Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 49

Thread: Rodgers, product of system?

  1. -31
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2004
    Posts:
    264
    vCash:
    1000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would never have drafted Marino with the 1st or 2nd pick.
    According to what you said earlier, you wouldn't have drafted Marino in the 1st round altogether.

    Thank god you weren't in that war-room...
    Quote Quote  

  2. -32
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2002
    Posts:
    6,248
    vCash:
    1080
    Loc:
    Sparks, NV
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LZoeller12
    This year there are no sure bets at the qb spot. Period. And the fact that you wouldn't have drafted Marino high, just explains your arguments. Lacking knowledge.
    That's ridiculous. 26 teams passed on Marino. I guess they all lack knowledge. In fact, Shula even said he had other QBs rated higher in the draft than Marino. They were just gone by the time #27 came up. I guess he lacks knowledge too.

    The fact is that just about every expert has Rodgers and Smith in their top 10 and no other QB is even close. The fact that you claim that the other QBs are equivalent shows your lack of knowledge.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -33
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2004
    Posts:
    264
    vCash:
    1000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So let me get this straight. If you want to draft a good QB, you have to pick em in the 1st and they have to have over 60% completion over thier career.
    If you wait till the later rounds and said Qb is still on the board, that means all the teams that passed over them were very knowledgable for doing so?

    Now I'm confused. Where are you suppose to pick a QB if you want a good one?

    Of course Tom Brady is laughing at you right about now...
    Quote Quote  

  4. -34
    LZoeller12's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    270
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Marino had a great college career. John Elway was the headliner of that draft. But anybody else, was well not quite a sure thing.

    I bet you told all your friends just how good ryan leaf was going to be.

    The fact is no one knows.

    Joey Harrington was the third overall choice, who played in that same system, and look. Bust, even with Mooch there.
    Akili Smith played in that same system and threw something like 38 touchdowns in his final year at oregon, and look at him, bust.
    David Carr might be the only prospect under that system to have some success in the pros.

    There are no Eli Manning's or Phillip Rivers'. Or even JP Losman's for that matter.

    That's just the sad truth.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -35
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2002
    Posts:
    6,248
    vCash:
    1080
    Loc:
    Sparks, NV
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PackPhin
    According to what you said earlier, you wouldn't have drafted Marino in the 1st round altogether.

    Thank god you weren't in that war-room...
    That year I thought Marino was a better risk than the alternatives. It's all about balancing risks. My general rule is you don't draft a QB in the first that completes less than 60% of his passes, but you have to consider what your other options are. I didn't think there was any other player with nearly as much upside at that point in the draft. Now I would have taken Elway or Kelly that year above Marino. But drafting isn't an exact science. Nobody is right all the time, but I feel pretty confident about my selections.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -36
    LZoeller12's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    270
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PackPhin
    So let me get this straight. If you want to draft a good QB, you have to pick em in the 1st and they have to have over 60% completion over thier career.
    If you wait till the later rounds and said Qb is still on the board, that means all the teams that passed over them were very knowledgable for doing so?

    Now I'm confused. Where are you suppose to pick a QB if you want a good one?

    Of course Tom Brady is laughing at you right about now...
    Yeah and Joe Montana too.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -37
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2002
    Posts:
    6,248
    vCash:
    1080
    Loc:
    Sparks, NV
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PackPhin
    So let me get this straight. If you want to draft a good QB, you have to pick em in the 1st and they have to have over 60% completion over thier career.
    If you wait till the later rounds and said Qb is still on the board, that means all the teams that passed over them were very knowledgable for doing so?

    Now I'm confused. Where are you suppose to pick a QB if you want a good one?

    Of course Tom Brady is laughing at you right about now...
    No player is a sure thing. Every pick is a gamble. So you weigh the odds. You figure out which characteristics are likely to result in success. It's always a guess you just try and make it an educated one.

    My criteria for a QB I would take early is:

    Division 1 school,
    6'2" or taller
    60% comp. % (but you have to consider the system. ie. with a run and shoot I might look for a 65%), edit (just 1 year, preferably the last one)
    3:1 TD:INT ratio,
    avg. NFL arm strength,
    top 2 QB personalities (according to Jung based test)

    Brady was a fluke. Every NFL team passed him over 5 times. No system is perfect and the truth is I don't analyse every QB, but the I've found that this criteria would have avoided several notable flops.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -38
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2002
    Posts:
    6,248
    vCash:
    1080
    Loc:
    Sparks, NV
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LZoeller12
    Marino had a great college career. John Elway was the headliner of that draft. But anybody else, was well not quite a sure thing.

    I bet you told all your friends just how good ryan leaf was going to be.

    The fact is no one knows.

    Joey Harrington was the third overall choice, who played in that same system, and look. Bust, even with Mooch there.
    Akili Smith played in that same system and threw something like 38 touchdowns in his final year at oregon, and look at him, bust.
    David Carr might be the only prospect under that system to have some success in the pros.

    There are no Eli Manning's or Phillip Rivers'. Or even JP Losman's for that matter.

    That's just the sad truth.
    Actually I thought that Leaf, Harrington and Smith were all overrated and said so before the draft.

    Rodgers would certainly be rated above Rivers and Roth. Smith would be about even with them. IMO Losman wasn't worth a 1st.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -39
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2004
    Posts:
    264
    vCash:
    1000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rafael
    No player is a sure thing. Every pick is a gamble. So you weigh the odds. You figure out which characteristics are likely to result in success. It's always a guess you just try and make it an educated one.

    My criteria for a QB I would take early is:

    Division 1 school,
    6'2" or taller
    60% comp. % (but you have to consider the system. ie. with a run and shoot I might look for a 65%), edit (just 1 year, preferably the last one)
    3:1 TD:INT ratio,
    avg. NFL arm strength,
    top 2 QB personalities (according to Jung based test)

    Brady was a fluke. Every NFL team passed him over 5 times. No system is perfect and the truth is I don't analyse every QB, but the I've found that this criteria would have avoided several notable flops.
    So ultimately Shula was an idiot for picking Marino where he did and Tom Brady/Joe Montana were flukes.
    Got it!


    Wish we'd mistakenly picked Brady though, I tell you that much.
    Woulda fluked us into 3 Super Bowls and we wouldn't be having this conversation...
    Quote Quote  

  10. -40
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2002
    Posts:
    6,248
    vCash:
    1080
    Loc:
    Sparks, NV
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PackPhin
    So ultimately Shula was an idiot for picking Marino where he did and Tom Brady/Joe Montana were flukes.
    Got it!


    Wish we'd mistakenly picked Brady though, I tell you that much.
    Woulda fluked us into 3 Super Bowls and we wouldn't be having this conversation...
    Don't know where you got that Shula was an idiot, unless you just decided to stop reading.

    And yes late rd QB rarely succeed. If you look at how many are drafted you'll find that a very small % actually make it. That small % has to be called flukes. If you figure out a way to identify that small % you'll make millions, good luck.

    I wish we'd picked Brady as well.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Question about Product Key
    By jimmy42jack0 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-10-2008, 05:51 PM
  2. trent green product of a system, culpepper is a system
    By thefranchisedef in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-29-2007, 06:50 AM
  3. The finished product.
    By Majpain in forum Graphics Talk and Requests
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-09-2006, 12:38 AM
  4. Worst name for a product EVER
    By ABrownLamp in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-26-2006, 08:42 PM
  5. Brady Quinn product of system
    By islanddolphin in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 12-02-2005, 02:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •