Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you guys feel about the QB competition, and competition in general?

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

how do you guys feel about the QB competition, and competition in general?

I think any competition on this team is a positive, no matter what position!
    look at what happened with Drew Brees lat year after his job was challenged, i just believe competition pushes guys, makes it more interesting, and gives us a chance to find new talent......
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I know what your saying about Brees, but AJ had that last year and look what happened. AT the end of the year when Fiedler was on IR he played good (better). I hope Saban doesnt even think of starting another QB.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Man of Steel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mario88vega
    I think any competition on this team is a positive, no matter what position!
    look at what happened with Drew Brees lat year after his job was challenged, i just believe competition pushes guys, makes it more interesting, and gives us a chance to find new talent......
    Drew Brees was given the job because Philip Rivers held out. There was no competition involved. They couldn't start Rivers when he played in what? Two PS games?

If it's AJ/Gus (which it will be) then I don't mind it as long as it's understood AJ gets the job no matter what... That's the only good competition (Except don't let Feeley know he's got the job, make him think he must "earn" it). Gus is a 33 year old journeyman). AJ Feeley is still young and showed a lot of potential the last few games of the season.

If Gus has a serious shot at being the starter in 05, then a QB is a must at #2.

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Having a full quarterback competition is another way of saying "I don't have a quarterback."

I still say that if we don't have the confidence in AJ to make him the guy this year, then we MUST draft a quarterback with our pick.

DO NOT fool around with this position. This is the one position that has held this team back since Marino's retirement, and this is the position that ultimately costs many coaches their jobs.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Come Get SOMEEE!!!!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NYC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i think a qb competion is the greatest way to choose your qb.......it pushes both qbs to their fullest potential and it makes whoever wins more confident
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Dolphins...til death do us part

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21
    Having a full quarterback competition is another way of saying "I don't have a quarterback."

I still say that if we don't have the confidence in AJ to make him the guy this year, then we MUST draft a quarterback with our pick.

DO NOT fool around with this position. This is the one position that has held this team back since Marino's retirement, and this is the position that ultimately costs many coaches their jobs.

I agree, i'm a little worried about this qb competition, was hoping we had put the qb controversy behind us
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    R.I.P. djfresh47

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Right, "If you have two QB's, you really don't have one." If Gus wins the job then he should be the starter, Aj didn't prove anything to me last season other than he's consistently inconsistent. I really hope Alex Smith is drafted with the #2, after the college football season I liked Rodgers more than Smith, but if Smith has an incredible workout he's gonna jump ahead of Rodgers and be taken #1 IMO.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The controversy, in itself, will only be ended when this team has a quarterback that takes the reigns and leaves no doubt as to whom should be the starter.

The situation with AJ is a bit different though. He's a young quarterback that has shown the potential to be an above average starter in terms of the talent that he has. He has also shown that he has some things that he needs to work though, and to do so, he needs to play. The season he had last year would have wrecked the psyche of many young quarterbacks, and I believe that letting the doubt in that he may not be the guy to go with in the long run could do more harm than good.

This is the toughest position to evaluate in football. There appears to be a thin line between giving up too early on a young quarterback and sticking with him for too long. The patience Seattle exhibited with Matt Hasselbeck paid off in the end, and San Diego had all but given up on Drew Brees. Conversely, you have situations like Miami sticking with Jay Fiedler despite the obvious fact that he couldn't do the job.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bellingham, MA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think competition is good but it must be decided quickly. Cotinuity is one of the most important things you need to establish in training camp. Pick a starter early and stick with him.

This is especially important on the O-line.
    Please don't look dumb by predicting a 30+ point week for the Dolphins.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Missouri
    Thanks / No Thanks

After listening to Nick's interview today, I think there's a very good chance he'll do exactly that. I think our pick will be Rodgers or Smith. This draft is so loaded at RB, someone potentially better than Brown/Caddy/Benson will be available with our 3rd rounder (or even 2nd rounder if we get one for Surtain).
    Quote Quote