Chop | Page 29 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chop

Uhh, this is football, not basketball. It is a game of leverage. Low man wins most of the time. Quibbling over an inch or two of height on an edge rusher is just looking for some snivel and whine about.
Just smh
not really, Chop only has 32" arms, long armed OT's are going to be a problem for his to keep out of his body.

Reach or Need? Need and was defintely the best player on the board, I watched him live at Penn State at a few games and he was the best player on the field, he just stood out when playing, elite player. The only other two lions in the past bunch of years to stand out like him were Parsons and Barkley. Great pick, this kid will be reacking havoc all over the field. Nice to have a real edge linbacker again. He is Parsons clone, enjoy the show. He will have immediate impact.

Where are your GM credentials?
Where are anyone's?

NFL front offices are not credential based jobs. It's not the medical community with licenses and being on medical boards. It's not the finance community and having certifications. There's no academic training to be a GM or scout. There's no test or knowledge check you can do to show if you know how to do you job. To get into the business, you typically need an "in" to crack the small tight knit FO community....former player/coach, family/friends in the business, professional network from putting in years in HS or college programs. Many have tried to break in from the outside with no luck.

Whoever drafted Brady so late must be the greatest GM of all time right? Well if they knew he was so good, why didn't they draft him earlier? Drafting has so many variables, from skill to luck and everything in-between. It's just as much analytics as it is feel.

We had the #1 offense in total YPG, the #1 passing offense, and the #6 rushing offense. Tied for 4th fewest sacks allowed.

LT Armstead - 10 starts
LG Cotton - 8 starts
C Williams - 9 starts
RG Hunt - 10 starts
RT Jackson - 16 starts

They can make it work, we played a large part of the season without these starters. People are creating massive needs that don't exist.
Nice stats, but that's all they are... stats. What good is having the #1 Offense if you can't beat the top teams? This top offense scored just one TD against Dallas and were lucky to win that game and scored just one TD in the Wild Card game against the Chiefs.

While IMO the stats are meaningless when it comes to how the season played out, I do think that those stats show that the offense has potential. However, to realize that potential, they need a BETTER o-line and BETTER playcalling (by someone other than McDaniel).

Not to mention I think AVG was 24 when we picked him. In comparison, Verse is turning 24 before week 1 and Latu will be 24 before the postseason. Chop doesn’t turn 22 until January 2025.

Patience is key here. He’s a high end talent with loads of potential. He CAN contribute immediately but we won’t see the finished product for 2-3 years. Thats exciting to me, and right in time for when it’s time to move on from Chubb.

There’s too much focus on sack production. He was top 10 in the FBS in pressures in 2023. Played the entire season as a 20-year old.

This kind of data is GREAT and very useful.....but it's simply another data point, just like combine testing, interviews, game tape, practice habits, etc.

According to this data, Maxx Crosby and Brian Burns were questionable picks that likely wouldn't work out. Bralen Trice should have been a sure first rounder as well.

Chop brings a LOT to the table. Athletic freak, incredible burst, disruptive, relentless motor, high character kid, better against the run than he gets credit. Brings things to the table you can't coach. But with that are questions. Raw....particularly hands. Doesn't have a diverse set of moves/counters. Short arms that do show up on tape when the tackle gets him early. On the ground more than other top edge guys bc in his arc he really dips his shoulder to beat the OT. The tackles in the NFL might be able to slide him buy if he can't develop better speed to power or use his hands better for initial separation.

I agree and disagree. I think it was both. When the o-line fell apart, the team fell apart. But also, our offense was way too one dimensional. When teams were able to stop our speed, we couldn't adjust and show them a legitimate Plan B. That's why I'm hoping we add a legit possession receiver and a RB that can wear out a defense and slow the game down. Our offense desperately needs both.

If we go into this season with the same one dimensional offense that we had last season, we'll have last season's results at best.
More weapons would help somewhat, but the underlying problem is not just less-than-stellar o-line play, but also McDaniel's poor playcalling and adjusting. His inexperience and stubbornness is why the offense is one-dimensional.

Where are anyone's?

NFL front offices are not credential based jobs. It's not the medical community with licenses and being on medical boards. It's not the finance community and having certifications. There's no academic training to be a GM or scout. There's no test or knowledge check you can do to show if you know how to do you job. To get into the business, you typically need an "in" to crack the small tight knit FO community....former player/coach, family/friends in the business, professional network from putting in years in HS or college programs. Many have tried to break in from the outside with no luck.

Whoever drafted Brady so late must be the greatest GM of all time right? Well if they knew he was so good, why didn't they draft him earlier? Drafting has so many variables, from skill to luck and everything in-between. It's just as much analytics as it is feel.
If you’re gonna make dumb statements then at least give an analysis for your reasoning
Something the other poster failed to do

I agree, guard is not a foregone conclusion. Think the FO believes they can pick up a FA veteran guard once we have some $$ post June 1.
This makes sense, considering that in recent history (since Philbin), nearly all of Miami's best o-linemen were guys drafted by other teams. IOW, the Front Office sucks at building a strong, competent, HEALTHY (Grier likes signing guys with a history of injuries) o-line.

So, his teammates on the 2nd ranked college defense voted him defensive MVP just for the hell of it?
Being a good teammate and being a leader are good things. But I could not care less what his teammates voted for. His tape shows a raw prospect. That is why he was ranked the 4th edge player despite his age and elite athleticism. You could make the argument he would have been a day 2 prospect without his combine numbers.

Back
Top Bottom