Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Merge"wad ball" a subtle diss at "wanny ball?"/Saban: We don't want to play"wad ball"

1. -11
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If you think about it.... Brown has no problems sharing carries.... Williams complained he had too many carries....both could be very dangerous for us if we can get both use both in two back sets.... or put brown out in the slot and use ricky in the back or visa versa.... i mean think about the potential... you could have a very very strong backfeild with the both there.... both look like they do not have a problem sharing the carries... WOW... i'm gettting goosebumps thinking abouty RICKY and RONNIE in the back field.... with Chambers Booker & McMichael..... the D will be going bonkers with the a crazy playbook S.L. & N.S. will be drawing up.... we really have nothing to loose...
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Krie30511
    If you think about it.... Brown has no problems sharing carries.... Williams complained he had too many carries....both could be very dangerous for us if we can get both use both in two back sets.... or put brown out in the slot and use ricky in the back or visa versa.... i mean think about the potential... you could have a very very strong backfeild with the both there.... both look like they do not have a problem sharing the carries... WOW... i'm gettting goosebumps thinking abouty RICKY and RONNIE in the back field.... with Chambers Booker & McMichael..... the D will be going bonkers with the a crazy playbook S.L. & N.S. will be drawing up.... we really have nothing to loose...
    I don`t think so, if Ricky comes back, we won`t draft a RB (maybe in the later rounds) we can`t afford to have 2 premier RB`s with all the holes we have to fill.
    failure has many excuses . . . . . . . success has no explanation
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Manning to Tyree = Best SB Play EVER!!!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Seattle WA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFin
    You got to love it, I think Saban is the kind of guy that likes to use multiple backs, much like linehan did at Minnesota.

This indicates to me that you may not see a big marquee back here with a huge contract, like a high first rounder would pull. Its hard to keep a runner happy that thinks hes the greatest when he isn't getting enough carries to lead the league in rushing.
    yea because Williams and Brown sure did get a lot of carries in college.
    “If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base.”
    by Dave Berry
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Again & Again

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phin19
    I don`t think so, if Ricky comes back, we won`t draft a RB (maybe in the later rounds) we can`t afford to have 2 premier RB`s with all the holes we have to fill.
    One RB is already paid for...
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boston,MA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFin
    You got to love it, I think Saban is the kind of guy that likes to use multiple backs, much like linehan did at Minnesota.

This indicates to me that you may not see a big marquee back here with a huge contract, like a high first rounder would pull. Its hard to keep a runner happy that thinks hes the greatest when he isn't getting enough carries to lead the league in rushing.

You are absolutely correct. That would further justify using the #2 pick on Derrick Johnson. He's the type of game changing LB that we need on our D.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Trapped in Trudeaupia

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Toronto
    Thanks / No Thanks

"wad ball" a subtle diss at "wanny ball?"

I couldn't help laughing at saban's characterization of wanny's offensive philosophy:

"Saban joked that Williams could still be effective without playing "wad ball," which he described as "everybody gets wadded up in a pile in the middle of the field and you plunge it into the middle of it and let him run over everybody…

"you don't really have the old-fashioned theory that we have to have this great running back because we're going to give him the ball 40 times a game."

Whether he meant it or not, a shot at wanny's regressive thinking on the O side of the ball, is exactly what this was. Man, the more I think about it, the more I realize that letting wanny coach a professional NFL team in 2004 is like trying to win a F1 race with a horse and carriage
    "An appeaser feeds the crocodile in the hope that it will eat him last. But sometimes the croc eats him first anyway."

--Winston Churchill
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    I'm on my comma

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I know, I loved that line when I read it.

It's exciting to know that we have a coach that wants to win, not just hang on and squeek by when the clock reads 0:00. Thank you, God.

Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Board Linebacker

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No doubt that was a punch at Wanny. Even the most inept fan noticed how our gameplan was "run ricky up the middle, no matter how many people they put there" every year. It was stupid, uncreative and i'm glad he's gone.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't think it was a personal slap at Wanny. But, I suspect it was the message sent to Ricky that, if he didn't want to be pounded into the line 40 X a game, he wasn't going to see that with Saban. And, I think it was certainly a slap at the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" philosophy that Wannstedt had lived by.

I like Saban more every time the guy speaks up.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Board Linebacker

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Seriously can you see the meeting room? Wanny and all the coaches. One guy goes: "so Dave, what are we going to do next week against the pats?" Wanny replies: " Good question. I've been doing a lot of thinking. How about this: We have been running Ricky up the middle for a few seasons now, and if we do it again, it WILL BE A TOTAL SUPRISE. They won't see it comming, I promise guys, this week it will work. I gotta leave early today though, I need to put some money on the Yanks, the Sox have never won anything anyway".
    Quote Quote