A Three Back Attack | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Three Back Attack

We generated those statistics by getting lots of chunk plays on early downs... which can give a misleading conclusion.

We struggled when teams keyed on the run... and then we ran, a d that's WHY McD didn't run more in short yardage situations.

Zone-blocking teams with small backs don't run well there. ZB works best when defenses have to worry about the pass. This creates huge running lanes and it's why you hear coaches talking about 'linemen hitting their marks'.

In a straight power situation like 3rd and 2, your quick footed ZB linemen just don't perform very well, and neither do 190# backs.

To have our success on first and second down, we sacrifice power on third downs. There's just no way around this. Guys like Solomon Kindley SUCK at ZB, but succeed on 3rd and 2.

You can have one or the other... unless you can find a 210# back who still has enough speed to play on first down...

Which we just did.
You are correct, but that is a matter of philosophy and team construction, rather than a simplistic statement that "we need to run more".

Why does this offense use a fullback?

Why take an explosive player off the field in favor of ingold who isn’t a threat run or catch really.?

Is his blocking on plays supersede what you could do with a two back set of Achane and Wright?

I
Just sharing support to the extent this old body (and mind) can. - LOL
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. - LOL
It's ok, I know you be a bit pissed at taking such a leathering over such "incompetent statistical analysis" 😂

We generated those statistics by getting lots of chunk plays on early downs... which can give a misleading conclusion.

We struggled when teams keyed on the run... and then we ran, a d that's WHY McD didn't run more in short yardage situations.

Zone-blocking teams with small backs don't run well there. ZB works best when defenses have to worry about the pass. This creates huge running lanes and it's why you hear coaches talking about 'linemen hitting their marks'.

In a straight power situation like 3rd and 2, your quick footed ZB linemen just don't perform very well, and neither do 190# backs.

To have our success on first and second down, we sacrifice power on third downs. There's just no way around this. Guys like Solomon Kindley SUCK at ZB, but succeed on 3rd and 2.

You can have one or the other... unless you can find a 210# back who still has enough speed to play on first down...

Which we just did.
Exactly... It's a side effect to how the whole thing is built... and given that they were both top 5 running or passing, it's a side effect you can happily live with...

"Hyperbole Alert" - "Hyperbole Alert"

That is just plain silly.
There is always a time and place for running at the QB position that can augment safety, not decrease it.

THINK about that!!!
Marino, Brady, Manning. 3 of the top 5 greatest qbs of all time say that you shouldn’t be running. How many of the all time greats ran a lot? Please don’t tell me the game has changed because people have been saying that since 1990. Qbs that run Do Not Win!

Why does this offense use a fullback?

Why take an explosive player off the field in favor of ingold who isn’t a threat run or catch really.?

Is his blocking on plays supersede what you could do with a two back set of Achane and Wright?
Yes. Our Oline is so so remember?

Marino, Brady, Manning. 3 of the top 5 greatest qbs of all time say that you shouldn’t be running. How many of the all time greats ran a lot? Please don’t tell me the game has changed because people have been saying that since 1990. Qbs that run Do Not Win!

I clearly remember having seen Brady and Manning running for their lives at times, so there is that. - LOL

This is some rookie-level ****. I want to see them bust out the single wing offense.

Back
Top Bottom