Are The Dolphins and Tua Further Apart Than People Think? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are The Dolphins and Tua Further Apart Than People Think?

phinsforlife

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Conclusion first, since I think people are missing the question:

Not to bias anyone, I think there is a real hard negotiation going on. My view is something gets done, but the number will be in the 40's as opposed to 50's....this is how negotiations go when both sides have good points, you tend to end up in the middle:

This is not an attempt to start a debate about Tua's merits as a QB. The question is, what is the state of the negotiation? Are the two sides close, or still far apart?

IF the two sides were close, we would have a deal already. Clearly we don't have a deal. So that implies there is a real negotiation going on here.

In any negotiation, the two sides will make their case. Tua's side will say he led the league in passing yards, top QBs get mid 50's million. The Dolphins will say, he still has not won a playoff game, faded down the stretch last year, and needs a lot of help around him that will be impossible to provide if he takes up that much of the salary cap. That is a $30-$35mm per year QB. That also leaves a $20-$25mm per year difference between the two sides. The amount of difference is bigger than the salary of any other single player. The other thing I wonder, is if the Dolphins are saying in their negotiation something akin to "well we can let you play out the 5th year option, and then franchise you the next year, and the total dollars in those two years will be less than $100mm ($50mm per year x 2) so we could just do that." Tua's side will say yeah, but you won't be deferring any of that money into the future to make the cap easier to manage now, and back and forth they go.

THEN, we are seeing a lot more articles and comments like this from the local media, this is the Sun Sentinel today: Chris Perkins: Dolphins shouldn’t give Tua an extension, and certainly not superstar money

Some may think the media thinks independently. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they do things like this at the behest of the team. The team wants stuff like this out there as part of their negotiating strategy. Gets the fans on their side, and they know the guys at the other side of the table see these articles.

The question is, do you think they are close on a deal, and what is the number, years and dollars, and when do you think it will be announced OR are the two sides still far apart and this whole thing is not going as smoothly as people might believe?

Last edited:
YARN | Douche chill. | Arrested Development (2003) - S01E21 Not Without My  Daughter | Video clips by quotes | d1bd6a33 | 紗

LOL at the OP.

How can you NOT expect it to turn into the merits of this QB of ours? If he could deliver, the team would have had him under a new contract a year ago. Kind of like Dak in Dallas, right? So yeah, this WILL turn into that kind of thread. Is the organization having some doubts? Can there be any doubt of this? Are they close to re-upping with him? God only knows? Might they look at least a little at some of the draft options? Maybe

nah, I think both Tua and the Dolphins are in Miami
timing of announcement and size of deal?
you know what I think they should do (have him play out the option), BUT my expectation was that they would cave and give Tua the big number.
my sense now though is that contrary to my expectations, surprisingly they are not outright caving, and having a real negotiation here.
i think something is going to get done, but i also think that number will have a 4 as opposed to a 5 in front of it
it is odd that something like 5 years and $225mm would be viewed as some sort of insult. call me crazy, that still seems like a crap ton of money to me!

I have no idea what Miami is thinking, but the smart decision is to let Tua play on the 5th year option and make him earn his next contract. He hasn't proven anything yet other than the ability to demolish creampuffs, we need more than that.

Unless of course he wants to sign a Daniel Jones type contract with an out after year 2 for about 45 million a year, 4 years total. That would be acceptable for Miami imo, but I doubt Tua would accept that. So far, that's all he's earned. I hope he gives us a hometown discount, he's not good enough to win without an excellent supporting cast and I hope he realizes this.

I think the team is pretty content with Tua playing the season on his option. They don't really need the cap savings any longer. That ship has sailed.
To be honest it actually plays into Miami favor to have the cap savings next year after the way this off-season has played out.

Whether its with June's money from the Howard cut or next year with the money we are set up to have, we will get something done. Grier is not going to let Tua walk for nothing... if anything he'll trade Tua if there’s a problem. Hes not walking away for nothing like Wilkins. Point is we will be fine...This is a

Hungry Food GIF

Someone posted a timeline of when the most recent QB extensions took place….. if I remember correctly, July-August takes the cake. I don’t have any insider information but I think they’ll work something out before the season starts.

Tua already said no chance he’s holding out during camp so there’s that.

I really hope they don't give him the 50 million everyone thinks he's going to get. I say let him play on the 5th year option. I say this because this regime hasn't won anything yet; all they did was put up some meaningless stats. If they choke in the big games again next season and fail to make the playoffs or fail to win a playoff game, then Ross should clean house. It wouldn't be right to possibly burden a new regime with a high-priced QB that they may not want.

Look at when the other mega QB deals have been signed recently

Herbert July 26
Burrow Sept.9
Hurts April. 17
Mahomes restructures Sept.18
Kyler Murray July 21

I stopped looking up guys there.

No one is signing any big contracts from here to the draft. That is just due diligence. Example Caleb Williams falls to 21.

I would look for Tua's deal to come near the end of July or maybe just before the season

Most NFL players who just had a monster season will not play on a 1 year deal.... maybe Tua is built different but his agent is not

Patience for those that want it to happen and for those that do not......I see your agony when no QB is drafted, I see your agony when Tua signs a QB mega deal and I hope in all cases that Tua earns the money he gets and leads the Miami Dolphins to the Super Bowl!!!! WIN

Last edited:
I have no idea what Miami is thinking, but the smart decision is to let Tua play on the 5th year option and make him earn his next contract. He hasn't proven anything yet other than the ability to demolish creampuffs, we need more than that.

Unless of course he wants to sign a Daniel Jones type contract with an out after year 2 for about 45 million a year, 4 years total. That would be acceptable for Miami imo, but I doubt Tua would accept that. So far, that's all he's earned. I hope he gives us a hometown discount, he's not good enough to win without an excellent supporting cast and I hope he realizes this.
I totally agree. Lets see what he can do with his Miami career on the line! However, I'm sure they will end up coming to an agreement on a contract before the season starts, so moot point.

Back
Top Bottom