Chris Grier meets with the media | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chris Grier meets with the media

A few good notes:

Grier made pretty clear that the Dolphins are not in the market for a QB in R1 and that they are very happy with Tua.

Grier cited Parcells, Carroll and Saban by name as coaches who were influential in how he approaches preparing his board for the draft.

Grier said he basically thinks most every team sets their own board and more/less goes BPA in R1 and R2 before seeing their board end up "picked apart" by the later rounds where teams often try and acquire certain prospects for positional depth.

Grier considers Achane, AVG and X to have been some of his "prouder" moments of finding hidden gems. Nice to hear. I think we'd say the same.

The Tua contract talks have cooled mostly because it's draft time and the Dolphins are focusing on that. Tua & his agent are taking a step back to let the Dolphins handle that. This makes a lot of sense.

Grier credits Tua's various offseason self-improvement projects to Tua's own personal "will to be great." The jiu-jitsu and new QB coaches are things that Tua's communicated to the Dolphins, but they are essentially his own doing. Good to hear as well!

On Tua's bulking up in 2023, Grier said, "...to [Tua's] credit he's trying to do everything he can to be great." I would've liked a bit more clarity on how the team felt about Tua's weight gain. I think most of us here feel it really didn't add anything and might've ultimately been a bit unwanted. In any case, my take-away is that Grier is allowing Tua and McDaniel to plan the best path forward which makes sense. I don't think it's the GMs job to tell the QB how to train and it doesn't sound like Grier has any interest in doing that.

Towards the end Grier was asked about big contracts and whether those are confined to certain important positions (QB, WR, DB, Edge, LT, etc.). Surprisingly, Grier seemed to allude to the evolution of that into the NFL being more a league of "your good players" getting paid regardless of position. Grier brought up seeing DTs and WRs making big money. It suggests to me that every team is different and therefore faces a unique challenge in determining what commitments they're willing to make based on their unique set of needs. I thought it was a wise comment. Yes, there are trends but every situation is unique.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom