Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The GM Challenge – Run Miami’s Day 1 Draft Board

1. -1
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Columbia, SC
    Thanks / No Thanks

The GM Challenge – Run Miami’s Day 1 Draft Board

Last year, the Chargers traded their 1st round pick (No.1 overall) to the Giants and received the Giants 1st (No.4 overall) and 3rd round (No.65 overall) picks and a 1st and 5th in next years draft. I’m going to do the same thing and when I’m finished, my first day picks will look as follows:

This year - 1st (Pick #4), from the trade
    This year – 3rd (Pick #64), our original 3rd rounder
    This year - 3rd (Pick # 65), from the trade
    Next year - 1st and 5th

Last year, Detroit traded its 1st round pick (No. 6) to Cleveland for the Browns' 1st and 2nd-round picks (Nos. 7 and 37). Again, I’m going to do something as close to this as possible so that I can pick up a 2nd rounder. Here’s what my first day selections look like now.

This year - 1st (Pick #7)
    This year - 2nd (Pick # 37)
    This year – 3rd (Pick # 64), our original 3rd rounder
    This year – 3rd (Pick # 65)
    Next year – 1st and 5th

Now, I’m ready to raise some h3ll!

1st Pick, #37 overall, DT - Anttaj Hawthorne or Rodrique Wright, DT

Announcer: In the 1st Round with the #7 pick in the draft, the Miami Dolphins select Anttaj Hawthorne (or Rodrique Wright), Defensive Tackle.

Who else hates playing the Jets in the Meadowlands on Monday night? I know Curtis Martin and Lamont Jordan are tired ‘cause they’ve been running through my mind all week! Time for a change.

2nd Pick, #37 overall, LT - Michael Munoz or Chris Colmer

Announcer: In the 2nd Round with the 37th pick in the draft, the Miami Dolphins select Michael Munoz (or Chris Colmer), Left Tackle.

What do Wade Smith and Damien McIntosh have in common? If you answered that one correctly, I’m sure that you agree that we absolutely need a new left tackle.

3rd Pick, #64 overall, RB - DeAngelo Williams, Cedric Houston, or Kay Jay Harris

Announcer: In the 3rd Round with the 64th pick in the draft, the Miami Dolphins select DeAngelo Williams (or Cedric Houston or Kay Jay Harris), Running Back

Lamar Gordon, Sammy Morris, and Travis Minor are excellent #2 guys but starters they are not. Although Houston is a bit of a hypochondriac and Kay Jay Harris hasn’t had the monster year that everyone predicted, both are extremely talented with a lot more upside than anything we currently have on our roster. If Williams enters the draft and he’s available here, he’s my pick though.

WR - Airese Currie, Fred Gibson, or Jason Anderson

Announcer: In the 3rd Round with the 65th pick in the draft, the Miami Dolphins select Airese Currie (or Fred Gibson or Jason Anderson), Wide Receiver

Now here’s a golden opportunity for us to turn a position that hasn’t scared anyone for years into an absolute beast! Gibson and Anderson remind me of Brett Favre’s new favorite receiver: Javon Walker. Currie, on the other hand, is smaller speed guy like Laveranues Coles or Santana Moss. Either way, we could use this pick to make this position stand out.

Well fin fans there you have it. I got us extra 2nd and 3rd round picks this year and an additional 1st and 5th next year. Plus, I’m trying to dump ole Slick Rick Williams and get something out of him too. It's a hard sell, but you never know.

If you were the GM, how would you handle Day 1?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Illinois
    Thanks / No Thanks
    ummm.....Fire you!

She wants me
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Illinois
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think you have to address the O-Line which you didn't....and with that 1st rounder, if there is a franchise type QB available such as Rodgers or Leinhart then you have to take them or trade down a little. I would prefer to get Rodgers, then address the line. No way do we draft a WR!
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    #1 Dolphins fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yeah, and no way we draft a DT with our #7 overall pick, regardless of how bad our run defense is this year. OFFENSE PLEASE!!!
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    S.Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Seems to me everyone would be happy if we just give everyone away on the D side of the ball for nothing and draft nothing but offense. Well I guess having a great D all these years has done the to these spoiled fans as Dan did when he was here. You people.... do you watch football or do you watch just O side of the ball? We need some help on D people I might not spend the first pick on DT, but we need help there. If you people ever want to see a SB you better hope and pray we spend some picks on the D side of the ball.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    We'll Miss You Nubs

