Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: We are in trouble (with the site)

1. -21
    The Human Bullet

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We have tried advertising, and in fact we HAVE advertisers, it's just not making enough. Our budget? We need $129.00 a month for 12 months. We took the 500.00 we raised in the last donation, and bought a one year package which we hoped would solve the problem. Well, as you all can see, Fin Heaven crashes the server we are on. They told us we need a dedicated server, and that is 129.00 a month.

Other sites easily raise the money for operating costs. There is a Jets, Bills, Packers, and Raiders site that I know of, which does a fund raiser every year, and they don't seem to have any problem. One site has about half the members we do.

In the mean time, until we can afford to upgrade, just expect the site to crash a lot. We are working on a temp solution for that, but we aren't sure if we can work it out.

Sorry for snapping at everyone in the beginning, AJ and I were just frustrated, and a bit angry.

Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chester,Va.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I will send some money soon.Not being able to view my favorite sight is a scary thought.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Indianapolis
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Come on guys even if you just read the forums instead of posting still donate...just think...no more forum...no more reading
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    100% Homer. Don't like it? Get lost.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boca Raton, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by Adphinistrator87
    We have tried advertising, and in fact we HAVE advertisers, it's just not making enough. Our budget? We need $129.00 a month for 12 months. We took the 500.00 we raised in the last donation, and bought a one year package which we hoped would solve the problem. Well, as you all can see, Fin Heaven crashes the server we are on. They told us we need a dedicated server, and that is 129.00 a month.

Other sites easily raise the money for operating costs. There is a Jets, Bills, Packers, and Raiders site that I know of, which does a fund raiser every year, and they don't seem to have any problem. One site has about half the members we do.

In the mean time, until we can afford to upgrade, just expect the site to crash a lot. We are working on a temp solution for that, but we aren't sure if we can work it out.

Sorry for snapping at everyone in the beginning, AJ and I were just frustrated, and a bit angry.

Like I told AJ. Your solution is closer than you think.
    The admins of Finheaven should all get yahoo or netmeeting and we all should make a little "conference" call.

This site is to big to just live on donations - year in and year out.

I would love to contribute but unless I pay the whole bill I feel like the money will not solve the problem. As big as the membership is when it comes to money most just step back and wait and see until its to late.

I told AJ yesterday that Finheaven will go no where (no where as in will not go away). It's just a matter of time for you all to find some time and talk.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Loyalty to my country always. Loyalty to my government when it deserves it.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    A couple of thoughts--
    you may have 1000+ members but how many are actively using the board? How many have signed up for a game - twalked trahs and never come back?
    Is it possible with vb to determine active members vs inactive members? The submitted e-mail address when they signed up - send out a mass mailing too all 1000+ members...requesting a donation to keep the site a live...if they don't check the site they don't know what is going on make them know.
    They want to you upgrade because of bandwidth I am assuming?
    What is taking up the most bandwidth? is there a way to bring it down using a different service/feature?
    See if you can find a provider that is will to trade you site for free advertising that will reach over 1000+ finheaven members and countless other from across the country --- perhaps a reseller account -- sell space to finheaven's user base -- usually thos accounts have more leeway for bandwidth/space.
    JP
    --just looked at the member list -- about 600 members have less than 10 posts and of those approx 230 members have never posted - now assuming the other 400-500 are active and willing to donate those are the ones you have to hit up for a few bucks..
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by dolphan39
    sounds like this might be pollworthy ?

though I have a real problem w/member fees since it kinda eliminates the ease with which great fans like the Packs fans we had here would come on ever. I do not see an issue for some Dolphans, I would not go to another team site for a fee.

VERY GOOD POINT!!

I'm with you! I like the idea of other fans joining in on the discussions. It gives us all a broader view of the NFL and keeps things, in dolphin land, a little more in perspective.

Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Maria & LauRen Aha!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CT
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by SWS84
    VERY GOOD POINT!!

I'm with you! I like the idea of other fans joining in on the discussions. It gives us all a broader view of the NFL and keeps things, in dolphin land, a little more in perspective.

unfortunately, they leaves up back to where we are: needing voluntary donations or bust
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Plymouth, Ma
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by FFiB

This site is to big to just live on donations - year in and year out.

Thats not true.

The 2 Packer sites that I go to do well with donations and a few other ploys. Both have tried the sponsorship ads to generate some income to help pay the costs but found that these simply did not generate enough money.

I checked the membership numbers of the 2 Packer sites I go to

X4 has 1749 members
    Zbuds has 971

AJ why don't you contact the head guys there for some ideas. Both are really cool guys and can not think of a reason why they would not be willing to share some ideas with you here that could help you out. If you need their url's email me and I will send them to you.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boca Raton, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by 85inthehall
    A couple of thoughts--
    you may have 1000+ members but how many are actively using the board? How many have signed up for a game - twalked trahs and never come back?
    Is it possible with vb to determine active members vs inactive members? The submitted e-mail address when they signed up - send out a mass mailing too all 1000+ members...requesting a donation to keep the site a live...if they don't check the site they don't know what is going on make them know.
    They want to you upgrade because of bandwidth I am assuming?
    What is taking up the most bandwidth? is there a way to bring it down using a different service/feature?
    See if you can find a provider that is will to trade you site for free advertising that will reach over 1000+ finheaven members and countless other from across the country --- perhaps a reseller account -- sell space to finheaven's user base -- usually thos accounts have more leeway for bandwidth/space.
    JP
    --just looked at the member list -- about 600 members have less than 10 posts and of those approx 230 members have never posted - now assuming the other 400-500 are active and willing to donate those are the ones you have to hit up for a few bucks..
    Very good post. Most sites are in trouble because of bandwith issues. I do know of a couple of areas where bandwidth is being used heavily and can be solved easily. But I doubt it will be enough.
    Unfortunately bandwith charges is a trumped up charge. I am hosting clients for 12 years now and mu c-base is close to 1,000 on a total of 57 servers. I never charged bandwidth on VPS accounts.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boca Raton, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by Squirrel
    Thats not true.

The 2 Packer sites that I go to do well with donations and a few other ploys. Both have tried the sponsorship ads to generate some income to help pay the costs but found that these simply did not generate enough money.

I checked the membership numbers of the 2 Packer sites I go to

X4 has 1749 members
    Zbuds has 971

AJ why don't you contact the head guys there for some ideas. Both are really cool guys and can not think of a reason why they would not be willing to share some ideas with you here that could help you out. If you need their url's email me and I will send them to you.
    a) how many active members?
    b) Packers fans are in their own world anyways. The most dedicated fans you can imagine.
    Quote Quote