Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cornerstone of Saban's Defense Still Missing

1. -1
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Cornerstone of Saban's Defense Still Missing

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphin...more_0926.html

Some very good points in this article.

This is something we're going to be seeing all year long so we should definitely get use to it. Teams are going to continue to TRY to test our secondary and spread us out.

I say try because first thing is first, if you want to even get the ball out of your hands, you have to withstand the pressure we put on you first. You have to not get sacked, not get the ball batted, not get pressured into making an inaccurate throw, and hold out long enough for your receiver to develop a money position on our secondary guys.

Still, in retrospect I still say it would have been nice to have managed to get Corey Webster in the 2nd round. Nothing against Matt Roth, but having Webster AND Daniels right now would go a long way toward solving a lot of our problems in the secondary, while I don't think Roth is contributing much on the DL yet (it will obviously take some time for him to come into his own).

Webster, in the meantime, is doing very well with the Giants and probably would be doing way better in the system he played in college. Damn shame.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Do you think we would have still drafted Daniels had we been able to take Webster in the 2nd?
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's possible. We may have drafted Orton. I think we were targeting Crowder in the 3rd no matter what, and in the 4th we would have wanted a DL but there were no intriguing names out there so it would have been Daniels or Orton IMO, and I do think Nick would believe that corner was important enough to get both Webster and Daniels. But in the end who knows, we may have gone for Orton after all.

BTW I know Orton is a rookie but he and Gus Frerotte are pretty prime examples of why preseason is preseason and can be taken with a grain of salt a lot of times.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Out with LaMaga, in with Talita!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Pasadena, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    yeah, the hindsight looks great on webster now. and to have both of them right now would make me feel better about the pass D. however, nobody could have known about poole's injury. the loss of will poole was huge. i still think the secondary will improve as they take their lumps. maybe it's hope?
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Charlotte
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I doubt we would have but knowing what we know now I think it woul;d have been great to get both of them.
    The Postseason Patriots are dead, at least for this season. And Brady isn't quite sure what to do with the playoffs marching on without him.

"It's going to be hard to watch those games," he said. "Can both teams lose?"
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Michigan
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You can bet Buffalo will try to exploit this weakness and also expect Saban to make some changes scheme wise to adjust. Since I don't expect any players being signed anytime soon we'll have to wait and see how he attempts to fix this problem.

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MichFin80
    You can bet Buffalo will try to exploit this weakness and also expect Saban to make some changes scheme wise to adjust. Since I don't expect any players being signed anytime soon we'll have to wait and see how he attempts to fix this problem.
    Buffalo won't be able to exploit anything until they put Kelly Holcombe in at QB.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm glad we didn't take Orton. He has an elongated delivery and that won't allow him to become a top flight NFL QB. The Bears can pretend all they want. I'm going to continue to bet against this guy when they face a playoff caliber team and QB, like today. Palmer vs. Orton isn't exactly close.

No question our defense will improve dramatically once we get one more offseason to plug personnel holes. This is a good example of a coach applying his system and not molding it to fit the current personnel. The latter strategy is overhyped and flawed, IMO. You've got to do what you believe in and let the players learn and adjust. It also shows you who can adapt to your methods and excel in them, and who can't. You don't learn or accomplish anything by constantly accepting one less than ideal strategy after another simply because it supposedly fits your personnel. That's like the copout coach who wants to pretend a steady diet of 3 yard swing passes is the same as equal number of rushing attempts. They don't last long.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hmm, well I'm not so sure we'll improve dramatically next year. We bought some one-year stop-gap type players this year. We'll have to find more of those next year. Madison could be gone (cut), Holliday could be gone (cut, his 2 year deal is really more like a 1 year deal), and Traylor could be gone. Taylor and Zach a year older (they ARE human ya know) and Seau likely retired.

We'll have our work cut out for us. Important to keep drafting well. I doubt he becomes a full-fledged UFA due to his importance in Nolan's system, but Peterson as a LOLB in the 3-4 and a SSLB in 4-3 looks good as a pick up.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Cogito, Ergo FinFanum

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    With the Cheerleaders in the Premie Forum
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead
    It's possible. We may have drafted Orton. I think we were targeting Crowder in the 3rd no matter what, and in the 4th we would have wanted a DL but there were no intriguing names out there so it would have been Daniels or Orton IMO, and I do think Nick would believe that corner was important enough to get both Webster and Daniels.
    Yeah, but... we still had a healthy Will Poole on draft day. If Nick had grabbed Webster early and had a healthy Poole to refine a bit (Nick tending to focus much of his direct coaching on secondary), he'd have three starting-caliber CBs and a very capable nickel in Madison, Webster and Poole... with the additional depth of Howard. Not perfect, but probably not such an area of need that another CB would be at the top of the list in round 4.

Of course, if we got to round 5 and Daniels was still on the board, I can't imagine that Nick would pass on that value.
    Quote Quote