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando,Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If Im the GM I trade down with SD for the 2 first round picks that they have(both look to be in the 20's) This is dependant on FA if we address the LT position there with either Jones or Samuels. If we do my first pick is Elton Brown G UVA, with the second pick I am taking Ronnie Brown RB Auburn. Now Im going to make a move that alot will not like, but I think is necessary. I would trade Surtain for a 1st or a 2nd and a 3rd. Also swing Ricky for a 3rd this year and a conditional pick next year. So we now have a second and 3 3rds. I wont use players but positions. With these 4 picks we need to address DT, C, G, and a QB(most likely Fiedler and Sage are gone) so we have 2 holes on the roster there.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    First Round-Trade Down but stay in the top 10(pick up a 2nd rounder for doing so). With the first pick, get Rodgers or the best o-lineman available. We should try to get a RB in free agency, and I would not take a WR in this round.
    Second Round-Address DT. We hate to do it, because we want the sexy pick, but we are getting gashed on our run defense, and having Chester back after a year out on injury will not suffice.
    Third Round-We have addressed QB and RB and DT. Now we must look at solid depth or surprise starter. We could look at WR or Safety. To be honest, we could even look at LB. I think Moore blows, Bua is far to small to play LB full time, and Greenwood is marginal, at best. Pope may step in, and I think Seau is done. Lots of questions here unfortunately. We may have to look at the best player available, hopefully WR or LB.
    Fourth Round-If we haven't already, we should look at bringing in a Safety. Usually there are good ones available in the late 2nd round and/or 3rd round, but we had other holes to fill. If we can't get a good one, look at OL again. We still need a guard and a center. If we can't get a RB in free agency, then we damn well better have gotten a OL (ie. Jones, Samuel, Pace-doubt it, but you never now). If this is the case, then we could look at a lot of areas. We need help everywhere except CB. Sad but true.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Columbia, SC
    Thanks / No Thanks

This Team is So Ragged . . .

We could draft a left tackle, a quarterback, a running back, or a defensive tackle in the first round, and it would be hard to argue any of those moves. Still, I feel like DT is the spot hurting the most . . . literally. Bowens is done and Chester will be coming back from major knee surgery. If we don't fix this spot, it won't matter who's on the other side of the ball. If you win by running the football and stopping the run, then the positions that need to be addressed first are running back and defensive tackle. Since quality DTs are much harder to find, it makes sense to go there first.

Someone mentioned drafting a QB. Cool. Now what do we do with Feely? Cut him, carry the "dead money" on the books, and waste the 2nd rounder we gave up for him too? Man that's expensive! Should we keep him and have his backup QB be a rookie QB fresh out of college? Nah, I think we should watch the waiver wire and not let the next Warner or Garcia pass us by again! Then we could let Feely continue the learning process.

I wouldn't mind an OT in the first round but who do we cut then? McIntosh just got a huge contract and cutting him would seriously hurt the salary cap. Wade Smith? As bad as he's been, he's still just a 2nd year guy who may still get better with more time in the weight room and film room. Carey? St. Clair? Draft an LT and one of those guys have to go and we probably won't get anything for him except for younger and less experienced.

Someone said, "no way we draft a receiver." Why not?! Sure Chambers and Booker are good, but do you really want to go into another season depending on either David Boston or Derrius Thompson as our 3rd receiver? Boston is coming off of knee surgery (an injury that usually takes 2 years to heal completely) and he's a bit of a headcase too. If he comes back and turns out to be all that we had hoped, great. Look at Tom Brady's receivers: Givens, Johnson, Brown, Patton, and Branch! Plus they have two tightends (Graham and Fauria) that catch the ball. Why should we feel be happy just because our starting receivers are good. We need a third and fourth receiver!

Fellow fin fans, Wanny's put us in a hole so deep that it's gonna take more than one offseason to fix. We need a QB, LT, DT, and RB! With Seau's career in jeopardy and Zach getting up in age, some might argue that we need a LB too! Imagine what this unit might look like if Zach got hurt and Jr. doesn't make it back from his injury. Scary! I'm afraid the only way to rebuild this team is to trade down and acquire as many day one picks as possible. Jimmy made it work in Dallas and the Patriots make it work every year! I don't even have to look and I know they have more than three picks on day one this upcoming draft.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Que ti pica?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1st Round QB,
    and if we do trade are 1st for 2 1st rounds then we get QB (Rodgers) and LB such as Derrick Johnson or another TOP LB.

DT and O-Line we address on FA. Walter Jones from Sea and Shawn Rodgers from DET would be awsome but i doubt we can afford both of them.

By the way any news with Ricky? :goof:

And no we do not cut AJ he'll be the starter and the QB we draft will learn from him. If AJ gets injured or doesn't step up, the rookie will take over his place.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, FL/Lake Mary, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We gotta take Alex Barron if we pick anywhere from 4-8.
    Quote Quote