Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: U.S. to U.N.: Abortion Not a Human Right

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

U.S. to U.N.: Abortion Not a Human Right

Ten years after a landmark U.N. conference adopted a platform aimed at global equality for women, the United States is demanding that a follow-up meeting make clear women are not guaranteed a right to abortion.

The high-level U.N. meeting attended Monday by more than 100 countries and 6,000 advocates for women's causes is taking stock of what countries have done to implement the 150-page platform of action adopted at the 1995 U.N. women's conference in Beijing to achieve equality of the sexes.

But in informal consultations ahead of the meeting, the United States raised the abortion issue as a first order of business.

The U.N. Commission on the Status of Women, which organized the meeting, had hoped the two-week session would focus on overcoming the roadblocks to women's equality in 12 areas from health, education and employment to political participation and human rights. But the dispute over abortion is likely to dominate the gathering.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,148936,00.html
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Talk about the cart before the horse. Before we worrry about abortion rights EITHER way, how about getting the UN to crack down on things like female circumcision? We're worried about unwanted pregnancies when women are still being carved up on a regular basis?
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinPhan1227
    Talk about the cart before the horse. Before we worrry about abortion rights EITHER way, how about getting the UN to crack down on things like female circumcision? We're worried about unwanted pregnancies when women are still being carved up on a regular basis?
    Amen to that
    "As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand."
    Henry Wheeler Shaw
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think their reasoning is that there are far more abortions than female circumcision, thus a bigger priority?

Players come and go, but I will always be a Miami Dolphins Fan first and foremost.

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You guys are too much!

Bush talks about one subject that bothers him and you get on his case about not mentioning another? Everytime he talks about any problem he now has to give all other problems equal time???

You brought up female circumcism, but you did not mention child prostitution. Are we to assume you support it?
    Quote Quote  

6. -6

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ??? to win
    You guys are too much!

Bush talks about one subject that bothers him and you get on his case about not mentioning another? Everytime he talks about any problem he now has to give all other problems equal time???

You brought up female circumcism, but you did not mention child prostitution. Are we to assume you support it?

Just another example. How about slavery? Still a rampant trade in much of the world. All of them add up to the same thing...how about we treat women as human beings before we worry about abortion?
    Quote Quote  

7. -7

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphan7
    I think their reasoning is that there are far more abortions than female circumcision, thus a bigger priority?
    How many abortions take place outside of the US? Do people even bther with abortions in much of the 3rd world, or do they just toss female children into ditches? Or even better, sell her to a brothel for a few bucks. I think YOUR reasoning is based on be borne up by any facts. Oh, and as for the number of female circumcisions that take place...I don't know if every woman in much of Africa is ever going to have an abortion...but I do know that the majority of them are going to be carved up without anesthesia, or their consent.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Just another example. How about slavery? Still a rampant trade in much of the world. All of them add up to the same thing...how about we treat women as human beings before we worry about abortion?
    Sounds good to me, I think the UN needs to concentrate on human rights violations, many were mentioned in this thread alone. I personally don't support abortions but I support the right of people to do so.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    2008 AFC East Champions

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm not sure exactly what Phin and spyd are trying to say, but I am pro-abortion yet abortion is a luxury and not a vital right like freedom to live. Frankly after seeing Ghosts of Rwanda and reading Why Terrorism Works, the UN needs to prevent genocide and stop encouraging terrorism.
    Quote Quote