Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice... Feel free to berate me for asking for advice here

1. -11
    Drunken Sailor

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Portsmouth, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonShula84
    How does one get a book published at 18? Did you know an agent already, or did you just write something and start shopping it around? I'm not a writer, just curious.
    It helped that I knew an agent through a friend. The first time I sat down with her and explained to her that I was writing a book she was trying not to laugh at me. Then I pulled out a binder with roughly 90 pages typed out. She refered me to a coleague of hers who works more with fiction writers. I submited some work and for a while I heard nothing; finaly she got back to me, set up a meeting started shopping publishers. It also helps, when writing, write something marketable. For example the book I have coming out in January is called the Memoirs of a Pizza Delivery Man. It is 28 short storys about my experiances delivering pizzas. It is scary, funny, dramatic and even at one point romantic from the point of view of a chain smoking pizza dude. Who the hell wouldnt want to read that?

On the other hand, the book I have been working on for quite a while now is a novel. Working title is The Insomniacs Guide to Dating a Lesbian. Less marketable but alot more personal and I think more well written. Getting that one in print will be a chalange
    PARTNERSHIP FOR A BUFFALO BILLS FREE AMERICA
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PassRush
    It helped that I knew an agent through a friend. The first time I sat down with her and explained to her that I was writing a book she was trying not to laugh at me. Then I pulled out a binder with roughly 90 pages typed out. She refered me to a coleague of hers who works more with fiction writers. I submited some work and for a while I heard nothing; finaly she got back to me, set up a meeting started shopping publishers. It also helps, when writing, write something marketable. For example the book I have coming out in January is called the Memoirs of a Pizza Delivery Man. It is 28 short storys about my experiances delivering pizzas. It is scary, funny, dramatic and even at one point romantic from the point of view of a chain smoking pizza dude. Who the hell wouldnt want to read that?

On the other hand, the book I have been working on for quite a while now is a novel. Working title is The Insomniacs Guide to Dating a Lesbian. Less marketable but alot more personal and I think more well written. Getting that one in print will be a chalange

Is this John Simmons?
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Drunken Sailor

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Portsmouth, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martel
    Is this John Simmons?
    que?
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Sporty Don

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Beach, Ca
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PassRush

Interesting. Well since you've already written a book about your current job perhaps moving to Orleans and working with your brother will give you some new material or a new idea for a book.

Quote Quote  

5. -15
    wiley veteran bad spelur

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    indian river country
    Thanks / No Thanks
    just think, someday on the back cover like L'Amour and Cussler, YOUR story will be as interesting as the one in the book. Go for it! After you get older and tied with more responsibilities you will be unable to do things like this. This is actually very interesting. Many years ago I had an opportunity to take a job as a deckhand on a job that was similar to that being offered you. Part of the lure to me was getting to meet treasure salvors, but I had just gotten out of the Navy and wanted to play and party... I did. Just yesterday, because of my involvement with a shipwreck survey off the coast, I sat in a gazebo at Bob Weller's house and discussed with a half dozen salvors our upcoming survey. I could not but wonder would I now be among them, and would their stories be mine, had I taken the job years ago. It was really weird. I held a 7 pound 4 ounce gold ingot from the 1715 wrecks in my hands... very cool. Do it, you will have plenty of writing time and like reading, that is a good escape from the living quarters. Think about how rich the environment for meeting interesting stories is. PLENTY of sea stories(of the "no sh!tter" variety), smuggling stories, weather stories, rough neck stories which will likely include some from the north sea, aaahhh ! Life..it's an Adventure!
    18-1 Choke of the Century

Click on VIP badge to Join
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Now completely imaginary

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Elsewhere
    Thanks / No Thanks
    How many hours would you be working each day?? On an 8-hour day, you'll be making between $11.25 and $13.75 an hour. Is this before or after taxes?? Obviously this rate gets lower the more hours you work per day.

Personally I wouldn't do it. It's not my kind of life. And it wouldn't make financial sense. But you gotta do what's best for you.

Do you have any plans for college?? How serious is this girlfriend??
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Section:445 Row:19 Seat:1&2

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Coral Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not to be the materialistic prick of the bunch but where are your seats? If they are better then mine (check under name to the left) I'd love to switch and sell off mine( you sign over yours). That way youd know a good person was sitting in them.

If you decide to stay then stay, and join us at the tailgates.

Life has given you a choice, you either choose path A or path B. Neither is right, and neither is wrong. If you are at a point where you want a new adventure, then Go, you are by no means tied down (come speak to me when you have a wife and kids). If its a good finacial oppurtunity then take it!!!!

Don't lay on your deathbed and wish that you could have changed something!!!!
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Drunken Sailor

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Portsmouth, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck
    How many hours would you be working each day?? On an 8-hour day, you'll be making between $11.25 and $13.75 an hour. Is this before or after taxes?? Obviously this rate gets lower the more hours you work per day.

