Article - Is Tua a Top 5 QB? | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article - Is Tua a Top 5 QB?

My point was if people are knocking Tua off of a top 5 or top 10 spot because he didn't win big games and almost all our big games unusually happened to be on the Road last year where hardly any QB has a winning record against good teams. So is that criteria or knock for judging QBs even valid if for the most part hardly anyone excels at that? So that leaves the criteria of judging QBs to mainly overall wins and losses and Stats/Metrics where like it or not, Tua comes up as top 3 to 5 the last two years despite an overall average OL and injured OL for most of the season. Like I said earlier only Mahomes and Josh Allen can take less talented offensive teams and still win. Burrow had lots of talent offensively and defensively the two years before last but you can put him in the third place in the top 5 ranking. Physical talent does not always translate onto the field so that is an overrated criteria by the National Media.

But you're talking averages.

Every great QB / Offense at some point shows they can go on the road (or at least into adverse environments) and get a tough win. This offense has yet to do that.

I pointed out that Burrow's massive contract was mostly built on winning road Playoff games. I pointed out that Mahomes has been great in the Playoffs, including his winning @ Buffalo and @ Baltimore en route to another Super Bowl title in 2023.

You can look at Josh Allen and the Bills in 2023 as well. They needed to go 5-0 in the final games to win the AFC East and that all got started with a win @ Chiefs. That run also included wins @ Chargers and @ Dolphins.

Buffalo won a Playoff game (at home) largely because they were able to win critical road games to steal the Division crown from Miami who failed to win their own critical road games. Meanwhile Miami had homefield advantage and could only muster 14 points.

It's hard to take seriously a defense of the Miami offense when it can't even win the big games with homefield advantage, let alone on the road.

Look at this team's history in late-season road games:

Dec-Jan 2022:
@SF - Loss
@LAC - Loss
@BUF - Loss
@NE - Loss
@BUF - Loss

Dec-Jan 2023:
@WAS - Win
@BAL - Loss
@KC - Loss

If people want to say that Miami's offense is productive and that Tua's a solid QB I don't think anyone would disagree. But if we're going to compare Tua and this offense to the great ones around the NFL it needs to prove it's worth in adverse conditions...not just early in the season or when they're at home with nothing on the line. Even home Playoff games are won on the back of hard-fought road games in the regular season (see Buffalo).

Last edited:
This year I would like to see a game manager more, I actually believe a good game manager means someone who knows how to move the offense and convert crucial situations, aka ''a winning qb''

When looking at Tuas game I think those intricacies have not been developed yet, thats unfortunate but since drafting Tua ive stated that he's a practical learner and needs to have the experiences on the field not the class room.

so my hope in him trimming up allows him enough confidence to move off the spot and run for some key first downs, take advantage of the speed on the field and what it does to a defense and take a few more easy check downs, all to ''manage the game better''

But you're talking averages.

Every great QB / Offense at some point shows they can go on the road (or at least into adverse environments) and get a tough win. This offense has yet to do that.

I pointed out that Burrow's massive contract was mostly built on winning road Playoff games. I pointed out that Mahomes has been great in the Playoffs, including his winning @ Buffalo and @ Baltimore en route to another Super Bowl title in 2023.

You can look at Josh Allen and the Bills in 2023 as well. They needed to go 5-0 in the final games to win the AFC East and that all got started with a win @ Chiefs. That run also included wins @ Chargers and @ Dolphins.

Buffalo won a Playoff game (at home) largely because they were able to win critical road games to steal the Division crown from Miami who failed to win their own critical road games. Meanwhile Miami had homefield advantage and could only muster 14 points.

It's hard to take seriously a defense of the Miami offense when it can't even win the big games with homefield advantage, let alone on the road.

Look at this team's history in late-season road games:

Dec-Jan 2022:
@SF - Loss
@LAC - Loss
@BUF - Loss
@NE - Loss
@BUF - Loss

Dec-Jan 2023:
@WAS - Win
@BAL - Loss
@KC - Loss

If people want to say that Miami's offense is productive and that Tua's a solid QB I don't think anyone would disagree. But if we're going to compare Tua and this offense to the great ones around the NFL it needs to prove it's worth in adverse conditions...not just early in the season or when they're at home with nothing on the line. Even home Playoff games are won on the back of hard-fought road games in the regular season (see Buffalo).

More interesting, in '22 and excluding SF, Miami's 4 losses were by 6,3,6,2. In '23, it was a loss (BALT) by 37 and BUF 7. worse, with 7 games left, TT didn't paas for 300 yds once and the run game generated ONE 100 yd game. I've already posted Miami's O deteriorating O in the 2H and worse in 4Q.
Yes, there were too many injuries late and Mcd cost the O A LOT!! But, I agree, in close games, TT has to prove he can will the team to one more score. He has all the tools. Yes, "ALL." IMO, he needs that one 'pull out' win to get him over the psychological hump.

I can answer this question without reading it.....No he is not....

In no particular order after Mahomes....

1. Mahomes

2. Josh Allen
3. Lamar Jackson
4. Joe Burrow
5. Aaron Rodgers

I dont think MOST people especially outside of Dolphins fans would say that Tua is better than any of these guys, and rightfully so. Just have to take off the homer classes.

Tua will be in the realm of Jared Goff and Kirk Cousins which isnt bad. I just dont think Tua will ever be among the "elite" which there are only like 3 that are truly "elite" QB's right now anyways.
They actually have classes to teach homerism? 😉😬

Back
Top Bottom