Better or Worse? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Better or Worse?

The question marks remain OT, OG, DT, DE and WR.

1) OT/OG: while Miami addressed the OT position with the drafting of Patrick Paul. Questions still remain. A) Health and B) Paul's learning curve. At OG, A) Health seems to be a recurring theme. Will Wynn stay healthy enough for a full season. B) Who are the backups? Are they good enough? Is Ryan Hayes the wildcard in all of this? Can he become the jack of all trades? Is he talented enough to take the bull by the horns and win a starting job. What about Jack Driscoll?

2) DT: Miami brought in 8 F/A to try and fill the void left by Wilkins departure. Are they capable of at least stopping the run? Does anyone rise to the top?

3) DE: Where are the 6'5" - 6'6", 280lb 3/4 types? The Zack Seiler type players?

4) WR: Where are the WR's who can block outside of Cracraft and EZ? Waddle, Hill and both Washington's are smurfs. It was presumed Miami was looking for A WR #3 with some height and blocking ability. Was there a change in philosophy?

If these questions aren't answered in a positive manner. There's a strong possibility Miami regresses overall in 2024.
Waddle and Hill may not be great blockers but they don’t get paid to block. They get paid to catch passes and last season they had a combined 191 catches for nearly 2900 yards.

Signing Smith as a new TE who can be used as a larger WR who can block is one way they can improve the blocking from their receiver corp.

The least of my worry in regards to Hill, Waddle, and even Washington is their size and their lack of blocking. As long as they are putting up nearly 200 catches a year combined for nearly 3000 yards, that is fine with me.

What they need are offensive linemen who can be more productive in the running game.

Waddle and Hill may not be great blockers but they don’t get paid to block. They get paid to catch passes and last season they had a combined 191 catches for nearly 2900 yards.

Signing Smith as a new TE who can be used as a larger WR who can block is one way they can improve the blocking from their receiver corp.

The least of my worry in regards to Hill, Waddle, and even Washington is their size and their lack of blocking. As long as they are putting up nearly 200 catches a year combined for nearly 3000 yards, that is fine with me.

What they need are offensive linemen who can be more productive in the running game.
I couldn't care less about 3000 yards. They haven't Won Jack Squat with two of the more dynamic WR to ever wear a Dolphins uniform. They fold like wet paper napkins. Until they change the narrative from finesse to physical in your face football. Things will stay the same.

I think this team will continue to improve under McDaniel, but the progress won't likely be linear.

I hope Weaver is the right fit at DC. That along with Phillips and Chubbs's recoveries are the wildcards, but I'm optimistic about Weaver, and I do think Chop Robinson and maybe even Mohamed Kamara will have an immediate impact on the pass rush - not to their full potential, of course.

If Chubb and Phillips can come close to returning to full strength, I think the overall pass rush will be better - even with the loss of Wilkins. And, I think the run D will be about as good with the additions of Tart and Brooks.

The offense should be better with Jonnu Smith, Year 3 for McDaniel, Year 2 for Berry (Barry?), and the rookies.

I couldn't care less about 3000 yards. They haven't Won Jack Squat with two of the more dynamic WR to ever wear a Dolphins uniform. They fold like wet paper napkins. Until they change the narrative from finesse to physical in your face football. Things will stay the same.
I don’t care how you feel about it either. The problem isn’t at the WR position. The problem is the OL and the OL’s ability to be more physical in the running game.

They have been in the playoffs the past two seasons but they were unfortunate enough to have injuries to key starters on offense and defense late in the season. That happens in the NFL and that’s why I’m not as nearly upset as you seem to be.

The fact is there only one winner and 31 losers every season. The Chiefs were the winners last year and how the others teams finished is irrelevant to me. The goal of every team going into the season is to win the SB. If they fail to win the SB they are losers and no better than the worst team in the league, IMO.

Better

For all of the reasons already listed but the addition of Jonnu Smith at TE is going to add a dimension to this offense we haven't seen yet!

Brewer and Driscoll will fill in adequately for the losses at C and RG.

