Are The Dolphins and Tua Further Apart Than People Think? | Page 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are The Dolphins and Tua Further Apart Than People Think?

thanks. this one hasn't worked out too well so far. i suspect if kyler murray were a free agent now, he would not come close to fetching this deal, and i also suspect arizona wishes they hadn't done it: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/kyler-murray-29036/
Yep, it was a bad contract for sure. But that has nothing to do with where Tuas camp are negotiating from.

They want top 5 money at least, prob pushing for top 3 based off last year's production.

Grier is probabaly at that Kyler number or Tuas team is wearing him down to accept something around 5y/255.

It just seems like they will meet somewhere right above the Kylar deal. Tuas saves face and gets to say he's a top 5 paid Qb and the Dolphins get a small discount on him.

Yep, it was a bad contract for sure. But that has nothing to do with where Tuas camp are negotiating from.

They want top 5 money at least, prob pushing for top 3 based off last year's production.

Grier is probabaly at that Kyler number or Tuas team is wearing him down to accept something around 5y/255.

It just seems like they will meet somewhere right above the Kylar deal. Tuas saves face and gets to say he's a top 5 paid Qb and the Dolphins get a small discount on him.
probably range of kyler murray deal give or take agree. this whole thing is now bringing back bad memories of josh rosen and flores and how that all went down

Last edited:
probably give or take. this whole thing is now bringing back bad memories of josh rosen and flores and how that all went down
No, not a good example, if you hate Tua this should remind you of the Tannehill 2nd contract.

I was a flag barrier for the Tannehill haters, I loath the guy, so I can relate to those who don't want to give Tua a 2nd contract.

There is just one huge difference, Tannehill sucked, Tua doesn't. Tua can lead the league in passing, Tannehill could never, Tua can win a Superbowl, maybe Tannehill could have too but he woulda needed the 85 Bears defense and the 2000 Rams offense around him to do it.

With Tua we just need a very good team and he can get us a ring, hes good enough. Turst me.

No, not a good example, if you hate Tua this should remind you of the Tannehill 2nd contract.

I was a flag barrier for the Tannehill haters, I loath the guy, so I can relate to those who don't want to give Tua a 2nd contract.

There is just one huge difference, Tannehill sucked, Tua doesn't. Tua can lead the league in passing, Tannehill could never, Tua can win a Superbowl, maybe Tannehill could have too but he woulda needed the 85 Bears defense and the 2000 Rams offense around him to do it.

With Tua we just need a very good team and he can get us a ring, hes good enough. Turst me.
i think maybe you misunderstood me. i wasnt trying to say the tua deal will work out like the kyler murray deal. was just saying mentioning arizona reminded me of josh rosen and flores. tannehill, FWIW, i think actually did lead the league in passing in 2019 and was also pretty darn good in 2020, although i was not a fan of him here, i think he also got a raw deal here too

i think maybe you misunderstood me. i wasnt trying to say the tua deal will work out like the kyler murray deal. was just saying mentioning arizona reminded me of josh rosen and flores. tannehill, FWIW, i think actually did lead the league in passing in 2019 and was also pretty darn good in 2020, although i was not a fan of him here, i think he also got a raw deal here too
Tannehill had so many holes in his game. It was foolish to give him a 2nd contract.

Tannehill had so many holes in his game. It was foolish to give him a 2nd contract.
this is what tends to happen. teams feel like they are damned if they do, damned if they don't. so most often they do. business decision as much as anything else. doesn't help the gm's career either to try and start over from scratch. funny story just heard the pats new GM, talking about lamar jackson. not that pats gm is any sort of a savant, but he is a mirror into how gms think, and probably just repeating what he has been told. he was with an organization that passed on lamar jackson. he said jackson was a great pick, but if he would have made it, he probably would have lost his job because jackson wasnt ready year 1, and the team would have stunk if jackson played right away, or something to that effect. anyway point is, these decisions are not the football first decisions we tend to think they are. business issues and career preservation issues are also involved

this is what tends to happen. teams feel like they are damned if they do, damned if they don't. so most often they do. business decision as much as anything else. doesn't help the gm's career either to try and start over from scratch
This is gonna strear this convo way off topic but I don't care.

Giants and Daniel Jones come to mind when talking about this topic.

My theory for this entire time is that Daniel Jones is basically another Tannehill, I said it the day he was drafted and IMO I've been pretty accurate on this assessment but admittedly, I do not watch much of the Giants....

My friend (Eagles fan) has some very interesting takes on the Jones. He watches the Giants closely and he is addiment that the Giants have no idea what they are doing with Jones, they are running the wrong system for him, have created an offense basicly tailored in the opposite of his best traits and that the minute Jones gets on a team with a good coach who knows how to use him, he's gonna be amazing.

I still thinks he's crazy with this take.

This is gonna strear this convo way off topic but I don't care.

Giants and Daniel Jones come to mind when talking about this topic.

My theory for this entire time is that Daniel Jones is basically another Tannehill, I said it the day he was drafted and IMO I've been pretty accurate on this assessment but admittedly, I do not watch much of the Giants....

My friend (Eagles fan) has some very interesting takes on the Jones. He watches the Giants closely and he is addiment that the Giants have no idea what they are doing with Jones, they are running the wrong system for him, have created an offense basicly tailored in the opposite of his best traits and that the minute Jones gets on a team with a good coach who knows how to use him, he's gonna be amazing.

I still thinks he's crazy with this take.
not to mention, i have no idea what the giants were thinking giving him that deal. they are terrible negotiators. but same issue, they were scared of letting him test the market, and losing him. i would have taken that risk with daniel jones as opposed to handing him that deal. but they were scared, had no backup plan, they thought they would be at least fine with him so they held their nose and did the deal. big mistake.

This Goff thing is so interesting. Especially since they just paid Sewell and St Brown bigly, and no reason to pay up for those guys without having the good QB around. I really wonder if Detroit is waiting for Miami, and Miami is waiting for Detroit? Or I also wonder, if for something like this, the GMs from each team speak to each other and ask "ballpark what are you thinking for a deal?" https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo.../report-extension-for-jared-goff-is-not-close

Last edited:
Thinking of Tannehill... If he signed a very cheap deal, would you consider having him replace White as the backup qb? I know he struggled last season, but he stil might be a better option than White if pressed into duty.

I would give Tua the opportunity to be among the top 3 QBs in pay, but with per year guaranteed money more inline with Kirk Cousins and the final year or two structured as a team option with a fair buyout if the option is declined. Some incentives should be scaled to salary cap growth. Don't want the guy to be thinking he is underpaid or under respected but the team needs protection too. Tua's has had one healthy season out of 4 and has a mixed record against top defenses, notwithstanding the excellent aspects of his game and improving trajectory.

not to mention, i have no idea what the giants were thinking giving him that deal. they are terrible negotiators. but same issue, they were scared of letting him test the market, and losing him. i would have taken that risk with daniel jones as opposed to handing him that deal. but they were scared, had no backup plan, they thought they would be at least fine with him so they held their nose and did the deal. big mistake.
Their backup plan was that hot dog salesman (something like that) who won three straight or something. That was a funny story at the time. I do think they botched that deal. As someone said, Jones reminds me a lot of Tannehill.

Back
Top Bottom