assist Bush in the 2000 and 2004 campaigns. Rangers and Pioneers are the honorary titles given by the Bush campaign to fundraisers who bundle at least $200,000 or $100,000, respectively, in maximum $2,000 contributions.

The same 29 companies and their employees have given a total of at least $19.1 million in campaign contributions to Bush and the Republican National Committee since the 2000 election cycle, with an average of $657,000 per company contributed to benefit Bush.

The report documents numerous actions the Bush administration has taken to promote the offshoring of jobs or actions that it failed to take to stem the flow of jobs abroad. These include Bush's opposition to adding anti-offshoring provisions to government procurement contracts, encouraging companies to create jobs overseas by supporting the deferral of taxes on overseas profits, and ignoring the threat that offshoring poses to consumer privacy protections for medical and financial information.

More...
    Source:

Common Dreams
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    You sit on a throne of lies!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Southside Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Neo is just making me work to find a story somewhat relevent to his topic.

This will have to do

The number of new undergraduate majors in U.S. computer science programs has fallen 28 percent since 2000. One reason, say those in the field, is that technology jobs appear less lucrative than they did during the dot-com boom. When the tech bubble burst, the promise of fast money evaporated.

Offshoring, always an option for companies, could become a necessity.

IBM (NYSE: IBM) , Dell (Nasdaq: DELL) and other high-tech corporations have come under fire in recent years for shifting jobs overseas. They say it helps them cut costs and be closer to customers in growing markets such as India and China.

Soon, they might have a more urgent reason. U.S. universities are producing fewer graduates in computer science, the foundation of many technology jobs. It's an alarming trend to some in the industry, one that they say could force companies to look offshore to meet demand.

"Especially if the quality goes down, companies will feel they're better off going to other countries," said Pankaj K. Agarwal, chairman of the computer science department at Duke University . "We cannot afford that."

Dropping Enrollment

The number of new undergraduate majors in U.S. computer science programs has fallen 28 percent since 2000, reports the Computing Research Association, a group of more than 200 North American computer science, computer engineering and related academic departments.

I've got so many lawyers lined up to see me, you'd think I had tobacco leaking out of my breast implants.
    - Jimmy James
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote  

4. -4

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Southside Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The Sacramento Bee isn't nearly slanted enough for my purposes, but that's a nice link, Bill.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3
    Offshoring or outsourcing can be theoretically beneficial. However, this is not always the case. It depends on what other economic forces are at work. In the US, it appears to be lowering wages for the bottom half of the people while raising them for the top half. Those at the very top have benefited the most.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I guess nobody here cares that more jobs have been IN sourced to America than have been OUT sourced? Guess what happens when you start imposing penalities for our businesses to move some jobs overseas...other countries start doing the same thing. But I shouldn't be surprised that Neo would be willing to cut off America's nose to spite it's face.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    You know JJ, you really can learn a lot from a dummy. For example, pick a subject, then pick a side, after you have those two things, google it... then post the link that supports your "idea". Sounds easy doesn't it? I could get used to doing that for everything, then I would've have to really debate anything, since my "LINK" would talk for me.

Oh, and if I wanted to get really complicated with it, I could start with a central theme... say, Blame John Kerry for vietnam, then I could google that and other things mixed in and I would probably get "john kerry sells soul for shot at president... bullets only cost pennys anyway"
    Quote Quote  

8. -8

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Southside Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Bill,

That's a *crazy* idea, I tell you. Who would do such a thing?
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinPhan1227
    I guess nobody here cares that more jobs have been IN sourced to America than have been OUT sourced? Guess what happens when you start imposing penalities for our businesses to move some jobs overseas...other countries start doing the same thing. But I shouldn't be surprised that Neo would be willing to cut off America's nose to spite it's face.
    It will be interesting to follow these trends in future years to say the least. How many jobs will be outsourced to low cost markets in the next decade? Neither political party has offered a solution to this. What will happen is that the inequality charts will only continue to get worse.

http://www.inequality.org/facts.html
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuna Squad
    It will be interesting to follow these trends in future years to say the least. How many jobs will be outsourced to low cost markets in the next decade? Neither political party has offered a solution to this. What will happen is that the inequality charts will only continue to get worse.

http://www.inequality.org/facts.html

Avoiding the issue? More jobs have moved into the US than out of it. And since nobody is going to come to America for cheap labor, that means we have come out on top of the deal.
    Quote Quote