Reactions/Meltdowns of other fanbases & Patriots turned down WHAT for the #3 Pick. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Reactions/Meltdowns of other fanbases & Patriots turned down WHAT for the #3 Pick.

I wanna go on record and say, I think what they did was smart. Penix was my #3 QB in this draft and Cousins is old and is a choke artist.
I think their rationale was that Penix is QB1 in the typical draft and with Cousins the Falcons won't be picking highly enough to draft a QB1 before his deal is over. Penix gets to learn behind Cousins and insure against injury or carryover from the Achilles injury. Mahomes sat 2ish years, so did Love so that part is not unprecedented it just means less rookie deal run--not insurmountable. Yeah he will be 27 by the time he is forecast to take over as the starter, but he would still have 8-10 years of functional play left and that's plenty worth the investment.

My initial reaction was also wtf but after hearing more viewpoints I think there is good logic to what the Falcons did.

Maye is so young and his issues are very very correctable. Sorry I would have turned down the offers as well
On the other hand the Pats could have traded down (and probably down again), built up the rest of the team, and taken a late flyer on Rattler, Pratt etc, knowing that if that guy didn't flash franchise in 2024 they will likely be picking highly or have the capital to move up for a QB1 in 2025 (thus pushing the rookie deal window out one morr year). I'd have probably gone that route but guess it depends on the QB class in 2025.

As a Dolfan I'm glad they rushed to get a developmental QB without much team around him. Should be messy for a year or two.

On the other hand the Pats could have traded down (and probably down again), built up the rest of the team, and taken a late flyer on Rattler, Pratt etc, knowing that if that guy didn't flash franchise in 2024 they will likely be picking highly or have the capital to move up for a QB1 in 2025 (thus pushing the rookie deal window out one morr year). I'd have probably gone that route but guess it depends on the QB class in 2025.

As a Dolfan I'm glad they rushed to get a developmental QB without much team around him. Should be messy for a year or two.
There is a good argument to be made that the Patriots have the worst roster in Football.

If Maye busts, they will reu the day they turned down 3 first rounders for him.

How are you gonna balance your love for Maye and hatred for NE?

Somethings gotta give. Especially if he becomes as good as you say, you might have to change your name from DolphinsHeel to PatsFaceTurn
I grew up in Miami and was at the first MD game ever in the OB, so my love for the Dolphins goes deep, all the way back to 1966. In 1978 I was accepted as an out of state student and attended UNC. Since graduating as a Journalism/English major, I became a member of the Rams Club and have bought football season tix for decades. I know the UNC team and Drake Maye like the back of my hand. He is a fantastic QB, great person, great UNC family, and my hopes were dashed when he ended up in NE. He will be a problem there, but he’s is the enemy and I will be pulling against him. My head is with the Tar Heels but my heart has always been with the Miami Dolphins. That’s how.

There is a good argument to be made that the Patriots have the worst roster in Football.

If Maye busts, they will reu the day they turned down 3 first rounders for him.
The only way he busts is if they don’t protect him or give him weapons. He is at least 10X better than Mack Jones, he’s a winner and a tough SOB. Hate it.

I grew up in Miami and was at the first MD game ever in the OB, so my love for the Dolphins goes deep, all the way back to 1966. In 1978 I was accepted as an out of state student and attended UNC. Since graduating as a Journalism/English major, I became a member of the Rams Club and have bought football season tix for decades. I know the UNC team and Drake Maye like the back of my hand. He is a fantastic QB, great person, great UNC family, and my hopes were dashed when he ended up in NE. He will be a problem there, but he’s is the enemy and I will be pulling against him. My head is with the Tar Heels but my heart has always been with the Miami Dolphins. That’s how.
Episode 5 Ok GIF by Law & Order

Let me start off by saying I thought Maye's combo of bad throwing motion and awful footwork made him a late 1st round prospect.

I would have taken Williams, Daniels, Penix before him.

That being said NE took him at #3.....

Reportedly the Giants offered the #6 pick and a 2025 1st round pick for #3.

AND the Vikings offered picks #11, #23 and a 2025 1st round pick.

Ryan Gosling Reaction GIF
i do not believe these stories one bit. they were put out by the new england media AFTER the pats drafted drake maye. do you think the vikings would really offer that much for drake maye? not to mention they got their guy, jj mccarthy, and didnt need to give up much to move up one spot to get him. pats want to make it sound like they loved drake maye so much, they turned down the bag, and decided to draft him instead. it is all PR. the pats were doing everything they possibly could to trade the pick, because they did not have much in the way of belief in drake maye. he is full of obvious warts, many of which you stated in the OP. other NFL teams know this too. nobody was going to give up a bunch of draft capital to take him. not worth the risk. just pats PR, that came out after the draft

Let me start off by saying I thought Maye's combo of bad throwing motion and awful footwork made him a late 1st round prospect.

They should’ve taken the Vikings offe traded back and drafted Penix

Maye has Allens size and strength, so he has the potential to develop.
He could be their Ryan Tannehill

I mean unless he becomes good. I didn't expect josh allen to be good as he was so inaccurate and bad mechanics coming from college to bills. But sometimes the picks aren't worth it. Look what chiefs gave to bills to move up to get mahomes back in 2017 draft I think? I think Allen was a year later in 2018 draft
Allen was drafted before Mahomes no?

Allen was drafted before Mahomes no?
Allen was drafted a year after. Bills could've drafted Mahomes but traded with chiefs which allowed chiefs to move up and get mahomes. Bills got a good qb with Allen next year, but Allen is no mahomes

Maye has Allens size and strength, so he has the potential to develop.
He could be their Ryan Tannehill
Or Jay Cutler who could scamble, not like Allen or as big, but a bigger qb with a rocket arm. And Cutler had good seasons, but he was always an inconsistent qb

Was trying to explain on twitter to a masshole that Maye = Mac 2.0. Not the same skill set but both reaches and turnover machines. I got this in response

"Using color of skin to determine skill sets. You should watch football one day. It does wonders"

Only a masshole could imply I'm racist for comparing 2 white QBs smh. I love how delusional they're getting though. Just that more satisfying when we pick Maye off 3x both games

Back
Top Bottom