Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Merged:Saban-Defense to undergo major overhaul?/Type of defense we'd like to play...

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Melbourne, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

"...type of defense that we'd like to play"

Regarding the defense, Saban said that it "may be the time that we need to get a little younger and look for some younger, big, strong, physical guys that we've lost during the past that may be able to benefit the type of defense that we'd like to play."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphin...hins_0121.html

I guess that means Seau's pretty much gone (not really a new thought) and I am guessing that he'd like to really run a 3-4 but knows we don't have the size for it....and would like to beef up our DTs and LBs to switch to a different defensive scheme during his period of "patience" to "rebuild" this team with a foundation for the future.....will be interesting over the next 2 years to see what moves he makes to start getting 'younger' and 'bigger' on Defense..."that we lost during the past"...is he referencing Shula's 3-4 and then JJ's/Dave's use of a 4-3 ?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    beef up our DTs? you have any idea how big lary chester is?
    Dolfans NYC
    The home of New York City Dolphins Fan Club.

Driven By Boredom
    My NYC nightlife website.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Melbourne, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    ok, meant DE's as they are not the typical mold for DE's.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Might be talking about Ogunleye.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Melbourne, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    our defense relies on big run stuffers and lighter, quicker, more agile pass rushers, and smaller then avg. linebackers., 2 shut-down man-to-man cornerbacks, and a couple of safeties to shore up the run (if not contained by the DTs & to help the LBs out) and to help out on coverage depending on the down. i.e. the reason why JT is so great is because of his speed and agility. Put him in a 3-4 defense and he'd realistically get tied up a bit more often at the line (now please don't turn this around and make it sound like I don't like JT or his skill or ability). That's why the 4-3 works well for us. For us to go to a 3-4 we'd need a bigger defense up front (as a whole) and in the middle.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Saban-Defense to undergo major overhaul?

Regarding the defense, Saban said that it "may be the time that we need to get a little younger and look for some younger, big, strong, physical guys that we've lost during the past that may be able to benefit the type of defense that we'd like to play."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2005/01/21/a1c_dolphins_0121.html

Saban said he has studied tape of each player to help him make personnel decisions. The Dolphins would be approximately $17 million over the 2005 salary cap unless they make cuts before the new league year begins in the spring -- and some of those cuts could be painful.

''Sometimes you'd like to have a player on your team [but] . . . you can't afford to have him on the team,'' Saban said.

''Moving forward, we would like to make value decisions so long-term we can be competitive and not run into [tough times] down the road, which some teams have,'' he said. ``We could do a lot of things to be better next year, but then how does that affect two years and three years from now?

``And what are the consequences of some of those decisions? There are some examples of people who have tried to make value decisions, and now it looks like their team may be better long-term because of that.''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/10696288.htm

I think these statements are very revealing .To me it looks like the Defense will have a major overhaul ..Notice the statement doesnt include speed in the qualities he will be looking for.(It could be an oversight)

It also looks like we will be losing many of our defensive stars either through trade or cuts.Who do you think will be the victims and for what reason?What type of defense do you think we will have.Will it be modelled after the Patriots defense ? Do you think there is any possibility we will go defense in the Draft rather than offense as everyone is anticipating ?

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    East Petersburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The first that comes to mind, obviously, is Surtain. We all know his questionable status. I don't think JT, Madison or Zach can be cut/traded because of cap hits, unless Saban cuts so many other players that they can absorb a big hit. Seau is another obvious choice.
    The pleasure of what we enjoy is lost by wanting more.
    -A fortune cookie
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Dont mess with Clint

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks / No Thanks
    what do you think that means guys ? surtain gone ? he is not that old yet, i think for sure seau is gone, bowens too, thomas i dunno
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Penfield New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Surtain is still a solid player on the team. That being said, I still think he'll be released (reading between the lines on what Saban said) unless he takes a pay cut.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    2005 FinHeaven GM League Champion!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    England
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Surtain will have to take a big paycut. Saban may prefer the second or third round pick we could likely get for him.
    Quote Quote