Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Church of Scientology

1. -1
    aka FinSane

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

The Church of Scientology

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    aka FinSane

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cruise: Communication is the universal solvent. That's why I talk about it. What I believe in is that people should be able to think for themselves, and they should be able to make decisions, based on information, on being informed. I don't believe that children should be forced on drugs. I think parents should be informed on the effects of these drugs.
    Ya Hubbard really allows that
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Gone

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The central beliefs of Scientology are that:

* a person is an immortal spiritual being (termed a thetan) who possesses a mind and a body, accompanied by a lesser "genetic entity";
    * the thetan has lived through many past lives (called the "whole track"), stored memories from which can cause problems in the present day;
    * a person is basically good, but is "aberrated" by the memories of past traumas.

The Church states that the goal of Scientology is a world without war, criminals, and insanity, where good decent people have the freedom to reach their goals. In Dianetics, Hubbard proposed that the cause of "aberrations" in the human mind was the accumulated unconscious memories of traumatic incidents and guilty feelings dating back, in some cases, to before the moment of birth. He extended this view further in Scientology, declaring that thetans have existed for tens of trillions of years. During that time, they have been exposed to vast numbers of traumatic incidents.

Another basic tenet of Scientology is that there are three interrelated (and intrinsically spiritual) components that are the very makeup of successful "livingness": affinity, reality (or agreement), and communication, which equate to understanding. Hubbard called this the "ARC triangle". Scientologists utilize ARC as a central organizing principle in their lives, primarily based upon the belief that raising one aspect of the triangle increases the other two.

Scientology claims to offer an exact methodology to help a person achieve spiritual and ethical education, awareness, and improvement, so that he or she may achieve a level of spiritual purity as well as greater effectiveness in the physical world. The ultimate goal of Scientology is to "rehabilitate" the thetan, restoring its superhuman abilities to control "matter, energy, space and time"
    Hoo boy....
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Does anyone else think Hubbard is rolling in his grave.....with laughter??
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    just a little cattywampus

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Charleston, SC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    obscure reference coming up, but someone will appreciate it hopefully, so bare with me here: the Bob and Tom radio show (syndicated out of Indianapolis) had a parody song back about ten years ago when the "Heaven's gate" kooks all killed themselves in preparation for the coming of Halley's Comet.

they did so because the fruitcake who started the cult told them that the comet was coming to take them away to Heaven. but only if they killed themselves.

so all these believers moved into a California mansion (there were like 30 of them who sold everything and contributed it all to the leader to do so). they set up shop doing something computer related when the technology boom was in full stream and made even more money. but then it came time to off themselves. and they did.

all these people lived together in this big house and there was no sex going on. why you ask? oh, well in order to join men had to get castrated to purify their thoughts. everyone except the leader conveniently enough. and the women had to sleep with him to purify themselves as i recall.

anyway, the Bob and Tom Show did a song the first line of which is: "I'm looking for moronic losers with some money who would like to follow me, I'll be the shepherd of the flock, and you can be my sheep." The song cracks me up to this day, and reading that scientology "Thetans" stuff reminded me of that song. Thanks for indulging me. I guess the moral of the story to me is; its all about the money, one way or another.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fairfax Station, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    For those of you who hadn't noticed yet, you have conformation via the recent Matt Lauer interview: Tom Cruise is an idiot. He made Matt look like a braintrust.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    University of Arkansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's almost as crazy as Christianity.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Gone

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SECfootball
    It's almost as crazy as Christianity.
    Let's not get carried away....much as I'm no big fan of christianity, you can't compare the two. Scientologists are just a tad insane.

Christians aren't insane, just a little misguided. (kidding, before anyone gets their panties in a bunch!)
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Deep Threat

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Honestly...

That sounds like astrology and past life regression packaged in a different way. It's almost as if it is taking the supernatural and trying to frame it scientifically to give it validity.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Coral Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonPhan
    obscure reference coming up, but someone will appreciate it hopefully, so bare with me here: the Bob and Tom radio show (syndicated out of Indianapolis) had a parody song back about ten years ago when the "Heaven's gate" kooks all killed themselves in preparation for the coming of Halley's Comet.

they did so because the fruitcake who started the cult told them that the comet was coming to take them away to Heaven. but only if they killed themselves.

so all these believers moved into a California mansion (there were like 30 of them who sold everything and contributed it all to the leader to do so). they set up shop doing something computer related when the technology boom was in full stream and made even more money. but then it came time to off themselves. and they did.

all these people lived together in this big house and there was no sex going on. why you ask? oh, well in order to join men had to get castrated to purify their thoughts. everyone except the leader conveniently enough. and the women had to sleep with him to purify themselves as i recall.

anyway, the Bob and Tom Show did a song the first line of which is: "I'm looking for moronic losers with some money who would like to follow me, I'll be the shepherd of the flock, and you can be my sheep." The song cracks me up to this day, and reading that scientology "Thetans" stuff reminded me of that song. Thanks for indulging me. I guess the moral of the story to me is; its all about the money, one way or another.
    Good time for Lewis Black....

"They killed themselves, in a mansion...IN A MANSION!!!! You don't kill yourself in a mansion, you kill yourself is a ****ty apartment like I live in."
    Quote Quote