Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Everyone Read THIS. (EDIT: CLEANED)

1. -21
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    N.Y.C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    my wife and i will be going to a local mosque to donate some things. this is the worst catastrophe in history. Our prayers go out to all affected.

Crunch.. a prayer will be said for your cousin. best of luck
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta, from New Orleans
    Thanks / No Thanks
    For those that donate..

Please make it cash because the cost of delivering donated goods to that area is cost prohibitive.

It's much cheaper for a relief agency to purchase truck loads of the proper foods that the people in that region would actually eat.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sorry to hear that Crunch. It just shows us how devastating it can be for one person, let alone the families of hundreds of thousands. I'm going to donate in a few days when I get some more money..

Mods should stick this too.

Is it 3am yet?
    Quote Quote  

4. -24

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That's awful Crunch. My thoughts are with your family and everyone involved in this terrible tragedy. This is truly horrible.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Screw You Guys..Im Goin Home!!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Crunch my condoloscense go out to you and your family. Hopefully they find her. Keep us updated and good luck.

2007 Gold Cup Champions...

United States
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thephins.com
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I had 50$ from christmas i was goning to use it and but a Game but i donated it...Its for a good cause...Also i got my dad to donate 50$...
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CanePhin22
    Absolutely. I've already given to The Red Cross and all those affected are already in my Prayers. God BLess.

P.S.- Here is a link to rather graphic photo that might help put this in perspective for some of you. Caution, viewer discretion is advised.

http://homepage.mac.com/jlgolson/ruumiita4ft.jpg
    Oh man. I thought it was just a damage pic...scrolled down...goddamn. That stuff is what keeps you up at night. Horrible.
    New sig coming soon!
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Don't act like you're not impressed....

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville/Melbourne, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinz4Life
    Oh man. I thought it was just a damage pic...scrolled down...goddamn. That stuff is what keeps you up at night. Horrible.
    I know....I thought the FL hurricanes this year were bad, but this just puts everything into perspective. My prayers go out to everyone affected by this disaster, and if i had anything more than pocket change, it'd go straight to the relief effort.
    PARTNERSHIP FOR A BUFFALO BILLS- FREE AMERICA

Look out, SEC...he's comin...
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryTate
    I'm not gonna name names, but like I said before, there are times when it is not particularly a good idea to joke about things like this.

My best friend brought up a good point tonight. Society (the USA in particular) sees the world in three perspectives.

1) The society and people directly around them (family, town, state, etc)
    2) REALITY TV, infotainment - Crap on the news, reality TV that isnt really reality
    3) Real world news

The sad part about perspective #3 is that most people dont take things like this to heart. If a catastrophe happens halfway around world, no one seems to care because they are selfish. A lot of people don't care about this latest disaster, even though it already looks to be the most deadly natural disaster in recorded history.

A lot of people used the american casualties of the iraq war as a platform for election policy, and then when the election was over, people stopped caring for the troops that were dying abroad. How horrible is that? (I'm not trying to turn this into a political thread, so lets just leave it at that)

I guess my point is, people need to stop being selfish. I have paid attention to the south asia crisis more closely than the average citizen, and I will admit, ive welled up a few times after seeing some images.

One of the biggest regrets i have is when I was 8 years old and Hurricane Andrew hit. My mom asked me to come help pass out relief supplies and I declined. I wish i did that, just so I would have a teeeeeny tiiiny idea of what first-hand destruction is like. Me going through a category 2 eye of a hurricane this past year doesnt compare, any other hurricane doesnt compare, but I just wanted to see how lucky I really am.

Sorry, that was my public service announcement.
    i completely agree with you on the fact that america is taught, starting with dependency on american media, then american education and henceforth from both, isolation from the rest of the world. we are a country whose majority speaks one language. so on this isolation of of the american people i agree that this isolation is nurtured from day one.

my original point had nothing to do with what i feel about the misfortune suffered by the people who were afflicted with the natural disaster.
    it raised a question and pointed out something very true. the tragedy just happened to be the subject that was being talked about.
    you may or may not disagree, but many times there are threads moved to political or somewhere else, wherever is deemed fit when it HAS to do with football because some MOD or some administrator of this site is too much of a coward to allow a subject that may be of an opinion against one of their own.
    when you first start out here, this site says that it welcomes your valued opinion and when it happens to be an opinion that, for whatever reason, its shut down, tossed out or just omitted from being posted as if it was never an idea in the first place.
    so now i'm supposed to keep my valued opinion to myself? if thats the case, then admstn. should state:
    TOS rules apply and opinions contrary to staff or majority of posters will not be allowed.

thank god my world is not like most of this site. freedom of speech, opinion and expression. take that away or try to suffocate it and you may as well shut down your site.

i stated my point and its not gonna change. you can judge all you want. its synonymous with breathing for most, not all, but most of you, who cannot allow somebodys opinion to post without clobbering him or her.
    think about it. most of you are too weak to withstand an opinion contrary to your own as if any of this makes a difference.
    and tate, youre a MOD i think; in this thread alone, there are many remarks and offenses that, by your so-called rules (why have em?), have been overlooked so you can make one more self-righteous statement, alluding to selfishness.
    if youre talking about my post that was selfish:
    not allowing threads that i post falls under the same category, since this post has the same right to be seen as other posters. no?

would it have been less impolite if i offered my opinion with softer words?
    i would say 'yes'.
    now, if you want to do the right thing, i would remove every post in this thread containing me or reference to me so that the spirit of this thread can get the attention it set out to.
    i only made a comment and tangoed all the way here.
    my apologies to anyone if i have offended. i require none, myself, but i will come out into the streets to meet anyone if they threaten my freedom.
    i welcome whatever i see on here, because each post is from a person and no one is inferior in my eyes if they are bold enough to say what they believe. smoke it and blow the smoke to the rest of the forum.
    enjoy and happy new year and may peace find you all.
    WAR
    The Pleasure of The Mad,
    The Final Argument
    of
    Ungrown Men.
    - Bukowski
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Phan since '66

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oak Harbor, OH 43449
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Getting back to the point of this thread, let me urge everyone to make some kind of contribution to the relief efforts.

This comes with a caveat however!

Please make sure you use an aid organization with a proven record. Red Cross, unicef, the charitable arm of your religious affiliation, etc. I make mine through Lutheran World relief whose overhead is funded through seperate contributions thus all donations to this disaster go for aid. Others have similar policies. While tradgedies like this bring out the best in most folks, they also bring out the crook in a few.

Be generous but be wise as well.
    Ohiophinphan
    Witness to the first ever practice of the Dolphins,
    St. Petersburg Beach, 1966

Banners courtesy of CrunchTime

Quote Quote