Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Gay marriage amendment proponents lose momentum

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Gay marriage amendment proponents lose momentum

Opponents of gay marriage concede victory will not be swift in their attempt to amend the U.S. Constitution, even after prevailing in all 11 states where the issue was on the ballot last month.

While the November 2 election also increased the ranks of amendment supporters in both houses of Congress, the gains were relatively small.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/....ap/index.html
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It should be a state decision, our constitution wasnt meant for these kind of issues. Anyone who seriously opposes Gay marriage this much should have their head checked out.
    "As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand."
    Henry Wheeler Shaw
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spydertl79
    It should be a state decision, our constitution wasnt meant for these kind of issues.
    Woo hoo! So I'm not the only who understands "states' rights"!!!

Here's the problem though.... a couple gets married in Massachusetts were it is legal then one partner gets transfered to Missouri, where it's not legal. Is the couple suddenly "unmarried"? Are they 'grandfathered' in and allowed benefits that are against Missouri law because they were married legally in Massachusetts? Or are they forced to quit the job that is trying to transfer them out of Massachusetts.

The only purpose of a constitutional admendment would be to bring some uniformity to this issue.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ??? to win
    Woo hoo! So I'm not the only who understands "states' rights"!!!

Here's the problem though.... a couple gets married in Massachusetts were it is legal then one partner gets transfered to Missouri, where it's not legal. Is the couple suddenly "unmarried"? Are they 'grandfathered' in and allowed benefits that are against Missouri law because they were married legally in Massachusetts? Or are they forced to quit the job that is trying to transfer them out of Massachusetts.

The only purpose of a constitutional admendment would be to bring some uniformity to this issue.

If Missouri wants to allow 14 years olds to drive, does that mean that Florida has to honor that drivers license? Legally no state is bound to honor that marriage. Bu tthe problem is, "Equal Protection" makes it difficult for any state to have a valid law against gay marriage.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It is a states rights issue, but I think it will get kicked to the federal level through law suits and such. I see conflict among the states. Here is what the constitution says ragarding this.

U.S. Constitution - Article 4 Section 1
    Article 4 - The States
    Section 1 - Each State to Honor all others
    Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

I don't see how this won't go to the Feds.

Players come and go, but I will always be a Miami Dolphins Fan first and foremost.

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Reach for the Stars

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinPhan1227
    If Missouri wants to allow 14 years olds to drive, does that mean that Florida has to honor that drivers license? Legally no state is bound to honor that marriage. Bu tthe problem is, "Equal Protection" makes it difficult for any state to have a valid law against gay marriage.
    Equal protection doesn't invalidate a "State's Right", i.e., Nevada allows prostitution, but other states don't, so a prostitute from Nevada can't legally go to AL. and perform the same job without it being a criminal act. This type of case, gay marriage, will have to go to the federal level in order to be resolved.
    Quote Quote