Well if you look at where Fins were at start of last season, I'd say worse, but its close. No Hunt, No Williams, No Wilkins, No Van Ginks, and No Chubby and possibly No Phillips. The TE room got better, possibly RB too. I dont like to count on rooks too much cause you just never know. Oline and Dline are real concerns to me. Jests look to be much better, and Bills own the Fins until proven otherwise.

Well let's break this down by position.

QB: Equal, no significant change
WR: Improved, hard to believe but I think this group is better
RB: Improved, youth was improved
TE: Improved, Smith is an upgrade on paper, nothing else is changed

OL: Incomplete, this is tricky because you need rookies and Free Agents to step up, I wanted to say equal but it is "unknown" so graded accordingly.

So with the O, improved on paper....,

The D is..........well, tricky...... I need some time to think on this. I want to lean toward improved to be honest I can also say incomplete.

Edge/OLB, as with the OL it will depend on a few younger guys, Chop and Phillips and Chubb's recovery from injury so = incomplete
CB is equal, I was in the camp that Howard needed to be gone two years ago or moved to slot. His lack of suiters tells you all you need to know.
SS = this probably equal also and it depends on the system that is installed.
LB = improved, Long and Brooks will be just fine in the middle.
DL = here it is, the elephant in the room, is Wilkins departure gonna be huge or is the money ball approach gonna look genius. IDK = incomplete.

If the line play improves or is equal on both sides of the ball, the team is improved. If the line play is worse on both sides, the team is going to be worse. Line play will be the key to the improved or worse aspect of this entire team, trenches for the win.

Excellent.

Now that the draft is in the books and free agency is nearing the final stages, how would you evaluate the Miami roster?

Better than last year, or worse?

Let's take it a step further and talk about our opponents in the AFC East.
I think our defense will be nasty especially with the scheme change!

Now that the draft is in the books and free agency is nearing the final stages, how would you evaluate the Miami roster?

I don't think it's as simple as better/worse.

CW and Hunt were big hits, no doubt, but other than that? I think we are better in some areas, such as LB.

JP and Chubb are unknowns. How long until they return to form, if at all.

Individual players aside, what will the defense look like under Weaver? We had talent last year, but the usage and stubbornness of the DC rendered it impotent to an extent, IMO. I was not a fan of VF and his vaunted scheme from the start. I kind of softened mid season but I didn't see the top level adjustments needed. I mean that Titan's game was a travesty. Yeah, I know the offense didn't show either, but that's exactly the type of game you pay a supposed defensive guru to pull through.

OK...... Rant over ..

I dont know if we will see a big drop off in whoever replaces X, Wilkins, Williams, Hunt, Baker and Ogbah. Many think it is likely and thats probably going to bear out in part. There could be some positive surprises.

However i am pretty certain that the second string of players behind those replacements will be much improved over last year. The injuries last year hurt worse because the team lacked quality depth. We will again have injuries but the team has put itself in a position to better weather those injuries.

As for the other teams i dont follow closely enough to have any conviction. In my eyes the Jets will be much improved--at least at the start--while the Bills traded sideways (Fins are close enough to both teams that their series' could really go either way) and the Pats remain in the cellar with Brisket and marginally improved talent around him. Maye is tbd as to how good and how soon.

I think we are net better.

We improved at the following positions at least on paper:

-running back
-tight end
-wr ( do not underestimate the addition of Malik Washington)

-inside Linebacker
-cornerback (x;s injuries and play faded last year)
-outside linebacker with the two additions we made chop and Mo

Oline I’d like to see us add another free agent, to deal with the loss of Hunt, Eich and others should be improved.
Defensive tackle I think will be just fine in terms of solid pieces competing for snaps in the rotation. Didn’t need to replace Wilkins with one player, we can and have replaced him with multiple players who will com in waves.

All in all I think we have improved the roster from last year and we aren’t done yet.

The bottom line is that the OL still stinks, until that becomes dominant, not just serviceable Tua will always struggle.
If leading the league in passing yards is struggling i guess Tua is even better than the most rose-colored assessments give him credit for.

Back
Top Bottom