CFL rookie of the year Qwan’tez Stiggers set to visit Dolphins Monday | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

CFL rookie of the year Qwan’tez Stiggers set to visit Dolphins Monday

I thought so too... I got excited thinking we usually sign these guys....but I think he actually got into the draft....I couldn't find anything saying he was a FA... it was all about pro day stuff and how he was visiting a few teams...so this kinda sucks its like a tease 😂
It doesn’t look like he’s a free agent. He is making visits to a bunch of teams as one of their 30 visits. Its looks like he’ll be in the draft.

Weird that he is going through the draft given he has professional experience.

I don't think he would make more money as a FA. Minimum salary would be the same either eay due to 0 years of NFL experience

Weird that he is going through the draft given he has professional experience.

I don't think he would make more money as a FA. Minimum salary would be the same either eay due to 0 years of NFL experience
think he has to go through draft due to his age

think he has to go through draft due to his age

His 3rd and 5th INTs were pretty good. 1,2 and 4 were just bad throws, although he did appear to catch the ball rather naturally. Also some nice hits. Would’ve liked to have seen some PBUs but given how they play in the CFL, your not going to have normal looking defensive plays.

He turned 21 this past January so he’s inside the 3 years removed from HS graduation to be required to go through the draft.

Interestingly though he was asked for confirm his age because during a broadcast they said he was 23 at the time. He said he was born January 2nd, 2002. Weird to have to be asked that declare that publicly.

Who knows though, maybe someone did something to some paperwork to make someone else more appealing to prospective drafters. Not making an accusation.

Last edited:
I thought so too... I got excited thinking we usually sign these guys....but I think he actually got into the draft....I couldn't find anything saying he was a FA... it was all about pro day stuff and how he was visiting a few teams...so this kinda sucks its like a tease 😂
What made me wonder was the line about us using one of our 30 in person visits. I assumed he was a FA like every other CFL player. Maybe bc he was a Rookie in the CFL he isn't a FA, its weird and now I can't sleep until I figure this out.

What made me wonder was the line about us using one of our 30 in person visits. I assumed he was a FA like every other CFL player. Maybe bc he was a Rookie in the CFL he isn't a FA, its weird and now I can't sleep until I figure this out.

It’s his age.

By league standards he’s a junior coming out of college. He’s gotta go through the draft because he’s 3 years removed from HS graduation.

In theory this would also prevent the top HS players in the country from going to the CFL for a year or two and then entering the draft a year earlier than they should be able to or trying to be free agents earlier than the league allows.

If he were one year older, he would’ve been a FA.

Last edited:
It’s his age.

By league standards he’s a junior coming out of college. He’s gotta go through the draft because he’s 3 years removed from HS graduation.

In theory this would also prevent the top HS players in the country from going to the CFL for a year or two and then entering the draft a year earlier than they should be able to or trying to be free agents earlier than the league allows.

If he were one year older, he would’ve been a FA.

I’m probably wrong on this, but I thought if a player has never declared for and gone through an NFL Draft, they can’t simply sign as a free agent with another team, regardless of age.

Let’s say a consensus #1 overall college QB takes a redshirt year, has an injury redshirt year, and uses the covid bonus year and is 24/25 years old.

He simply can’t refuse to declare for the NFL Draft and then sign with any team as a free agent.

I’m probably wrong on this, but I thought if a player has never declared for and gone through an NFL Draft, they can’t simply sign as a free agent with another team, regardless of age.

Let’s say a consensus #1 overall college QB takes a redshirt year, has an injury redshirt year, and uses the covid bonus year and is 24/25 years old.

He simply can’t refuse to declare for the NFL Draft and then sign with any team as a free agent.
Yea but I think NCAA players have a totally different rule set then players coming from other places.

Are not all Draftees in effect Free Agents who can sign, or not sign, with any team that drafts them??

Why not, since there is no contract involved until after they sign one?

Back
Top Bottom