Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Rodgers, product of system?

1. -41
    I drink your milkshake!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    sounds like a bunch of people that didn't see him throw the ball this year.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Seer of Visions

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LZoeller12
    Does anybody else think that Aaron Rodgers is just a product of a good system. If Jeff Tedford wasn't a brilliant offensive mind, would he even be a first day pick?

Sure he had a great JC career, but so did I, and many others. I don't think he is as good as people think, and doesn't even stack up against Kyle Boller. And look at him.

What do you all think?
    I think your wrong, he has a great arm, perfect mechanics, great accuracy(tied an ncaa record for consecutive completions), intelligent, mobile, there is absolutely nothing to not like about this kid, oh, and hes the ony QB in the last two years to beat USC, he outplayed Leinart both times they faced each other.
    Jay Fiedler can take his'n and lose to your'n.....or take your'n and lose to his'n.

Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Left So Fla, never the Fins...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NaboCane
    This question had some limited impetus before the combine, but not now.

Rodgers is far and away the best pro prospect at QB in this year's draft, both in terms of physical tools and intangibles. That's not a knock on Alex Smith, but a proper assessment of the difference.
    While I agree that Rodgers might be the best prospect, it does not diminish the fact that he is a "system" QB. Tedford's QBs have not been very successful in the pros...that is a fact...Smith is also a "system" QB, but has about equal ability but is a smarter QB. The fact is, neither of these, the top two prospects, really get the scouts and GMs too excited this year. That's not to say they won't be successful, the league is full of QBs that most thought were not going to make it, but I would be reluctant to spend the #2 overall.
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    http://www.nypost.com/sports/41933.htm

Read what it said about rogers and smith
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rafael
    That's ridiculous. 26 teams passed on Marino. I guess they all lack knowledge. In fact, Shula even said he had other QBs rated higher in the draft than Marino. They were just gone by the time #27 came up. I guess he lacks knowledge too.

The fact is that just about every expert has Rodgers and Smith in their top 10 and no other QB is even close. The fact that you claim that the other QBs are equivalent shows your lack of knowledge.

Don Shula had only one QB rated higher in that draft and it was John Elway. Get your facts straight.
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks

You'll go broke taking an Aaron Rodgers early in round one

I'm talking about the long haul. Rodgers may become a great player, but that type of pick will destroy a franchise if you repeat the philosophy over time.

Again, preseason ratings. Early evaluation. Anyone who dismisses them on the collegiate level is wacko. A Boston College team that didn't even crack the Sporting News preseason top 25 was undefeated and in the top 5 a few weeks ago. If you want to think that's legit, please toss your cash in my direction, and your brain cells elsewhere.

That paragraph is not irrelevant to this topic. You use Marino as an example. Fine. Precisely what I'm referring to. He was always rated a premier prospect and slipped to #27 due to overreaction to his senior year. The truth of his ability was the early and long term rating, not the last minute garbage.

You simply cannot afford to take someone high in round one who shot up out of nowhere. Granted, Rodgers is not the masochistic workout warrior who plays like a 4th rounder then vaults into the top 10 based on weight reps and shuttle runs. But he is the classic example of a secondary type of risk -- mediocre athlete who was not even considered a premier JC player and now you're supposed to believe he is a top 5 guy based on a year or two in an extremely sophisticated collegiate offense. No thank you.
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger
    I'm talking about the long haul. Rodgers may become a great player, but that type of pick will destroy a franchise if you repeat the philosophy over time.

Again, preseason ratings. Early evaluation. Anyone who dismisses them on the collegiate level is wacko. A Boston College team that didn't even crack the Sporting News preseason top 25 was undefeated and in the top 5 a few weeks ago. If you want to think that's legit, please toss your cash in my direction, and your brain cells elsewhere.

That paragraph is not irrelevant to this topic. You use Marino as an example. Fine. Precisely what I'm referring to. He was always rated a premier prospect and slipped to #27 due to overreaction to his senior year. The truth of his ability was the early and long term rating, not the last minute garbage.

You simply cannot afford to take someone high in round one who shot up out of nowhere. Granted, Rodgers is not the masochistic workout warrior who plays like a 4th rounder then vaults into the top 10 based on weight reps and shuttle runs. But he is the classic example of a secondary type of risk -- mediocre athlete who was not even considered a premier JC player and now you're supposed to believe he is a top 5 guy based on a year or two in an extremely sophisticated collegiate offense. No thank you.
    Nice post. Got me thinking. Not changing opinions, but thought-provoking.
    New sig coming soon!
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    I am a Dan but not a Lt.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Eglin AFB (Ft.Walton Beach Fl.)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hell. everyone is the product of whatever system they come out of if you want to be realistic
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    The Jukebox Hero

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    York, Pa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LZoeller12
    Does anybody else think that Aaron Rodgers is just a product of a good system. If Jeff Tedford wasn't a brilliant offensive mind, would he even be a first day pick?

Sure he had a great JC career, but so did I, and many others. I don't think he is as good as people think, and doesn't even stack up against Kyle Boller. And look at him.

What do you all think?
    Kyle Boller is a product of a great combine thats all...he was slated to go in the second or third round then he shot into the first with a monster combine thats all. His accuracy was always a question

Rodgers has been slated has one of the most accurate qbs in college football and his arm is for real. The kid can make all the throws. I think the dolphins should seriously consider him at #2 overall or in the second round if they can get a pick there we should take charlie frye
    Quote Quote