Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What You Don't Know About Me & FinHeaven & a Donations Graph (merged)

1. -71
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    arkansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by poornate
    I love this site. Please help out guys!
    (here's a little more AJ)
    i don't think i could elaborate on that one bit. i love this site, PLEASE help!
    Quote Quote  

2. -72
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    arkansas
    Thanks / No Thanks

AJ, i think you should check into this!

Originally posted by Surferosa
    Just a thought - Have you approached a representaive of the Dolphins organization? This is far and away the best Dolphins board on the web, and imo they would gladly sponsor the operating costs of this site in return for generating so much positive hype and attention on these boards. For the realitvely small amount of money that you are asking for ($1,500 is chump change to the club), they may decide it is in their best interests to "donate" the money on an annual basis.

if you need help with this, let me know.
    sounds like it could go!
    Quote Quote  

3. -73
    We may die, but our actions are immortal

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    northern virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wish people would realize that a buck a piece would prevent AJ from having to charge a subscription fee. For me that would ruin a lot of what I love about this site. No more Jills fans to mock. Think about it smack fans. Would you pay $20 to go to BBI? Probably not. Don't give $50.00. Give $5. If these guys come asking for some help and they don't get it, do you think their need goes away? There is a paypal link at the start of this thread. It's just a couple of clicks to donate. Or you could send in a check for a few dollars to the address. Not complicated but definitely appreciated.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."
    Quote Quote  

4. -74
    Maria & LauRen Aha!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CT
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by poornate
    I wish people would realize that a buck a piece would prevent AJ from having to charge a subscription fee. For me that would ruin a lot of what I love about this site. No more Jills fans to mock. Think about it smack fans. Would you pay $20 to go to BBI? Probably not. Don't give $50.00. Give $5. If these guys come asking for some help and they don't get it, do you think their need goes away? There is a paypal link at the start of this thread. It's just a couple of clicks to donate. Or you could send in a check for a few dollars to the address. Not complicated but definitely appreciated.
    exacly what I was thinking so I donated $10 to the cause. All we need to for the active members to throw in $5-$10 bucks and the #s will start adding
    Quote Quote  

5. -75
    We may die, but our actions are immortal

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    northern virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I just sent in another twenty last night. I think it's like the third time I've "tithed". I don't mind giving extra money when I have it. I would prefer not to have people be discouraged from visiting us because there is a fee.
    Quote Quote  

6. -76
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    How about trying to lower operating expenses?
    you currently pay
    $35/yr for the domain - transfer it to Dotster $14.95/year
    $30/yr for the message board - switch to one that does force you into a license - phpbb 2.0 is excellent and feature rich http://phpbb.com/ since it is PHP it takes up very little band width is is very quick -- I also believe there is a conversion for vB to phpBB
    There are hosts out there that offer unlimited bandwidth and unlimited storage space -- what kind of system are you on now? Unix, Linux, Windows -- http://www.megawebserver.com/ offers $210/yr unlimited storage/bandwidth on a windows system-- you could cut your expenses in half
    Worst case charge $9.95/yr membership to the site -- you might have 1200 members but how many have never returned to the site? never posted? or came from another site to talk trash for a week and vanished?
    Remove "members" that haven't signed on in 6 months more - gives you a better idea of your actual user group
    Have other ideas also --
    John
    John@jpcomedy.com
    Quote Quote  

7. -77
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I believe paypal stopped the $5 on personal accounts -- i think the only give the $5 with business/premier account startups - now that e-bay bought them who knows what they will offer.
    Quote Quote  

8. -78
    FinHeaven Lives

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    85 - we plan on switching to 000domains which is $13.95 a year after this year ends.

Furthermore, we don't have to pay the $30 a year, we just want to get the updates for vBulletin. So this is optional, but we choose to upgrade...

About the host, we are looking around. We have found some chearper hosts, however, I personally do not trust a host that offers unlimited bandwidth. Every hosts buys bandwidth in bulk (most of them anyways). So, if they buy 30gigs and you go over that EVERY single month... you're telling me that they will have no problem with that? I don't think so. It's simple business. I know one too many friends that went with this type of plan, and exceeding 30gigs, the host ended up threatening their site by saying pay more or leave.

Furthermore, most shared servers won't work for us, and this is usually inexpensive to begin with. We are looking for a VPS or dedicated... most likely a VPS though.

Good ideas... if you have any more, let us know. Furthermore, if you know anyone in the hosting business, let us know. Thanks...
    AJ Tatum

"If carrots got you drunk, rabbits would be messed up."
    - Mitch Hedberg
    Quote Quote  

9. -79
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    arkansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    alright nate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  

10. -80
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Andrew,
    Let me ask around for you - i have a lot of contacts in the computer business and might be able to get you some leads to save you some money ...
    You seem to have a very loyal following -- affiliate sites are tough because of the 5-10% commision per sale and only getting money after $25 threshold...
    Finheaven hats, visors, and t-shirts - use your own logo and not any official dolphin logos -- if you can get 100 people that want to buy a shirt for $15-$20 you can get a nice profit from that if you have a good t-shirt company in the area..i know some screen printing guys also....i recommend getting some prices and get money first - make the shirts after you have the guarantee since you don't want to get stuck holding the bag on them
    do you offer finheaven.com e-mail for users? i bet a lot of people would go for $5 a year for 3-5mb mailbox
    JP
    Quote Quote