Personally I wouldn't do it. It's not my kind of life. And it wouldn't make financial sense. But you gotta do what's best for you.

Do you have any plans for college?? How serious is this girlfriend??
    Well, I would be on call 24/7 while on board but acording to my brother you usualy work between 6-8 hours a day. I have been considering college but it is unrealistic. I have too many bills to pay, its not realistic I can go to college and only work one job and still make my car and rent payments. The girlfriend is begining to get kind of serious. We have been going out for about a year and a half and she wants to get an apartment with me. I told her about this and she is giving me the "whatevers best for you, we can make this work long distance" line.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Cogito, Ergo FinFanum

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    With the Cheerleaders in the Premie Forum
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cnc66
    just think, someday on the back cover like L'Amour and Cussler, YOUR story will be as interesting as the one in the book. Go for it! After you get older and tied with more responsibilities you will be unable to do things like this. This is actually very interesting. Many years ago I had an opportunity to take a job as a deckhand on a job that was similar to that being offered you. Part of the lure to me was getting to meet treasure salvors, but I had just gotten out of the Navy and wanted to play and party... I did. Just yesterday, because of my involvement with a shipwreck survey off the coast, I sat in a gazebo at Bob Weller's house and discussed with a half dozen salvors our upcoming survey. I could not but wonder would I now be among them, and would their stories be mine, had I taken the job years ago. It was really weird. I held a 7 pound 4 ounce gold ingot from the 1715 wrecks in my hands... very cool. Do it, you will have plenty of writing time and like reading, that is a good escape from the living quarters. Think about how rich the environment for meeting interesting stories is. PLENTY of sea stories(of the "no sh!tter" variety), smuggling stories, weather stories, rough neck stories which will likely include some from the north sea, aaahhh ! Life..it's an Adventure!
    If I had it all to do over again, I'd orient all of my academics, hobbies, living places, stepping-stone jobs, et cetera toward becoming an underwater archaeologist and salvager. I love the sea, I love history, I love objects of art and culture... and the greatest frontier of archaeological discovery is beneath the seas.

As for the decision PassRush is facing...

When you're older and looking back, I seriously doubt that you would ever regret any decision you made to expose yourself to new settings, new work, new people, and so on. This decision would be a no-brainer to me; -- you're young and you have freedom to explore something different. Your girlfriend is relatively important to you right now, but no such relationship should bind you to one place at this stage in your life. If it's serious, you can find opportunities to travel to see each other. And even if you don't, as time passes while you're apart, you'll gain perspective on how important that particular relationsgip is to you both in the big picture. You can always wait for each other or return to each other.

The only other thing I'd set as a priority would be academic. I'm not worried about the spelling question some people seize upon; people's brains are wired differently, and storing the templates for "perfect" spelling isn't an essential function or capacity of a creative, interesting mind. I'm talking about pursuing your craft of writing with the kinds of guidance, criticism and mentoring other writers would offer you in an academic setting. Does that sound hard? It should. But it's the kind of thing with which you should challenge yourself. Saban gave his book the title he did for very good reasons.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Drunken Sailor

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Portsmouth, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P4E
    If I had it all to do over again, I'd orient all of my academics, hobbies, living places, stepping-stone jobs, et cetera toward becoming an underwater archaeologist and salvager. I love the sea, I love history, I love objects of art and culture... and the greatest frontier of archaeological discovery is beneath the seas.

As for the decision PassRush is facing...

When you're older and looking back, I seriously doubt that you would ever regret any decision you made to expose yourself to new settings, new work, new people, and so on. This decision would be a no-brainer to me; -- you're young and you have freedom to explore something different. Your girlfriend is relatively important to you right now, but no such relationship should bind you to one place at this stage in your life. If it's serious, you can find opportunities to travel to see each other. And even if you don't, as time passes while you're apart, you'll gain perspective on how important that particular relationsgip is to you both in the big picture. You can always wait for each other or return to each other.

The only other thing I'd set as a priority would be academic. I'm not worried about the spelling question some people seize upon; people's brains are wired differently, and storing the templates for "perfect" spelling isn't an essential function or capacity of a creative, interesting mind. I'm talking about pursuing your craft of writing with the kinds of guidance, criticism and mentoring other writers would offer you in an academic setting. Does that sound hard? It should. But it's the kind of thing with which you should challenge yourself. Saban gave his book the title he did for very good reasons.
    Thanks, very good prospective. Going to school is definatly on my list of things to do but at this point I need new experiances, new atmosphere and most of all I need money. As a matter of fact Mel(my girlfriend) and myself had a lenghy talk about this tonight and she agrees that it may be the best thing for me right now and if all things go well, the best for us in the long run. I think I have things in prospective and I am going to do this, as long as I can be in town for the first game of the new era of Dolphins football.
    Quote Quote