Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Everyone Read THIS. (EDIT: CLEANED)

1. -31
    Where do these stairs go?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    North Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryTate
    The sad part about perspective #3 is that most people dont take things like this to heart. If a catastrophe happens halfway around world, no one seems to care because they are selfish. A lot of people don't care about this latest disaster, even though it already looks to be the most deadly natural disaster in recorded history.
    Let me go you one better Terry...it doesn't have to happen half way around the world for people to distance themselves, it merely has to happen out of your view.

An example is the Oklahoma City bombing. The enormity of the situation was lost on everyone that was not directly effected by it, me included. That was until 9/11...at least for me.

It is one thing to not have perspective, but it is another thing to gain perspective and then lose it. Anyone who has been directly affected by a tragedy similar to this (where there was an extreme loss of life to deal with) knows what I mean. If you have gained perspective in life, please do not turn your back on it. Do what your heart tells you to do. I guarantee you will feel better about yourself and you will be helping others.

Another item I read from this Tsunami disaster was about a village of people that survived the Tsunami but lost everything. Just as they were being rescued they were attacked by Crocodiles. Talk about irony. They survive a disaster of biblical proportions only to have to defeat another huge foe in order to survive.

If a 12 year old kid can give up his baseball card money then we can all do something!
    Regards,
    Jeff

Hey Armando, how about a high five?
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    192.168.1.3/255.255.255.0
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer
    Erroneous....do yourself a favour and sit this thread out. This isn't about you or about politics or anything else.

And to the rest of you, why haven't you donated yet?

(Hey Rick, Jeff)
    I donated.
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    London
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FiN.in.RI
    I donated.
    Well done mate. Tell your friends. Get them giving up their cash.
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Jane Gum

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer
    Not so many of us visit the Lounge here at FH. Thus few of us see this.....

I implore you to donate what you can. Have one less beer tonight. Every little helps. There were just under 3000 people killed on September 11th 2001. On December 26th 2004 it may turn out that there were 200,000 people killed. Just puts it in perspective. Any money that you can donate will help feed, help cloth, help save people who now have nothing. It will help stop the spread of cholera and Legionnaires Disease that could end up killing as many people as the Tsunami did. If ANY of you have seen footage of the waves, you will know what you should do.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has holidayed in SE Asia. Please help.

Moderators....Muck...I URGE you to keep this a sticky even for just a week, so that the maximum amount of people can see this and donate even the smallest amount. Don't act like it's not in your backyard.

Thanks
    Boomer.

CLICK HERE AND HELP

http://www.dec.org.uk/
    I'm sorry for anyone that has lost something or someone due to the tsunami but you can't really compare it to 9/11.
    9/11 was an act of war, the tsunami was an act of nature.
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Coral Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lotion
    I'm sorry for anyone that has lost something or someone due to the tsunami but you can't really compare it to 9/11.
    I had this argument with someone earlier that was quickly resolved...Boomer is comparing it as far as loss of human life was concerned. And its not even close to comparable. Everyone knows that the tsunami was an act of nature and 9-11 was an act of terrorism.

You cant compare why these happened, but you can compare figures.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Chief of the Finheaven Iowa Chapter.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryTate
    A lot of people used the american casualties of the iraq war as a platform for election policy, and then when the election was over, people stopped caring for the troops that were dying abroad. How horrible is that? (I'm not trying to turn this into a political thread, so lets just leave it at that)
    This is what boils my blood. There is a Republican rich girl I know who tried to defend Bush on the basis of the Iraq War. She talked until she was blue in the face about helping the Iraqis yet she had absolutley NO IDEA that the death toll for Americans had surpassed 1,000 troops. She was oblivious to the armor shortage on the humvee convoys. You're 100% right about this with some people. They use it to argue for the election and when it's done it's done. Some people are just plain ignorant. I asked her last week if she had any knowledge of the mortar that hit the American mess hall killing over 20 troops.....I recieved a blank stare. My point is that there are a few people who are completely out of touch with the situation in Iraq. Even i'm not as informed as I think i'd like to be. I think that it is important for the American public to see the number of caskets that arrive stateside with our nations flag drapped over them. When you actually see the number of dead in a tangible form it gives amazing perspective. Like the fact that the U.S. lost a grand total of 28,686 men on Iwo Jima. To me each one of those are my 4 friends serving in Iraq and my best friend who is in the Marines. The Japanese lost approximately 20,000 troops at Iwo Jima. Sorry for dragging on but for some people to be completely unaware of 150,000 deaths is shocking. Then there are some who just see it as a figure. Great point Terry.
    "On any given Sunday you're gonna win or you're gonna lose. The point is can you win or lose like a man?"
    - Tony D'Amato -

Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Mac

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Silicon Valley
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchTime
    My cousin was on her honeymoon and she is still missing.Her husband went jogging and saved himself but they cant find her .Its very tragic.
    its tragic to see/read on what happened in east asia. i will donate what i can. hope things turn around for them.

about your cuz CT, i hope she is found alive & well. I wish there family & urs the best in this tragic news.

Quote Quote  

8. -38
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My uncle has sent out the following request for help.They have given up hope.The resort area she was staying at was in Phi Phi Don the island made famous by Leonardo Di Caprio in the movie "The Beach".The Hotel was placed between two bodies of water so it would have recieved the tsunami from two sides.

I'm currently looking for my daughter who is missing in Thailand after the tsunami struck. Her name is Francisca Cooper. She is caucasian, blond wavy hair, 1.70 mts tall, athletic, 26 years old, and was spending her honeymoon with her husband Mr. Aurelio Montes at the Princess Resort in Phi Phi Island. She has a small scar at the front base of her neck.
    Our whole family is really desperate, and we don't know if she's alive or conscious

Quote Quote  

9. -39
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    London
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lotion
    Don't want to get into this but the 'behaviour' of 9/11 is a learned behaviour. It COULD be controlled. The act of nature CAN'T be controlled. And that's scary.
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    BTW I dont want to take away from the spirit of this thread which is to collect funds for the victims of the tsunami so if you want to delete my posts feel free to do so.I regret I posted it because the topic has nothing to do with a football team MB and personal eperiences really dont belong..They are just that.Personal experiences to be shared with family and friends.
    Quote Quote