Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much of a Joke is the Big East?

1. -1
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Coral Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks

How much of a Joke is the Big East?

Or "The Big Least" I like to call them. Their football ability is at about the same level as the MAC, WAC, C-USA, and MWC. They are not the BigTen, Pac10 (that conference is lousy but nowhere near as bad as the Big Least), Big12, SEC, and ACC....ok I'm gonna cut to the chase here....

Right now the only two teams with a chance of representing the Big East in their Automatic Bid is Syracuse and Pittsburgh. West Virginia and Boston College lose on various tie-breakers. The sad thing is that they are better than both teams that are left.

Syracuse is 6-5 overall, 4-2 in the Big Least
    Wins - Buffalo (bottom-feeder), Cincinnati (you saw what happened to them last week), Rutgers, Connecticut (no, they arent UConn, they havent earned that name yet in football), Pittsburgh, and Boston College
    Losses - Purdue (51-0), Virginia, Florida State (did play them tough), West Virginia, and TEMPLE!!!! TEMPLE FOR GOD SAKES, a TEAM SO BAD THAT THEY ARE GETTING KICKED OUT OF THE BIG LEAST!

For Pittsburgh, its almost just as comical, because they have a much better record than Syracuse, but maintain the same record in conference

Pittsburgh (7-3, 4-2 in Big Least)
    Wins - Ohio, Furman (They were dominated by D-II Furman nearly the whole game, but needed Overtime to finish off a comeback against the Ingle Martin led Paladins...pulled off a squeaker 41-38), Temple, Boston College, Rutgers, Notre Dame, West Virginia
    Losses - Nebraska, Connecticut, Syracuse
    One game still ahead for the Panthers as they go to Tampa to face the USF Bulls, which are far from a powerhouse....

Someone tell me why either of these teams deserves an autobid? All you homeristic fans of these teams, there is no way you can spin it to your favor, you conference sucks...theres no ifs, ands, or buts about it...

Here are some teams that are probably better than Pitt and Syracuse...

Utah (at least they get in for right now, but they still might be left out of the computers punk out on them), the loser of the Va Tech/Miami game (both are better), LSU, Meeechigan, Iowa, Tennessee, Virginia, FSU, Wisconsin, Texas A&M, Texas, Oklahoma State, Florida, and it goes on and on...

Mid-Majors that are probably better that arent mentioned before are Miami (O), Northern Illinois, and Bowling Green from the MAC

While Boise State has an impressive win streak, they nearly lost to San Jose State, so they dont have my vote....

Lousiville is going to be the top football team next year when they and Cincinnati move into the big Least, and Loserville isnt known for fielding teams as good as these year in and year out...

Who wants to start a petition to yank the big Least's automatic bid?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    On an island
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I hope Utah gets to play a team from the Big East in the BCS so they can dominate them and prove that the Big East doesn't deserve a BCS spot. The Big East is a sad excuse for a conference. Both Utah and Louisville would easily win the conference. Louisville would be undefeated if they didn't lose a very close game at Miami. They are really good.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Matagascar
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Their football ability is at about the same level as the MAC, WAC, C-USA, and MWC.
    C'mon, Terry, that's disrespectful to the MAC, WAC, C-USA, and MWC.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Ephemeral

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yeah......

Haha, but its ok. I wouldn't expect anyone to respect these smaller conferences just yet. Maybe if the BCS doesn't punk out and gets Utah a bid, then people will stop overlooking the Mid-majors so much. There are some damn good teams in these conferences, but they don't get respect because the BCS sucks......
    Coin toss at the Emerald Bowl......
    _
    "Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that..." ~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
    _
    "Seek to understand before you seek to be understood..."
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I hope MikeO is reading.
    "I think we all feel that way about our mothers, and we all have legs."

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I couldnt tell you. Syracuse is HORRIBLE. Im forced to watch that crap called Syracuse football. The only playmaker on that team is Walter Rhyes(sp). Everybody else should go back to highschool for another year of two.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rawlins Wyoming
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well hopefully My Wyoming Cowboys get them (Syracuse that is) in the Vegas Bowl and whips em and then the BCS gets smart and adds the Mountain West and drops the Big East.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    You sit on a throne of lies!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Southside Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think it's really easy to kick the Big East in the year that Virginia Tech and Miami fled to some bastard basketball conference that wants to pretend it can play football at a high level. Wait until you see the new Big East before you make a decision on them. As a WVU fan when I'm not an Alabama fan, I admit that I worry the Big East won't deserve the autobid even once the new teams get here. It will hopefully be a closer call, though.

If you want to talk about a pathetic conference, let's talk about one that is going to have all of three decent football teams a year and will have its members capitalizing on beating the likes of Duke and North Carolina to pump up its reputation. As you mentioned, the Big East has the decency to kick Temple out instead of rolling up on them again and again since it's obvious they aren't even trying.

Meanwhile, we have a SEC team getting scewed by the limitations of the BCS system again this year. Last year, it was one poll not rewarding LSU for their championship game win. This year, it will be Auburn not making it into the championship game. I admit a little bit of happiness to see misfortune befall the hated Tigers, but it scares me to think a team can make it through a season in the best and toughest conference in college football and be judged #3 behind Pac 10 and Big 12 teams...

I've got so many lawyers lined up to see me, you'd think I had tobacco leaking out of my breast implants.
    - Jimmy James
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Keyser Soze

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Winter Springs, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy James
    If you want to talk about a pathetic conference, let's talk about one that is going to have all of three decent football teams a year and will have its members capitalizing on beating the likes of Duke and North Carolina to pump up its reputation.
    Georgia Tech just gave Georgia all it could handle at home. So the mid-level ACC team is not that far off. Outside of them you left out Virginia, Clemson, and Maryland.
    (by the way, UNC is in a bowl game)

and then....3 DECENT teams?

The BCS has been in place since 1998 and last year was the first time one of those teams didn't get in.

FSU - 3 times
    UM - 2 times
    VT - once
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    You sit on a throne of lies!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Southside Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yeah, I saw all the ACC paper tigers. Georgia Tech gave UGA all it could handle, and that was 1 TD and 2 FG? :roflmao:

Virginia folded like a cheap tent (nothing gives this Richmonder as much pleasure as the pain of a Wahoo), and Maryland did as well.

As to UNC getting a bowl game...wow, they get to go all the way to Charlotte. I hate to root for Boston College, but I'm going to make an exception. I'd love nothing more than to see the Big East and the SEC sweep the ACC this bowl season....
    Quote Quote